The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2008, 03:49 PM   #1
acl

radio help

Would like some input good and bad about aftermarket radios to fit our trucks. The boy would like a radio for Christmas with am/fm and input for his ipod. We do not want to cut dash(I know, thats a debate in itself). I have looked at back threads but not what i want. If you have bought one and liked it or hated it Let me know please. Both opinions are appreciated. Gary
acl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:41 PM   #2
cparman
sharp as a marble

Re: radio help

www.retrosoundusa.com

I installed one of these in a 71 Blazer with kick panel speakers, and it sounded pretty good. It has connections on the face for USB and IPOD. I thought it was pretty cool, and on the back it has provisions for Amplifier connections so your son can annoy you with THAT music they listen to. Remember when our parents told us to turn that awful music down??? Rolling Stones, Beatles, The Who, Led Zeplin. Now that stuff is on muzak in the elevators, and department stores.

Last edited by cparman; 11-26-2008 at 06:42 PM.
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:09 PM   #3
tinlid

Rolling Stone, Beattles, The Who, Who? How about Elvis, Buddy Holly, The Big Bopper, Neil Sadaka. Mom now says they are ok, she guesses, and she is 87.
tinlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 03:58 AM   #4
leddzepp

Thumbs up Re: radio help

Zep Rules!
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 06:51 AM   #5
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparman View Post
www.retrosoundusa.com

I installed one of these in a 71 Blazer with kick panel speakers, and it sounded pretty good. It has connections on the face for USB and IPOD. I thought it was pretty cool, and on the back it has provisions for Amplifier connections so your son can annoy you with THAT music they listen to. Remember when our parents told us to turn that awful music down??? Rolling Stones, Beatles, The Who, Led Zeplin. Now that stuff is on muzak in the elevators, and department stores.
Thanks for the link, pretty cool. Nice mounting system

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 08:48 AM   #6
70 net440

Crutchfield makes an underdash din mount that can be turned upside down and then mounted inside the glove box. I did this in my son's '71, and it worked pretty well.
70 Dart Swinger
71 K10
70 net440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 12:52 PM   #7
acl

Lucky for me, for some reason my son likes the music I grew up with. Thanks for the input so far, any horror stories about these radios other than Neil Sadaka Gary
Old 11-27-2008, 01:11 PM   #8
tinlid

Some of the Corvairs have an underdash radio mount box that could be easily modified for a later model radio. A friend has a tissue dispenser that he tranfers from vehicle to vehicle with his radio contained within. Leave the stock non working radio in its place.
tinlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 04:28 PM   #9
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Mananian has a face plate that can accept a DIN-sized radio, AFTER you cut the dash. yeah, I know....you don't want to cut it. I didn't want to cut mine either, but what I also don't want is being limited to about 2 or 3 specialty radios that have been adapted from some manufacturer (like Kenwood, Clarion, Durabrand, or whoever) and made to work from a physical standing. The DIN-specific radios offer a lot more in the way of power, options and the ability to be upgraded when something else comes along that supersedes it in feature and function.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 05:19 PM   #10
Sinister
Between Trucks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevLoRay View Post
Mananian has a face plate that can accept a DIN-sized radio, AFTER you cut the dash. yeah, I know....you don't want to cut it. I didn't want to cut mine either, but what I also don't want is being limited to about 2 or 3 specialty radios that have been adapted from some manufacturer (like Kenwood, Clarion, Durabrand, or whoever) and made to work from a physical standing. The DIN-specific radios offer a lot more in the way of power, options and the ability to be upgraded when something else comes along that supersedes it in feature and function.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:42 AM   #11
acl

I have the dash cut on mine as well, BUT so far he does not want to so... He want it orig. for now, which kind of makes me proud for an 18 year old to be interested in that and not some small honda or such. So still looking for input good or bad for a radio that will fit our trucks. Thanks for the help Gary
Old 12-01-2008, 09:13 AM   #12
Andy4639
Old member

Have you read here any? There is a lot of differant setups. I respect him for not cutting the dash. There is someone using a stock radio with a Ipod mod done to it.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...play.php?f=111

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:57 AM   #13
acl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Have you read here any? There is a lot of differant setups. I respect him for not cutting the dash. There is someone using a stock radio with a Ipod mod done to it.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...play.php?f=111
Yes i have, and lots of good ideas. But i guess i am looking for the aftermath of the purchase, good or bad just or items to stay away from. Thanks
Old 12-01-2008, 12:35 PM   #14
leddzepp

Your sound quality is determined by the speakers, not the radio. Whatever radio you end up purchasing, be sure to get good quality speakers.
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:45 PM   #15
67slammer

when i was at carlisle all truck nationals there was a guy there that took the am/fm radios out of our truck and modified them to have cd changer controls and i pod hook ups.
67slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:30 PM   #16
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

i am planning on making a radio box to fit a new remote aftermarket radio with mp3 capabilities (i-pod) & installing it under the seat, i will then have the remote relay to a led on the dash next to my vintage air controller that will be read by the remote or just control it from the
mp3 player next to me on the seat. i currently have a radio delete plate in the stock location. hope this helps with any ideas.... good luck
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote