The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2008, 09:20 PM   #1
bucket

broken rear cab mount bolt. what to do?

wouldn't you know it. last bolt to remove while replacing the cab mounts broke in the middle. any suggestions short of pulling the seat and gas tank then drilling out captive nut? i don't know if i can get at it with grips to turn what is left.
bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:21 AM   #2
Aarons72s

Re: broken rear cab mount bolt. what to do?

I hate to tell you this but the easiest way is to just pull the seat and tank. I had to do this on my orange and white in early 2000 to put on new body mounts. My bolts had just about exploded with rust. Let me put it to you this way, the bolt diameter was almost double its original size from rusting and the only amount of good metal left was about the size of a #6 screw when it broke. Well I had one side do what yours did. I pulled the seat and tank, not to hard. Once this was done I just chieseld out the old capture nut and pulled it out. I then just used a regular nut and washer in its place.
Aarons72s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:27 AM   #3
Huck

Re: broken rear cab mount bolt. what to do?

The rears come up from the bottom and are a real PITA once broken. I might try jacking up the cab just a bit and gripping the remaining stud with good vice grips from the bottom. Soak top nut with rust buster for a day or so first. Good luck~~Huck
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote