The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2008, 09:48 PM   #1
1LIME69

Cluster Fluster

Wanting to know if anyone has encountered the problem of having no cluster lights. I have checked the ground and the power wire feeding the cluster and both seem to be working properly. Is it possible the cluster has just gone bad? Somebody please help.
1LIME69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:07 PM   #2
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

Re: Cluster Fluster

could be a couple of things. the printed circuit may have deteriorated so it could be grounding out. also check the "panel lights" fuse on the fuse panel (upper right). should be a 5 amp.

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by tcb-1; 11-29-2008 at 10:07 PM.
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:09 PM   #3
RJGeister
Retired Air Force 87-09

Have you checked the headlight switch? It rotates to brighten or dim the lights in the cluster. Pull it out till the headlights come on and rotate it from one stop to the other. The lights in the cluster should brighten then dim.

Check the bulbs. They are in the black holders in the back of the cluster. Quarter turn and they are out. The bulb will be black when they are burned out.

If that doesn't work I would tale the cluster out and clean it. Gently take the clister apart to include the printed card. Clean each of the contacts with a pencil eraser. The abrasive in the eraser will clean the contacts. Be sure that you have a good hold on the printed card or you will tear it. While I was at it, I wiped the gauges with a damp to almost dry cloth. I cleaned the housing and outer plastic clusted in dish soap and rinsed in clear water. Dried it all off really well. I let it set for a day to ensure all the water waas gone. Put it all back together and it worked like it was new.

Hope this helps.

Rich
RJGeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:15 PM   #4
1LIME69

Yes I did check the headlight knob, fuse in the fuse panel and the bulbs also. Maybe I do need to take it apart and clean it. Just seems odd that none of the lights work.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:31 PM   #5
lks dcvn

An easy way to see what may be the culprit is to test the cluster lights outside the car...

When you have the cluster out - get some alligator clips and a car battery and you can check to see if the cluster will illuminate.

With the cluster laying on it's face (gauges down) connect the negative wire to the top row left-most metal tab on the circuit board and connect the positive wire to the top row (just next to the other one above)...

This will light up the cluster so you can check to see if your cluster is working. Then you can move onto testing the wiring, fuses, etc., but this will let you know easily if your cluster has working bulbs and circuit boards...

I can get a pic to show you what I am talking about if that will help...let me know.
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:41 PM   #6
1LIME69

Thanks lks dcvn, will keep that in mind next time I'm tinkering with that. Have a lot of issues I'm trying to solve. Guess it should be expected with a 40 year old vehicle. LOL
Old 11-29-2008, 10:43 PM   #7
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

does the light on the heater control work? How about in the cigar lighter? (not all trucks had this)
If either of them work, then the problem will be in the inst panel, or worst case, in the plug/wires feeding it.
Your fuel guage work properly?
Turn signal indicators?
High beam indicator?
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:25 AM   #8
1956cameo

I had a similiar problem on my 72 burb. All of the guages work but no dash lights. Since I don't know much about electronics I assumed that either all of the bulbs are bad or the printed circuit was. I took a random dash bulb out and tested it. The bulb was good but for some reason the little black housing it was in wasn't (no current flow even when bulb was in). Tested bulbs out of a parts dash and the bulbs and the bulb housings from it were all good. I was going to put them into my burb but my dad told me that all the dash lights were now on. So I don't know if this was just luck or what; but maybe one of the bulb housings is bad and is causing the rest not to work. Don't know if this is possible since I haven't put the bad bulb housing back in to see if they go out, but I would test them

Last edited by 1956cameo; 11-30-2008 at 10:26 AM.
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:36 PM   #9
1LIME69

Longhorn Man, yes my turn signals, high beams, cig lighter, heater controls, do work. So I guess that pretty much narrows it down, huh?
Old 11-30-2008, 03:53 PM   #10
willis0107
67lwb

I had the same issue and found out the PO had made a jumper to connect all the lights. When i removed all of those wires is when i found out that my lighting circuit was bad. anyone know where i can get a new circuit card?
willis0107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:50 PM   #11
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

willis0107,
you can get printed circuits at most companies that deal with our trucks. as local would go, try Classic Parts or Manes in Kansas City.

lime,
have you tracked down the problem yet?

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 05:52 PM   #12
1LIME69

No, not yet have been doing the Christmas Tree thing today.