The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2008, 10:16 PM   #1
twoodson

Project Autometer Upgrade w/Pics

I finally took the plunge and performed the Autometer Gauge upgrade. I have to give special thanks to our long time member Mike "Swervin" Ervin as well as Eric aka ocbaud. I got the score from Craigslist for $275.
The gauges (Autometer Phantom) were installed on the front of the original bezel but I always wanted to do it recessed like Mike and Eric did. So here are some pics from the score and the upgrade that I just finished tonight. I will add some good info here in a bit. I decided to go ahead and git-r-dun even though it may be a little while before they get installed, I can't wait. Enjoy!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by twoodson; 11-30-2008 at 08:59 PM.
twoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:32 PM   #2
bigblock73
yeller

Re: Project Autometer Upgrade w/Pics

Looks great!!

Are they epoxied in or something?
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:35 PM   #3
Ds86C10
2WD 4 Life

looks awesome! can wait to replace my old broken gages
1978 king cobra
Ds86C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:55 PM   #4
silvereagle07

Looks awesome. How much did the project cost?

'84 GMC project truck
'85 Chevy 4X4 SOLD
'07 Chevy Trailblazer SS

5th Annual SHPHC Car/Truck Show Pics
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543605 UPDATED PICS! CHECK 'EM OUT
silvereagle07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:00 PM   #5
tvblazer78
Low & Fast!

Very cool and what a $$$ on that!!
tvblazer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:32 PM   #6
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Nice! Can you post a close up picture of the gauges to bezel. I'm working on my Autometer upgrade too. I'm still looking for the best way to mount the gauges to the bezel.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:36 PM   #7
twoodson

Thanks everybody. I am loving it. I used hot glue just like Eric (ocbaud) did with his and he was not lying about the strength. I can grab the back of either gauge (large or small) and pick the entire bezel up. I am thinking up either fabbing up some metal strips or use the wire just like Mike Ervin did just to add re-enforcement. I also used 1/4" masking tape to measure how much tunnel to cut off in the speedo and tack and I just doubled it to make it 1/2" on the smaller gauges and these meaurements were per Mike's instructions. I think i got a little off on the voltmeter; the 1 in the number 10 i think the very tip of it maybe be sort of covered. Feel free to ask any questions and I will respond ASAP. As for the $$$ I scored the set for $275 from a guy off of Craigslist. The gauges were like 2 months old and his truck got t-boned and so he parted it out. I bought a 2 temp (low & high) heat gun($9.97) from Wal-Mart along with some Glue Sticks ($4.97). I will be purchasing the Painless Performance Gauge Harness from Summit. I am still contemplating on were to mount my indicators for check engine, high beam, break, etc. My truck is a '87 350 TBI SWB. Again thanks guys.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:52 AM   #8
bradf74

I did this swap on my 68 camaro. I used a little LED from auto zone for the blinkers (the lights I deleted by performing this mod). They are sheap and sill suffice for any lights that you missed by adding the auto meters.

Can you still metal "u" shaped brackets that come with the guages for mounting to the dash?

I have a 79 truck and this looks lie a mod I would consider. Nice job.
bradf74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:05 AM   #9
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Nice work. Those turned out great...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:08 AM   #10
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Great score and thanks for sharing the pics!

We're about to begin the frame-off on my '78 and I've been going back and forth on whether to do this or not.

I really like how yours look. Wished I could come across a score like this!
BruthaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:13 AM   #11
twoodson

gchemist I will get some close up pics up for you tomorrow evening after I get out of church. Bradf74 Those "U" shaped brackets that came with the gauges were mounted on the rear of the gauges in the original bezel that I purchased from the seller on Craigslist. If I am not mistaken those brackets are used to hold the gauges in place if they are surfaced mounted on the front of the bezel to keep them from falling forward and out of the bezel. Since mine are recessed I don't think it would help me to secure them, that's why I have thought about using the wire like Swervin Ervin did or fab up some metal strips. Ocbaud just used the Hot glue, which is what I used and he was satisfied, I may leave it like it is. By the way that Camaro looks good just from that pic.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:16 AM   #12
twoodson

Thanks N2Trux and Bruthaman. N2Trux and many others here are the reason I keep saying one day I will get it like I want it. Thanks again Gents
Old 11-30-2008, 01:28 AM   #13
kainzien

Looks awesome..
Are you gunna put the prndl back. and I used small led lights for the blinkers and put my high beam indicator where my prndl was...
78 rcsb chevy LQ4/4L80E
kainzien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 02:13 AM   #14
1984 swb chevy

I like how the guages are behind the stock bezel not mounted in front. Nice job.
1984 swb chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:30 AM   #15
RunninLo
3DrDwn--the 'burb not the band

one caution on the hot glue in warm temps. It IS possible for the interior temp esp. on a black dash to soften the hot glue enough that it will let go. I had a pair of air guages mounted from the front of a custom fiberglass panel but the u brackets were missing so i used hot glue to hold them in. The glue is stuff I had left over from my days as a car audio installer that I have used sucessfully in many other projects.
The guages were std 2" dual needle air guages with two air inputs and a light socket.
One warm day 90+ degrees both guages popped out of the dash about an inch because of the air lines. I have since replaced the missing brackets but it did make me skeptical about using the glue unsupported.
The look is awesome and something I wouldn't mind doing in any of my bowties but will definately look for something to help the glue support the weight.

Josh

'89 GMC Dually crew build page coming soon.
88 4x4 crew DD

duallys past/present pics here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...46#post4001246

89 1 ton Dually rear flip kit install here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=354327
RunninLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:27 AM   #16
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Looks good, Trevino. Where have you been hiding?
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:00 PM   #17
vtwinsport

Very cool setup.
I am planning on a similar gauge change but will likely take the easy route and secure them from the face, like yours prior to the glue mod.
Got a question for you though- are you still using the plastic panel that the factory gauges used as your mount for the bezel? If so, when you cut holes in that piece for the backs of the gauges, did you have to strap or strengthen the plastic in some way to keep it from breaking? Or, did you toss the factory mount and fabricate/ use something else to mount your newly mod-ed bezel?
vtwinsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:13 PM   #18
crossy's son

How are you going to hook the speedo up? It looks electric

-Dad/Me Projects/Toys
75 SWB Silverado Factory 454, Th400
87 SWB Silverado 305tbi, 700r4, 2.73's...17.4 @74mph
a couple dodge cummins trucks.
PLEASE DO NOT MESSAGE ME ABOUT FACTORY TACH DASHES, I AM NOT MY FATHER AND I KNOW VERY LITTLE ABOUT THEM. Thanks
crossy's son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 05:11 PM   #19
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossy's son View Post
How are you going to hook the speedo up? It looks electric
Looks mechanical to me...

Last edited by bigblock73; 11-30-2008 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:41 PM   #20
twoodson

Thanks for the comments and advice guys:

Kainzien - I plan on reinstalling the shifter dial unless something changes

RunninLo - Thanks for that info I was about to head up to Home Depot or Ace Hardware and browse around to see if I can get any ideas. I will definitely keep everyone posted with pics when I come up with something other than the wire like Swervin Ervin used.

Jonboy - What's happening, I have been around just busy with work, coaching, and taking a class. I recently acquired a Serpetine setup that I will be installing, I will post pics of it as well. Right now I am in the process of getting the engine compartment painted and I was cleaning up some wiring, just trying to get it cleaned up.

Vtwinsport - As far as the bezel I used one that I bought from ebay over a year ago to install the gauges from the rear. The other bezel that came with gauges I did not use because the guy cut the holes to accomodate the surface mounting, I can post pics of it if you like. I will use everything Swervin used in his instructions from Jeff's 73-87.com website.

Crossy's son - Jeff (Bigblock73) is correct it is a Mechanical Speedo and I am getting rid of my cruise control. Apparently the '87 year came with either a mechanical (cable driven) or electric speedo. I looked at the connection on my tranny it it was a screw on (mechanical) not connector type (electric)connection. I will post some up close pics here in a bit at gmchemist's request.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:27 PM   #21
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

one thing you may want to do, is use more hot glue.

with other things i've used it on in the past, it will heat up and come off in the summer heat. i haven't had that problem with my gauges, but i used about 5x as much as you did. i think i used a whole bag of hot glue sticks just for reinforcing the gauges.

looks good though
ocbaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:34 PM   #22
twoodson

Thanks Eric, you are the man I have been waiting to hear from. I appreciate that advice because I wasn't for sure how much glue you used and I appreciate RunninLo for informing me as well. I guess I will get the Glue Gun back out and add some more glue, I still wanted to run up to the hardware stores to see what else I could possibly re-enforce them with. Wire may be the only choice.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:37 PM   #23
bigblock73
yeller

I know it is too late, but 2-part epoxy might be a better alternative to adhering the gauges to the bezel. The stuff works great!
Old 11-30-2008, 07:41 PM   #24
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoodson View Post
Thanks Eric, you are the man I have been waiting to hear from. I appreciate that advice because I wasn't for sure how much glue you used and I appreciate RunninLo for informing me as well. I guess I will get the Glue Gun back out and add some more glue, I still wanted to run up to the hardware stores to see what else I could possibly re-enforce them with. Wire may be the only choice.

one thing i was thinking about doing at the time, was use some metal brackets and attach one end to the threaded back on the gauges and have that held down by the alum. nut. bend it correctly and use something like some very hard epoxy to attach it to the back of the bezel.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:42 PM   #25
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock73 View Post
I know it is too late, but 2-part epoxy might be a better alternative to adhering the gauges to the bezel. The stuff works great!
not to late.
one of the reasons i used the hot glue is because it would not permanently damage the bezel or the gauges if i decided i wanted to try something else.
its secure enough to hold them in place until you want them off.

i was thinking about epoxy, but didn't want to risk having it not be lined up correctly or something like that.