The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2002, 12:38 AM   #1
goat455

heater box replacement

Hey guys..

New to this forum as I used to have a 72 Cheyenne, but now have an 86 El Camino. A few of you guys have these cars and now some advice. My heater box is leaking (when I turn the heater onl). I really haven't inspected where the leak is coming from, but if worse comes to worse, how difficult would it be to replace the heater box on my ride? Any advice is appreciated.
goat455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 02:32 PM   #2
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

The heater core is what's leaking. It is inside the box. Never changed one on a El Camino, but it should be basically the same as a truck. It involves removing the nuts which hold the box to the firewall to gain access to the core. If it's like our trucks, there is nuts on the engine bay side, and one under the dash toward the passenger door.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 01:08 AM   #3
SCOTI

Late model A/G bodies are notorious for leaks around the a/c heater box. If it's the core leaking you must remove the box to get to the heater core. If it's the box that's leaking, remove it & scrape all the old sealant off then put new putty type sealant back on. I would recommend replacing the heater core if you remove the box whether it's needed or not because it's a pain in the arse & would suck to do the job & then a week later have the heater core start leaking & need to do it all over again.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 07:18 PM   #4
goat455

I'm happy to report that all it was some bad mechanic that didn't tighten the hose clamp after the nipple of the heater inlet. Simply moved it 1/4 inch and tighten and no more leaks. Yes! Thanks guys for your help.
Will
goat455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 08:23 PM   #5
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Don't you just love it when it's something simple?
Old 12-02-2002, 04:14 PM   #6
PHOENIX

speaking of clamps. I found a fuel leak on my truck this weekend. It was the rubber lines from the frame to the pump. They were old and one had a very tiny hole in it. I replaced them both, but I had one hell of a time getting those damn squeeze clamps off of there. Anyone else hate them? I like the screw type hose clamps.

Anyway I replaced both lines and all the clamps.

Hey Mike arent you worried about getting a hose leak under the steel braiding? It must make it harder to pin point the location. Just curious if youve ran into that problem yet.
Old 12-02-2002, 05:06 PM   #7
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Eddie,

my heater hoses are the blue silicone like they use on big rigs. It should stand up for a long time. I hope so anyway. No problems so far.

1985 Chevy C-10