The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-03-2008, 01:09 PM   #1
Deathvalleydog

Brakes! Brakes! Brakes!

Just got my '69 C20! Driving it is great. And then I tried to stop..... Woah. Now I know what eveyone's been talking about --- drum brakes bad!

Obviously replacing the drums with disks is my first priority. But I'm on a super tight budget. What is the best cheapest way to go? Aftermarket? Manufacture's upgrade kit? Or canibalizing a latter model -- and if so, what is a good source for locating said parts?

Thanks!
Deathvalleydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:53 PM   #2
airdale94

Re: Brakes! Brakes! Brakes!

Just did this on my 68C20. Bought a front stub off a 81. They just cut the frame rails aft of the crossmember. And gave me everything. $150.
airdale94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:14 PM   #3
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

GM started using front discs on the 71 models, so any of the OEM parts off of an 71-87 (?) 3/4 ton should be good.

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:43 PM   #4
Irishpilot

The cheapest way to improve stopping is to flush the brake fluid and check the drums for excessive wear. If that is not good enough, then parts of a '71-72 and you will have discs. I highely recommend you get a master booster for the disks and it is really a night-and-day difference.
406ci sb; zero decked, bored .030, edelbrock aluminum e-tec heads, edelbrock performer RPM intake, comp 268 cam, comp 1.6 pro-magnum roller rockers, MSD street fire HEI, MSD 8.5mm wires, Holley Street demon 770, Hedman LT headers. 10.6:1 compression, Air Ride Tech bags on all 4-corners.
Irishpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:40 PM   #5
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

I think drum brakes are fun

Killer
Spray-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:45 PM   #6
cdowns

cheapest route would be a comprehensive brake job to really see what you've got and maybe some driving instructions from somebody that knows how to drive vintage vehicles
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:48 PM   #7
67mater

I have 4 wheel drum on a 67 4x4. In it's former lif I drove it as manual brakes (made no adjustments at all) and yeah, it wasn't great. Now, I simply made a 1" slug so the pin from a 72 booster would push my 67 manual MC, all new lines, and fuild, front wheels cylinders and it's night and day. I attribute it almost exclusively to the booster, as I still have the half worn pads in there!! Truck stops awesome now!!

1967 K10
1967 Camaro

Last edited by 67mater; 12-03-2008 at 03:49 PM.
67mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:53 PM   #8
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spray-Bomb View Post
I think drum brakes are fun
Because when they brake you can make music!

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:09 PM   #9
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Adjust and clean the drum brakes, and learn to stay off people's bumpers, and you'll be fine. No, they aren't ideal nor even close to perfect, but there are advantages to them.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 06:06 PM   #10
Sinister
Between Trucks...

Try bleeding your system. I got drums on my '69 C-20 and stops just fine.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:24 PM   #11
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

they aren't as good as disks... esp in stop and go traffic... however, the c/20 drums are friggen huge, and in proper form, are quite capible of stopping the truck. Remember, the speed limit was 60 - 80 MPH when these were built... they were designed to stop the truck, fully loaded, within federal standards, with drums.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:30 AM   #12
Deathvalleydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
they aren't as good as disks... esp in stop and go traffic... however, the c/20 drums are friggen huge, and in proper form, are quite capible of stopping the truck. Remember, the speed limit was 60 - 80 MPH when these were built... they were designed to stop the truck, fully loaded, within federal standards, with drums.
Well, my real problem is that I live near the top of the steepest road in the county and just to get to town is a 1400 ft drop over 2.5 miles. Going down is an adventure even in low gear with modern brakes, and people cook 'em all the time. You mentioned some advantages to the drums. I don't have much experience with them, but are they less likely to "fade" than disks? That would be a big one for me :-)
Old 12-04-2008, 09:11 AM   #13
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

Nope drums are way more prone to fading than disks as they don't cool as well. I know a lot of the hot rod guys running drums do some clever stuff with the back-plates and little air scoops and drilling holes to get more air through and finned drums also help dissipte heat bit the fact is they're a damn great chunk of iron thats going to stay hot much longer than a vented disk.

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:07 AM   #14
OLDIRON69

I agree, wheel cylinders and new shoes and check your drums for heavy wear. If you completely replaced all your drum brake parts with new and drove it, you would be happy with the stopping power.
69 Dodge Charger-440/4spd
OLDIRON69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:09 PM   #15
Deathvalleydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lippyp View Post
Nope drums are way more prone to fading than disks as they don't cool as well. I know a lot of the hot rod guys running drums do some clever stuff with the back-plates and little air scoops and drilling holes to get more air through and finned drums also help dissipte heat bit the fact is they're a damn great chunk of iron thats going to stay hot much longer than a vented disk.
Just what I was afraid of. That being the case I think discs, vented discs, are definitely the way I need to go. If I lost my brakes on the hill the only thing to stop me would be the wall of the feed store in town. It would be just like haulin' chickins down t'other side of Wolf Creek Pass. (I'll be amazed if anyone catches this reference...)

Last edited by Deathvalleydog; 12-04-2008 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:59 PM   #16
Jet Blue 68

Thumbs up Re: Brakes! Brakes! Brakes!

I was using the "pump pump pray" system on my '68, it usually stopped well. A few lock ups and scares but no "accidents" Manual drum-drums... but now the master cylinder is going out. I am in a simiar situation, except I already bought spindles, rotors, calipers and a rearend from a 5 lug 71 model. Oh and power steering system (pump, bracket, steering box) Nice fellow threw in the booster, m/c and pro. valve too. Paid $250. I know I'll have to replace some parts that I bought, so now wondering if I shoulda bought a kit. Because now I want to go ahead and lower it at the same time. I may save about $100-200 if I use what I have though and rehab what I have... Good luck with your decision. Makin decisions has been the hardest part for me.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:48 PM   #17
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathvalleydog View Post
It would be just like haulin' chickins down t'other side of Wolf Creek Pass. (I'll be amazed if anyone catches this reference...)
Wolf Creek Pass, way up on the Great Divide, truckin' on down the other side.... great song!!!

Back on topic, the front discs on my '72 are vented... I think discs from the front of any GM C/K20 will be vented, so they shouldn't be too hard to find.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:02 PM   #18
d10s69c10
Built 4 Speed

well you can do the 72+ conversion for rotors up front but it makes it 5 lug... disks in the back alot more work and no where near as cheap then you will have to get a new master cylinder because your stock one wont push enuff fluid. i personally like the corvette 4 wheel disk i think 1972 master cyl 1 1/8" its a beast.

"To Be Old And Wise, First You Must Be Young And Stupid"
d10s69c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:15 PM   #19
Deathvalleydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
Wolf Creek Pass, way up on the Great Divide, truckin' on down the other side.... great song!!!

Back on topic, the front discs on my '72 are vented... I think discs from the front of any GM C/K20 will be vented, so they shouldn't be too hard to find.
Nice! Glad someone remembers that song.
Do they make a conversion kit for eight lug? I've got nice eight lug rims I'd like to keep but every conversion kit I've found is five.
(BTW are you on the CA side or the OR side of Jefferson? Or perhaps folks from the State of Jefferson don't differentiate?)

Last edited by Deathvalleydog; 12-04-2008 at 09:19 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:27 PM   #20
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathvalleydog View Post
(BTW are you on the CA side or the OR side of Jefferson? Or perhaps folks from the State of Jefferson don't differentiate?)
You're right, it doesn't much matter

Born & raised in Oregon, now living in NorCal. In fact, it's more like Oregon here than most parts of Oregon are!

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:21 AM   #21
LEEVON

4 wheel discs are nice, but there is nothing wrong at all with a disc/drum set-up. GM used rear discs on full size trucks a couple of years ago and now they are back to drums if that tells you anything.

Rebuilding drums is cheap, if you're on a tight budget then rebuild them with new wheel cylinders, shoes, springs, adjusters, and turn the drums. Put new pads in the front and turn the rotors if necessary. Flush the whole system if you're comfortable doing so (follow master cylinder bench bleeding to a T). If you're still not happy then check the booster. My '71 stops as good as my '08.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:36 AM   #22
Rooster's 67

I have just completed a disc conversion on a 65 C20 (which is for all intensive purposes the same as our 67-72). We used front end components off of a 77 R20 (suburban for those not in the know) It had the 8 on 6 pattern. Tony with Texas Squarebodies sold us the front frame section (cab forward) for $150.

When doing this on a 67-72 you can swap the whole cross member and control arms, but the C/R 20 and 30's use the same solid bushings on the control arms so unless your bushings are bad, use your original arms.

You have to change the upper and lower ball joints to 73-87 C20 units to mount the spindles.

steering linkage is a little more fun. The tapers in the spindles are a different size on the later model stuff so either swap in a powersteering gearbox and all the steering components from a donor or you can use the factory steering from the 67-72's but you have to obtain the conversion sleeves from one of the vendors here on the board so you can adapt the 73-87 outer tierods onto the older linkage.

Keep in mind when converting to discs you also have to install a dual resivior master cylinder and a disc/drum proportioning valve. (front and rear are two seperate hydraulic circuits)

you will use brake hoses from your donor truck and they mount infront of the upper control arm not behind like our 67-72's. you may have to bend some brake lines.

Spence
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Rooster's 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:50 AM   #23
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

Its not neccesarily about stopping power though. Whilst drums all round can be made to stop well they don't perform well under hard continuous use as they will fade as things heat up and gases build up under the shoes. I have manual drum/drum brakes and with a good healthy shove they stop pretty well although I am about to fit a booster. In this guys situatiojn with a long winding downhill run I'd go for disks anytime

Have a read up on fade here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_fade

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:57 AM   #24
Rooster's 67

Lippy is very much correct.

The problem with drum brakes is their heat dissipating capabilty there is just not enough air flow through, over and around drum brakes to cool them enough under severe use. As stated earlier a lot of the hot rod/streetrod world has used finned rotors, holes drillled into the backing plates with air scoops, and I have even seen drums drilled on the hub surface to allow airflow.
I have seen some in my opinion very dangerous things done also, ( I am a dealer trained Technician, And master ASE certified for 20+ years) I have seen drums actually drilled though the braking surface for ventilation( good concept but I would worry about the metalurgical structure after many heating and cooling cycles)
This link has some good info except for the idea of drilling the drums as I stated abovehttp://wps.com/AMC/1963-Rambler-American/Drums/

Here is a picture of a ventilated racing drum brake assemblies and othershttp://www.automedia.com/How_to_keep...es20051101db/1

Personally I would convert to discs, they are much more efficient.

Spence
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Rooster's 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 03:26 PM   #25
Deathvalleydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster's 67 View Post
We used front end components off of a 77 R20 (suburban for those not in the know)
That sounds like a good way to go. Besides a 77, what year models of Suburbans will work? I assume I'll have to call around local wrecking yards to find one. Or is there a better source? I live in CA on the central coast.

Last edited by Deathvalleydog; 12-07-2008 at 03:27 PM.