The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2008, 12:18 PM   #1
socalkevin68

Question Help with steering column please

First of all..i'm new here..but love my 68 c/10...i've read all the posts concerning my issue but cant , for the life of me figure this one out...
ok I'm trying to collapse my steering column a bit to add some room between wheel and seat...
Well I did everything (removed rag joint..loosened column strap..collar , drilled out plastic tips on steering shaft...now..there isnt enough room to hammer column up from steering box to collapse.....
Ok so I figure I must need to remove entire column to take entire unit to bench to hammer on?
How do i remove entire column? does it come through cab or underneath? do I need to remove steering wheel? I really thought if I loosened the clamp that the shaft would separate from column under the hood and I could remove that section only then collapse it on the bench.....very frustrating as I worked on it all day...ahhaha
any input would be helpful and much appreciated...
thx. kevin
socalkevin68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:04 PM   #2
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

Re: Help with steering column please

To remove the column you need to:

Unhook the wires, take the bolts/screws out of the 2 retainer plates on the firewall (1 on the inside & 1 outside), you already have your rag joint disconnected, so you dont have to do that
There is a bracket under the dash that holds the column up & it needs to come out also
Undo your shift linkage
And if I remembered everything, then you just fish the thing out through the cab

I have done it with the steering wheel on & it makes it a lil harder, but it also gives you something to hold onto

Killer
Spray-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:21 PM   #3
john
member #16

Re: Help with steering column please

to the board. Heres a how to link. If your 68 has a one piece shaft it will be different than the two piece shown in the FAQ thread, but the column removal will be the same.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=191143

Last edited by john; 12-08-2008 at 02:27 PM.
john is offline   Reply With Quote