The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-09-2008, 11:40 PM   #1
liljimsrodragz

Some "Z-ing" Questions unique to my application?

whats the minimum Z for a 70 chev Shortwide to get it to lay frame? I am assuming I will have to modify the trans tunnel and....? If so how much? I know its been asked a million times but its nice to be able to have my own thread where I ca ask questions about a response if I dont understand it.

On the sae topic, whats the easiest andmost efficient way? Do I need to brace each frame section so it wont become 'Un-Square" ?

If I section the crossmember will it make more or less problems? Mainly worried about clearance? Advantages to the z and sectioning VS just zing?
liljimsrodragz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:51 PM   #2
72hotrodder
THE TOY STORE

Re: Some "Z-ing" Questions unique to my application?

i did just the Z. was pretty easy just measure alot so you can keep everything square and level and i welded some rods across the frame on the top and bottom of the frame in front and behind the section i planed to cut. and yea you will need to raise the tranny tunnel also. i raised mine 3in just so i know it would work.
72hotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:51 AM   #3
liljimsrodragz

Oh ok....One of my biggest questions is where exactly did you slice the frame? Do you have pictures of that area and possibly of your trans tunnel befrore and after modification?

Thanks, James
Old 12-10-2008, 04:45 AM   #4
RunninLo
3DrDwn--the 'burb not the band

From one of my other posts on the topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsmith_2010 View Post
hey guys, i found a new project that hopefully will be buying sometime this week, its a 69 swb. so ive got some questions

how low did u go on the zing of the frame?
No Z for me. I went with a Dropped x-member

how many inches for the bodydrop?
Still trying to decide if this is necessary. I'll know more once my body is back on. Having done several SFBD's I may go that route. I've heard two schools. one says you can get to the pinch by simply moving the mounts down or shaving the rubber.
did u have to modify the crossmember?
Like I mentioned before I went with an aftermarket x-member replacement. Best choice for me. I've done Z's before but like this route so much better. It addresses many of the concerns that pop up with this type of change. And can be done in an afternoon

how did u modify the tranny mount?
replacement mount was provided with my x-member kit making it an even better solution. If you can handle a Z though modifying or making a replacement trans x-member should be a piece of cake

any help will be great before i start tearing into it
My Z advice: Measure,measure, measure, get your self several sets of jackstands and some shims to get everything level. I usually put four stands under the frame and then I have a piece of 1" thick plywood that I but a screw jack under each corner and then put 4 jack stands on top to hold up the frame clip in front of the cut line for the z. I weld a piece if scrap angle ( old steel bed frames I got for free) across the top and bottom of the frame about 2" on either side of the cut line. and then one diagonal left rail to right on both side of the cut. The bracing keeps the frame sections from spreading,twisting, etc... I prefer a perfectly vertical cut ( some will angle to slide the suspension forward as it goes up). I lay out my cut line and then make two horizontal marks on the frame spaced apart the amount of the Z. I'm picky enough I'll take a punch and trace the lines with dots. marker/paint can get wiped off a good layout mark won't. It's a PITA to realize after the frame is cut that the measurements wiped off.( Did I mention MEASURE) Once you're ready to cut just try to be a clean as possible. Once the cut is complete, I crank up the 4 screw jacks until I've got my desired Z. A few rounds with the level checking front to back and side to side It's time to weld it back in place. The front horns are done similarly although due to their smaller size I forgo the screw jack set-up.

hope this helps liljim, and I'm pretty sure it's 2.5" min to set the main rails flat

Josh

'89 GMC Dually crew build page coming soon.
88 4x4 crew DD

duallys past/present pics here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...46#post4001246

89 1 ton Dually rear flip kit install here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=354327
RunninLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:43 AM   #5
liljimsrodragz

Hey thanks for the tips. Where on the frame rails do I make the cut though?
Old 12-10-2008, 01:11 PM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljimsrodragz View Post
Hey thanks for the tips. Where on the frame rails do I make the cut though?
There is no "one answer fits all" that's correct. The cut will be after the firewall of the cab but before the front suspension..... cut where it works best for you w/o interfering w/the cab. If you're not sure where that is, you're not ready to do a frame 'Z'.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:34 PM   #7
72hotrodder
THE TOY STORE

i used a strait edge and cut exactly were my firewall was. but like said theres no (one) spot. just somewere befor and after the crossmember. typicly the area were the frame starts to arc down towards the ground after the shock mount
72hotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:19 PM   #8
liljimsrodragz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
If you're not sure where that is, you're not ready to do a frame 'Z'.
I realize that I am not ready, why do you think I am asking questions?
Old 12-11-2008, 04:32 PM   #9
Imperial Kustom
100% gearhead

2-1/4 inches will bring the A-arms above the bottom of the frame rails. However, 2-3/4 to three inches is a good amount of Z. Keeps the lower A-arms from hitting the ground at full dump. As for tha spindles, arms and crossmember, this is the way I do it. There are many more ways, this is just my method. I cut away up to 2-1/2 inches (vertical) from the outside of the crossmember where the spring pocket is and use 3/16" plate to build an upper 'bag mount and use a plate for the lower A-arm. Add 2" drop spindles and the frame sets nicely (and hard!) on the floor. These measurements are for a front end using 27" or taller tires, so adjust the outer crosmember sectioning accordingly for the tire you plan on running.
Imperial Kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 04:38 PM   #10
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial Kustom View Post
2-1/4 inches will bring the A-arms above the bottom of the frame rails. However, 2-3/4 to three inches is a good amount of Z. Keeps the lower A-arms from hitting the ground at full dump. As for tha spindles, arms and crossmember, this is the way I do it. There are many more ways, this is just my method. I cut away up to 2-1/2 inches (vertical) from the outside of the crossmember where the spring pocket is and use 3/16" plate to build an upper 'bag mount and use a plate for the lower A-arm. Add 2" drop spindles and the frame sets nicely (and hard!) on the floor. These measurements are for a front end using 27" or taller tires, so adjust the outer crosmember sectioning accordingly for the tire you plan on running.
wouldn't happen to have pics, or a build thread would you?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:22 PM   #11
badblu97
Double 6's

OK, so I know mine is a different frame, (82) but we did a 3" Z. The cut was made where the frame starts to turn down to go under the firewall,(like someone said earlier) and figure out if you are going to BD the truck or not before you tunnel...just my $.02

oh, and my buddy that did the Z has a sheet of fairly thick steel on the shop floor to weld all of his body mount posts( to keep them in the correct places) mostly for building back-halfs and 3/4 frames, but he said it helped a bunch Z-ing mine!

Dad always said "measure twice, cut once" GOOD LUCK and be patient!

Last edited by badblu97; 12-11-2008 at 05:38 PM.
badblu97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:15 PM   #12
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljimsrodragz View Post
I realize that I am not ready, why do you think I am asking questions?
No disrespect intended.

There are guys out there that ask similar questions that are not ready but don't realize the fact. Then.... they start cutting up their truck only to have a big mess instead of a cool (& safe) ride.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote