The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-10-2008, 12:37 PM   #1
Jerblazer72

Another question for the GMC original paint scheme gurus!

I have a 72 gmc lwb 4wd truck that I am in the process of restoration. I origianlly posted a question as to whether or not GMC had painted the instrument bezel to match the interior door color and visor color scheme and found out that they did in fact do that. This was the case with my truck, the bezel had been painted a blue color to match the column, glovebox door, etc.

Well, I have now removed the original grill and the PO had painted over it like he had painted over all the interior stuff. I thought all of the 72 gmc grills were painted black in the areas that were painted. As I look at the grill now that it is off, it appears that it was not painted black, but was painted the same blue color that the interior accents were painted (steering column, glovebox door etc.) Is this possible, or were they all painted black?

My guess is that Longhorn man probably has the answer to his one too, he answered the first question and had pictures to show it! Thanks in advance everyone.

Jeremy
Jerblazer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:59 PM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Another question for the GMC original paint scheme gurus!

Not that it matters,but,it was me who gave the correct answer that "all" GMCs had clusters and glovebox doors painted to match" whatever" vinyl color it had (unless it`s a SierraGrande).As far as the 71/72 GMC grilles go,black was the only accent color used.I`ve seen owners color-match them.But,not factory.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 12-10-2008 at 01:03 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:31 PM   #3
Jerblazer72

Special-K,
Thank you for the answer to the question. You undoubtedly did give the answer that "all" GMCs had clusters and glovebox doors painted to match" whatever" vinyl color it had (unless it`s a SierraGrande), and I failed to give you credit for that. I was going off of the order of the posts in the thread and longhorn man did confirm that GMC did paint clusters to match gloveboxdoors, vinyl etc. and had posted some pictures. A big thanks goes out to both of you on that one, your are awesome resources.

As far as the grill goes, it is very peculiar because I can find no black paint residue under the paint the the PO had used over top of the blue. Under the original blue is chrome. Maybe they stripped the black before painting the blue on there?? Anyhow, it looks as if I will need to repaint it black if I want it to look original.
Thanks.
Jerblazer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 06:28 PM   #4
special-K
Special Order

They probably did strip it.It would be easy with chrome.But also,alot of grilles end up with that black baked or blasted off,too.It sounds like your truck had a proud previous owner.Is there anything else special?BTW,how about a picture or two?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 06:42 PM   #5
OhioDan

I had to...
Attached Images

LIFE AIN'T EASY WHEN YER FAT AND GREASY!
GMC= Got More Class!
1970 GMC LWB, Fleetside, 350/4spd, Flowmaster "40's", 2002 GMC 16" Rallies, cowl hood,and added a bunch of options that weren't there when I started.
OhioDan is offline   Reply With Quote