The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-10-2008, 07:38 PM   #1
RamAirZ

Need taillight wiring help!!!

Hey guys, I went to wire up my taillights today and ran into some questions. My truck is a 67' but the bed is off a later version with side markers (don't know the exact year the guy didn't remember). My factory rear harness plug on my 67' has 2 light green (reverse), 1 dark green (rh signal?), 1 yello (left signal?) and one brown (normally this would split into 3, 1 to each light for taillight and 1 for license plate correct?). My new wiring is different. I would have just plugged it in but the guy had it all cut up underneath. The plug for the new bed has 6 wires. 2 light greens, 1 with black stripe (I know these run to my reverse), 1 yellow with blac stripe, 1 brown, 2 dark greens, one with black stripe. Now the passenger light has the 2 dark greens running into it and the drivers side has the yellow and 2 browns. I'm assumining one of the browns runs over to the license plate. Can I wire up the lights to the plug that came with the bed and plug it to my harness and it work? According to the wiring diagram I saw posted on here my passenger light should have one brown and a green, then the light green for the reverse. The driver should have one brown one yellow and the reverse light green, then one brown going to the license plate. Hope I didn't confuse anyone, I just want to get this right.

Reverse lights

New plug

Old plug

New and old side by side

Passenger light

Drivers side

Any help would be great, thanks!!!
RamAirZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:23 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Need taillight wiring help!!!

Ok I didn't find what I was looking for in a search and I am at work and don't have access to the shop manual.

I believe that you can just plug the bed harness into the trucks harness and away you go. If I am not mistaken the marker lights just tie into the tail light circuit on each side.

Every GM vehicle that I have ever seen is color coded the same for wiring.
The colors should be the same as the later trucks http://www.chuckschevytruckpages.com...schematic.html
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:31 PM   #3
RamAirZ

Ya but the wiring diagram on this site shows one green and brown to one side, not 2 greens. I'm thinking it's basically the same but different (if you get what I mean). I'm pretty sure i can just wire everything to the new plug-in and match everything up and it will work. If I wanted to use my old plug-in I would need to figure out what wire is which.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:04 PM   #4
mr48chev

The second green would be the backup lights.. That should be the lighter green of the two green wires.

You can use a test light to check at the connector plug on the cross member to make sure of what circuit each wire belongs to.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:36 AM   #5
RamAirZ

Ya I ran out of time today. I'm just going to wire them up with spades to the new plug-in and see if it works