The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-11-2008, 02:53 PM   #1
shaneschevys
Its always something!

Power steering help.

I have a friend of mine at work who wants to put power steering on his 56 chevy 1/2 ton. He is sticking with the straight axle & doesnt want to spend alot of money. I have read of people using a gear box off of a 84-90 4x4toyota truck with the differential front susp. Has anyone ever used this setup? Any pics? Is it a direct bolt on or is there a bracket to buy? Any help would be appreciated.
67 GMC One Ton Flatbed
64 Short Fleetside
57 Chevy 2DR Hard Top
57 Chevy 2dr wagon
65 f*** short fleet
63 C 60 Flatbed

Member of the patina club
shaneschevys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:19 AM   #2
drummin89

Re: Power steering help.

Im going to be installing a toyota box in my 52. Now there are two different toyota boxes. 85 and earlier 4x4's with the solid front axle have a box that is similar to the stock box as the output is horizontal so it can be easily mounted in the stock location. The other box is in the 85 and earlier and 85 and new trucks and has the output pointing down toward the ground. People who use this box mount it at the front and use a crossover steering setup. I don't believe there are any brackets on the market. In fact Im designing and making my own to mount the first box I mentioned. Having it laser cut at a machine shop and then I will weld it together.
-Clifford 2/4bbl Aluminum Intake and Headers
-1/2 ton front axle swap w/ 5lug disc brake kit
-CPP Power Steering Kit

Various pictures of my 52 Chevy 3600

Last edited by drummin89; 12-12-2008 at 08:52 AM.
drummin89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:06 AM   #3
drummin89

also, what engine does he have in it? If its a inline 6, he will also have to find a way to mount a power steering pump to the engine as they only make mounts for the V8. I have a inline 6 (54 235) in my 52, so I am also working on designing some brackets to mount a toyota pump to the engine.

Im moving the alternator over to the passenger side, up next to the head and water pump (also making a bracket for this). The power steering pump will go where the alternator/generator was, using the stock mounting holes on the block. The pump is from another toyota pickup. I had hoped to be able to use a gm, dodge or ford pump as the reservoir is on the pump and design is much simpler but because of a chance of pressure differences between either, I played it safe and went with a toyota pump, and even though the reservoir is seperate, I found a reservoir off of a nissan pickup that should mount nicely on the driverside inner fender, doesn't look too bad either.

Once I make sure my designs work and what not, I will make the drawings available to those who want them. You just send them to a machine shop that has either a water or laser cutter (for best results) and have them cut the pieces out. Or cut them out yourself. Then just weld them together. The designs arn't that complicated so it wouldn't be too hard. Im finding its about $45 to have each drawing or set of pieces cut out by a machine shop by laser.
-Clifford 2/4bbl Aluminum Intake and Headers
-1/2 ton front axle swap w/ 5lug disc brake kit
-CPP Power Steering Kit

Various pictures of my 52 Chevy 3600

Last edited by drummin89; 12-12-2008 at 11:33 AM.
drummin89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:14 AM   #4
Gene Sharp

this is good stuff
Please keep us posted on your progress

Gene Sharp
Gene Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote