The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2008, 04:13 AM   #1
KrazyKevin
What have I gotten into

Inner and Outer Rockerpanel alignment

I've got my outer cab floor panel installed and all is shaping up well. The 2 major features of the floor are aligned pretty good:

The outer rockers were pretty much gone when I got my truck, so I have no idea how the inner and outer rocker align on the top side. Does the lip on the top side of the outer rocker supposed to be flush with the cab floor? Or is it supposed to be a little higher? If I take the outer rocker and placed the bottom lip all the way to the bottom of the inne rocker, the top of the outer rocker is higher than the cab floor. But, if I let the outer rocker slip down a little bit, the outer rocker bottom lip isn't butting up against the inner rocker, its down 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch but the outer rocker is flush on the top side.

I know I confused the whole forum, but I don't know how else to describe what I'm seeing. Here is a few more pics of the outer rocker held in place:

The green arrows show where the outer rocker needs to go in about 1/2in. The white shows the gap from the b pillar that is about 3/4in.

The white arrow shows the top of the outer rocker and the yellow arrow shows the top of the cab floor.

One last question if ya don't mind, the gap that is created by the outer rocker and inner rocker on the top side, how wide is the channel supposed to be?

Thank you all very much.

Kevin
KrazyKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 01:14 PM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: Inner and Outer Rockerpanel alignment

Kinda hard to tell you on the forum also.. If you had access to someone else that has a 67-72 truck you'd get a better idea.

Sending some pics to help out. But, to answer some of your questions, the rocker's top along the "lip" on my 68 seem to be about 1/4 of an inch below the level of the floor.

Also, the channel from the edge of the lip or bent part to the insde is 1/2 inch on mine. Some of these may vary slightly I"m sure because of aftermarket parts. You may have to tack weld them in place before doing any permanent work. Or, you can do like I did on another truck and use a few pop rivets first. Your door alignment may change and that's why tacking, clamping or pop rivets may help.
Attached Images

68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 02:20 PM   #3
68 short step

put the door on and get your gaps off your door.....then weld it up....your seal plate coves the gab between the floor and the outer rocker.......
68 short step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 02:35 PM   #4
tim21391

let me know how long this takes you.. i have my truck tore apart and i need my rockers done to... so let me know how long it took you when your all said and done
2013 Mustang V6/6speed w/300 ponies
I may be 23, but i sure do knows 67-72s are sexy!
Its not MPG its smiles per gallon!
build started 11/25/08
build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=2993796
tim21391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 02:50 PM   #5
Puropedo
Account Suspended

Krazykevin,, where did you get the inner panels from?
Puropedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 03:00 PM   #6
KrazyKevin
What have I gotten into

Thanks 68GMSEE. That give me a pretty good idea. It would be great if atleast one more person could confirm the height issue just in case there are variances between year models or makes.

To get my top lip 1/4 below my floor, the bottom of my outer rocker is gonna hand down pretty low past my inner rocker. But the inner rocker came attached my my outer floor replacement and it all is aligned great. Thats the reason I'm a little confused.

Tim, I will let you know, but its gonna be hard since there is so many other things to consider. I had to patch a cab support, install both pillars, outer cab floor, kick panel, and outer rocker panel. Working say 4 hours a day, I'm up to about 6 or 7 days. Just taking my time and fitting everything together over and over.

Also, the outer rocker, does the flat wide part on top sit perfectly level or does it run downhill towards the outside of the truck.

Last edited by KrazyKevin; 12-13-2008 at 03:06 PM. Reason: added a question
KrazyKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 03:01 PM   #7
KrazyKevin
What have I gotten into

The inner rockers were attached to the outer cab floor replacement piece. I got it from GMC Pauls. I bought my outer rocker first from Summit before I realized what else I needed.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:02 PM   #8
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKevin View Post
...........Also, the outer rocker, does the flat wide part on top sit perfectly level or does it run downhill towards the outside of the truck.
Mine has a slight downward angle -just a few degrees. I think it's so that water will drain easier.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 11:48 PM   #9
68 short step

lots of good info/pics here
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=269754
68 short step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 03:14 PM   #10
KrazyKevin
What have I gotten into

Thanks for the link 68. Nice build thread also.