The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-14-2008, 11:55 AM   #1
90suburban

3/4 ton drum brake ????

Hi all first time posting looking for help! What I have is a 90 GMC suburban R2500 and I am trying to replace the rear brake shoes. It has the 14 bolt 10.5 FF with the 13in drums. The issue is that it had no adjustment hole on the backing plate so I can not loosen up the shoes to pull the drums off!! I can not get the drum past the ridge on the back of the drum from ware and I can not loosen them up because there is no adjustment access hole! Any help and suggestions would be great.
90suburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 03:17 PM   #2
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Re: 3/4 ton drum brake ????

90, there is a hole but it might have to be punched out. The biggest problem your going to have is not the brake shoes but the center hub, thats where the drum will get stuck. Spray it up good with WD40 before you try to remove the drum. When you go to re install the drum coat the hub with antiseize compound. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 05:37 PM   #3
90suburban

Thanks Jim but there is no access hole to knock out that I can see! There is two sets of what looks like some kind of retainer clips for something. I will take another look and see if I can get some photos. Thanks for the help
90suburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:04 PM   #4
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

90, those clips are the hole covers your looking for. Pop those things out and you have access to the adjuster assembly. Good luck with it, jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote