The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-15-2008, 11:34 PM   #1
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

Having Trouble Getting Good 69-70 GM NOS Outer Grills???

I sure am! I have refused two of them in the last week. They are dull, rough and way over priced...over $800!
Both of the ones I got had the same gouged areas and they were at the top center & front face on the ends, right where it shows the most. The overall finish looked flat & dull, like a fine sandblast texture.
The parts guys don't care...didn't even want to see the problems. One said, "GM doesn't make parts for show trucks". We don't expect "show truck" parts, but should get same as original quality.
Just be sure you see the grill shell & open it at the dealership, BEFORE you pay for it or take it home.
PICKMUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:53 PM   #2
Richard8971
Still livin the "dream" in '54

Re: Having Trouble Getting Good 69-70 GM NOS Outer Grills???

Thanks for the heads up.

D

My '67 stepper "Tangerine Dream"

"Anything worth doing is worth doing right" James Dean

“When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo
Richard8971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:15 AM   #3
Boog
laying low

Oh man! At over 800 each they can keep their sub-par parts. My gennie 69 grille is looking pretty good these days. Sure it has some miles on it and a small dent or two but I will try to polish it up before I spend that kind of money on a new one. Besides some blemishes give it character.
I remember an episode on TV a few yrs back where they straightened out and polished up lower trim pieces for a C10. Came out great. May have been on my classic car.
You're right Pickmup. There seems to be a real lack of concern for quality parts these days. Is it the demand for the parts that lets them get away with it?
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:18 AM   #4
leddzepp

You are correct Frank...I have yet to see an NOS outer grille that wasn't all jacked up. I love it when they say "a little shelf wear" Looks like it fell off the shelf about 50 times!
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:26 AM   #5
Rack Man

Good to know...as I'm in the market for a 69-70 NOS one...Did you get it from a Chevy Dealer?

Dan
Old 12-16-2008, 01:46 AM   #6
70cstjr

thats the funny thing my dad bought a 70 NOS outter grill, a while ago but when he recently tried to buy a 70 inner grill..next to impossible since they sell most the 69's as 70...good luck on your search
Old 12-16-2008, 03:26 AM   #7
caminokid
Chevy nut

I was looking at them and seen them from 499 to 799 each. I cant justify that kind of money. I will take my time....take the dents out of the 2 I have and polish them up.

"Remember kids there is NO replacement for displacement!"
caminokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:01 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

If there`s a bar code present anywhere it`s not N.O.S. They didn`t have that back then.Anything else is a re-make made in Taiwan packaged for GM Restoration Parts.GM sold out of major trim parts over a decade ago when parts depleated and inventories went on computers.Golden State and other early GM Truck vendors and others bought it up.
Are these grilles from individuals who sat on them since the`80s?I now hear how parts reserves were largely rejected line parts.I think that`s a myth.Either that or somehow GM managed to sell off the good stuff first and saved the worst for last.Because all the parts I ever bought from GM were everbit as good as any part that came off the line.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:19 AM   #9
tinkerdad

I paid $700 for a truck just for the grill. There were a few other good parts I kept. It will need polished but it was a better deal than buying just a grill.
tinkerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:01 PM   #10
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
If there`s a bar code present anywhere it`s not N.O.S. They didn`t have that back then.Anything else is a re-make made in Taiwan packaged for GM Restoration Parts.GM sold out of major trim parts over a decade ago when parts depleated and inventories went on computers.Golden State and other early GM Truck vendors and others bought it up.
Are these grilles from individuals who sat on them since the`80s?I now hear how parts reserves were largely rejected line parts.I think that`s a myth.Either that or somehow GM managed to sell off the good stuff first and saved the worst for last.Because all the parts I ever bought from GM were everbit as good as any part that came off the line.

No hording needed. Your local GM dealer will take your money and sell you a brand new grille. Not a reproduction, but a new, original grille.

What he's saying is that there is something wrong with the production line and the quality has suffered of late.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:13 PM   #11
caminokid
Chevy nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerdad View Post
I paid $700 for a truck just for the grill. There were a few other good parts I kept. It will need polished but it was a better deal than buying just a grill.
I have done the same thing. I got most of my money back selling parts off of it.

"Remember kids there is NO replacement for displacement!"
caminokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:51 PM   #12
VA72C10
VA72C10

I bought one recently that came unopened in a GM box w/ the correct number and the quality is suffering. Had paint in the wrong areas, dull spots, and thick to thin lines in the paint in the lines on either side of the chevy. Also the letters weren't as crisp as the original grill if that makes sense. Here's a link to one on Ebay for 495. It's the guy I bought it from...he took it back and paid for all shipping so he's a stand up guy. He relisted it as I described it and it sold for over 500. He told me he's been checking them out now (opening them up and inspecting them)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...AVRI&viewitem=
Old 12-16-2008, 12:54 PM   #13
John @ BROTHERS

Tx Firefighter is right, you can go to your local GM dealer and order a grille if they are willing to look for it. They are probably still a few in the system but I doubt they are perfect. These grilles have been getting picked through for 30 years and the bottom of the barrel is left. About 3-4 years ago we got a shipment from GM of about 20-30 and I picked through every single one to find the best and I was surprised with the lack of quality back then. We on average would send back 15-20 percent of them every shipment. The repros aren't bad, they have a better shine due to the fact they are lightly polished compared to the anodized aluminum of the originals. However, some people have to have the Original GM grille due to the stamped letters and I understand that. By the way, I still have the grille in the original GM box in my attic just in case I ever get in an accident. No, its not for sale.
John @ BROTHERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 02:02 PM   #14
westofb
I really hate wet sanding!

try going to the following link: http://www.classicparts.com/1969-70-...ctinfo/61-046/
I have purchase one of these and was very please with it.
westofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 05:13 PM   #15
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

Yes, these were from the Chev dealer...ordered fresh out of the warehouse in Oregon. Clean new boxes, not old stuff hanging around for years...and both of them had the exact same production flaws (flaws is not a "strong" enough word).
We need repros that are stamped "CHEVROLET". They can't be any worse than these.
PICKMUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:44 PM   #16
71 super

Special K, I too had heard that the replacment parts were rejects off of the line and tha may be true for some but I doubt for all. The reason I say it is possible is for the simple fact that if they tried and it did not fit it was set aside. It would be foolish to scrap this as we all know that the tolerances on these trucks was pretty large. If the parts did not fit the first time they went to replacement parts section and when installers at the dealership or body shop got them and they did not fit just right, GM had the out of "It was wreaked so it won't fit right". On the other side they are required to produce enough surplus to supply the vehicles produced, so as was stated before, the bottom of the barrel has been reached.
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:27 PM   #17
westofb
I really hate wet sanding!

I don't know if they are factory seconds or not, I would guess they are made somewhere in the south pacific. The link I gave if for the reproduction grill with CHEVROLET stamped across the center bar. They also have a version without the letters stamped on it for $200 less. I am very happy with the one I got, looked forever for a good used one, all I can say is good luck, if that is the way you want to go. My truck is a daily driver, I was not worried about having a concours restoration.

Last edited by westofb; 12-16-2008 at 10:30 PM. Reason: spelling and addition added
westofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:58 AM   #18
special-K
Special Order

Well,all the rejects off the line I`ve bought for over 30 years have not been flawed and no one picked through any parts to get mine.I doubt GM paid someone to organized parts from better quality to worse and stack them so the worst stuff would be used last.I`ve ordered parts from the same dealership over the years and they look as hard as anyone can for parts.Last year I was looking for console parts and they found me the last ashtray in Louisianna.I don`t except a part is depleted until they check all databases.Years ago they couldn`t locate any grilles.GM started the GM Restoration Parts program when stock was depleted and they had begun selling licensing to reproduction jobbers to reproduce parts.GM decided to market these parts,too,and call them GM Restoration Parts.But,these are not parts that were made on the same machinery or before 1973.How can a part with a bar code be from 1972 when they weren`t used yet?Packaging design changes over the years.A true telltale of when the part was made.
I can only speak from my experience.Maybe what I consider n.o.s. or factory-made to be different than others.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 12-18-2008 at 07:12 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote