The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-17-2008, 12:25 AM   #1
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

1965 C10 Sway bar frustration

I'm so pissed!!!! I normally don't follow many directions, so why did I start tonight? I thought that I would do something that I could get done in a night. The sway bar was a good choice. So I thought. It came from CPP but all they do is buy it from ADCO. So I followed the directions by cutting off the front frame Xmember lower rivet on both sides. If I had paid more attention to the relation of the rivet to the gearbox I might have seen there was a difference.

Once done I tried to align the bracket with the hole and things just didn't line up. This is the best it would fit going by how the bracket was laying against the frame. I noticed it was too close to the gear box.

I then moved the bracket to the tie down hole. Notice how it doesn't line up with the bar.

I know this can't be right.

I then just assymbled everything and this is where it lined up. Now I've got to touch up my frame and find some more bolts to put in the holes that I'm not going to use.

I could have just left the rivets alone. I still have too drill 4 holes. If this is the correct kit then I don't mind drilling the holes. I just wish the instructions mentioned that. Maybe someone can enlighten me to what I'm doing wrong. The box says it's for 63-72 trucks. I thought about posting this in the suspension forum, but it is still part of my story. I might still list it there. I'm not going to contact CPP cause they have never answered my email or even followed up on my phone call. They were supposed to email me what they found out.

I know I'm not the brightest light in the house, but I hate when I prove it.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:15 AM   #2
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Re: 1965 C10 Sway bar frustration

Ugh, I'm upset for you. I empathize with your frustration, brother. I did the same thing the first time, as well. Tragically, I found out that a lot of the sway bar kits are different from on manufacturer to the next after grinding off rivets, too, and screwing up a fresh powdercoat job. Now, I mount the bar to the lower control arms, loosely attached the bushings and bracket assembly, and raise the bar up to the frame and rest it on jack stands (if the truck is up in the air), or zip tie it up just so I can see where the brackets will land on the frame.
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote