The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-24-2008, 05:50 PM   #1
Brutha

Engine Rebuilder DFW Area

I am a new member and need some information. I have a 61 stepside that has the original inline 6 engine. I don't think the motor has ever been opened up. I live in the Dallas Fort Worth area and am looking for an engine rebuilder to rebuild the motor. It actually runs fine but I am going to be depending on the truck for my primary form of transportation so I think I should bring the drivetrain up to as new condition. I would like to keep the original core and not buy a long block. I don't have the time to do it myself.

I am retiring this coming Friday the 26th and I need a vehicle as a daily driver. While the motor is being built I am going to redo the brakes and paint the frame to get it ready for exterior paint and new bed wood.

A local garage has offered to pull, rebuild, and reinstall the motor and replace the clutch and related components for $1600 plus tax. 4 year 50,000 mile warranty on the motor. Sounds pretty good but I don't have anything to compare it too.

Sound OK?
Brutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 05:57 PM   #2
Rogue
Airport Bum

Re: Engine Rebuilder DFW Area

John Day is the best I know!

He isn't the cheapest, just one of the best.

Day Custom Engine
401 S Sherman St
Richardson, TX 75081
1959 Edsel Villager
1963 Skylark
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 10:01 PM   #3
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutha View Post
I am a new member and need some information. I have a 61 stepside that has the original inline 6 engine. I don't think the motor has ever been opened up. I live in the Dallas Fort Worth area and am looking for an engine rebuilder to rebuild the motor. It actually runs fine but I am going to be depending on the truck for my primary form of transportation so I think I should bring the drivetrain up to as new condition. I would like to keep the original core and not buy a long block. I don't have the time to do it myself.

I am retiring this coming Friday the 26th and I need a vehicle as a daily driver. While the motor is being built I am going to redo the brakes and paint the frame to get it ready for exterior paint and new bed wood.

A local garage has offered to pull, rebuild, and reinstall the motor and replace the clutch and related components for $1600 plus tax. 4 year 50,000 mile warranty on the motor. Sounds pretty good but I don't have anything to compare it too.

Sound OK?
$1600 including the labor & 4yr-warranty is a very fair price.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 11:27 PM   #4
LILRED66
Account Suspended

Brutha:

Although I am not able to help you with a reputable engine builder in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, I will welcome you onboard the forums from Kansas City, KS.

Be sure to let us know your experience with whoever you use and be sure to post lots of pictures.

Good luck with your building and Happy Holidays.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 02:53 PM   #5
MXmaniac

A shop in Lewisville rebuilt my 292 for about $1000 last year. They closed but one of the owners has another machine shop in Keller that did some warranty work for me that turned out real well. I'll try to find his card and get you his number.

For an absolute top notch option I've heard Wayne Calvert does very good work in Denton, and I've been in there and they are all really nice guys. He mostly does race engines though so it probably wouldn't be cheap.

But what that shop quoted you sounds like a pretty good deal.
'97 F*rd Mustang GT(4.6L, 5-speed) Daily Driver
If I only wanted two pedals I'd have bought a bicycle.
MXmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 03:14 PM   #6
Rogue
Airport Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXmaniac View Post
For an absolute top notch option I've heard Wayne Calvert does very good work in Denton, and I've been in there and they are all really nice guys. He mostly does race engines though so it probably wouldn't be cheap.
They screwed up one of my club members Studebaker engines royally.
Then wouldn't work with him to get it right.

Sucks to have to buy parts twice and pay for work twice, especially on a vintage engine.
1959 Edsel Villager
1963 Skylark
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:26 AM   #7
Brutha

The shop I'm talking about is Beck's in Arlington, in business 50 years and on the fourth generation of Beck's mechanics. I was asking an open ended question to see if their shop came up. Thanks for the replies.

I'm going to go look at their shop next week. See how it looks and what's up. I could drop in a long block and replace the clutch but it would be nice to have a warranty.

I'd still appreciate any further input, regards.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:14 AM   #8
SCOTI

Quote:
The shop I'm talking about is Beck's in Arlington, in business 50 years and on the fourth generation of Beck's mechanics. I was asking an open ended question to see if their shop came up. Thanks for the replies.

I'm going to go look at their shop next week. See how it looks and what's up. I could drop in a long block and replace the clutch but it would be nice to have a warranty.

I'd still appreciate any further input, regards.
Are you dead set on rebuilding that engine? Drop off another while keeping yours together allows you more time on the build process. You could prob pick up another spare 6cyl/3spd combo in DFW for cheap ($150 or so).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Last edited by SCOTI; 12-26-2008 at 01:14 AM.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:16 AM   #9
Brutha

Hey I just thought it would be a good idea to keep the original truck together. It is all original I am the third owner. I guess I could pick up a core or simply buy a long block but then I'd have an engine to store and taking up room in my shop. I'd just as soon not have a bunch of extra parts hanging around.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:16 AM   #10
SCOTI

Quote:
Hey I just thought it would be a good idea to keep the original truck together. It is all original I am the third owner. I guess I could pick up a core or simply buy a long block but then I'd have an engine to store and taking up room in my shop. I'd just as soon not have a bunch of extra parts hanging around.
Use the core to rebuild & then when you're all done w/the swap sell off the extram parts.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG