The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-25-2008, 03:38 AM   #1
mark 68

1968 spid question

I was able to get a look at the spid in my glove box. Figured out most of the stuff but one number i cant find any information on.

4614 JB

Any help would be great.

Also my spid is kind of bare. Only information is model number, color med poly blue, and the mystery number. Does that mean my truck was ordered with pretty much no options?
mark 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 07:07 AM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: 1968 spid question

that means your truck has 2 options, the color, and what ever JB is.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 10:34 AM   #3
mr48chev

I have no idea about the 4614 JB but with the trucks of that era it was pretty common for the dealers to stock "stripper" trucks for sale to companies and people who didn't want to pay for extra frills on a truck they intended to use for work in that period.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:06 PM   #4
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

I have always thought that there must be a dealer order book or master code book for each year that listed all the options and what the numbers and letters designate. The search for the "holy grail" of SPID code information continues!
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:19 PM   #5
chipflyer

Quote:
I have always thought that there must be a dealer order book or master code book for each year that listed all the options and what the numbers and letters designate. The search for the "holy grail" of SPID code information continues!

You can order a free Restoration pack from GM for each year of theses trucks. You will get a list of all of the available options for the year of truck you order. Search the FAQ section for the toll free number you can use to order.
There are also dealer books for each year that have all of the option info but they are quite expensive and somewhat elusive. Watch the for sale section here and EBAY, they do pop up from time to time.

I have compiled a list of the factory RPO codes that pertain only to the 67-72 chevy trucks, it can be found here. http://outintheshop.com/options.html

Jeff

1971 Cheyenne Super K10 - tilt, cruise, air, am/fm, tow hooks, factory buckets!
1986 Jeep J10 pickup, - 5.3L Vortec with 4L60e and NP241.
chipflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:31 PM   #6
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

Jeff, Thanks...that is an excellent resource and it is quite helpful but not complete. In my 1968 Official GM Restoration package I cannot find the number Mark 68 is looking for. I also can never find all the information on the 68 Anniversary options either. They either left out a bunch of info or there are some base codes, like what Mark is looking for, that are just not listed. I feel like a detective sometimes looking for this stuff...LOL!

Mark 68...follow Jeff's suggestion since the FREE GM resto guide will get you about 99% of what you are looking for...good luck on the rest...and BTW post whatever you find that is NOT listed for the rest of us that are trying to do 100 pt. restorations. Post a picture of your SPID and someone might be able to provide you more help.

CHIPFLYER (Jeff)...Awesome job on your website! I was looking at it earlier and did not realize that it was yours. I will be ordering a couple of your repro SPID's when I get to that point in my Longhorn restoration.
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)

Last edited by stllookn; 12-26-2008 at 12:41 PM.
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 02:17 PM   #7
chipflyer

Like the Restoration packs, I don't have paint codes included either but I am working on the the list of interior/exterior codes (pulled from real SPIDS) and will add them to my site soon. Marks code, 4614AB is BLUE VINYL TRIM. The first number (4) is common on a 67 label and no one seems to know what it stands for. 614 is the actual rpo code and the AB stands for something I am sure, but I have never found anyone here (or anywhere else) who could explain the meaning of the last 2 digits or letters. Later labels normally (but not always!) used just the 3 digit rpo codes. Some of the earlier labels even started with 04, believe it or not.
In your case, as far as I know, there is no special code for the 68 anniversary trucks just the gold/white paint and the parchment trim code. I do have several original SPIDS from those trucks in my collection.

Hope this helps,

Jeff

1971 Cheyenne Super K10 - tilt, cruise, air, am/fm, tow hooks, factory buckets!
1986 Jeep J10 pickup, - 5.3L Vortec with 4L60e and NP241.

Last edited by chipflyer; 12-26-2008 at 02:17 PM.
chipflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 04:41 PM   #8
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

[QUOTE=stllookn;3047337]I have always thought that there must be a dealer order book or master code book for each year that listed all the options and what the numbers and letters designate.QUOTE]

There is, and it is called "Truck Data Book", and was used by dealers to spec-out and order the trucks that they either stocked on their lots, or used to "build" your special-order truck. I have one, dated April, 1969. It has El Camino, C/K series 10-30, C-40-80, P-series, G-series, etc. Any option that was available then, is listed with the codes that would be shown on the SPID label, dealer cost, MSRP, and so forth. With this book, you can price a new '69, equipped however your truck is or however your imagination would want it to be. Exterior/interior color combos are listed, and exterior colors are shown as well.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 02:18 AM   #9
mark 68

Jeff you are the man. If you look real hard in the worn area of the tag you can make out a little of blue and some of trim. I am getting ready to order my rest pack. Will be getting with you on a new spid. One thing I don't recall seeing a spid lay out similar to mine close but not exact. And thanks again for the help......http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/i...lies/coool.gif
mark 68 is offline   Reply With Quote