The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-25-2008, 03:37 PM   #1
BurnoutNova

Question for you guys that do body work

On my 71 K10, I've fianally got to the point that I'm blocking it all. On the doors, right at the front where the gap between the dooar and front fender is theres a slight taper, maybe like 1/16" or maybe a bit more. It's like this on both sides, and appears it's supposed to be there. I can figure out how to sand that and make it look good? I'm afraid there will be some nasty looking reflections coming from that area, and the rest of the truck will be super straight looking.

Anyone seen this before?
BurnoutNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 04:21 PM   #2
8mpg

Re: Question for you guys that do body work

If it is high, just sand it down...use a long board.
8mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 05:43 PM   #3
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

When these trucks were built, keeping the gaps even all the way around the doors, or between the fender/hood, etc., wasn't an important item. We've gotten used to the even gaps on Lexus, Acura, etc., and now we want that same quality of fit in our trucks.

Did I miss the boat in understanding your situation? The shims that are used to position the fender-to-cowl placement may be what will help in your situatioin. But on my truck, the adjustments needed to get the gaps evenly consistent, are going to tough.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 07:07 PM   #4
mbgmike

The doors came this way. Its tapered to allow the door to clear the fender edge when opening them. If you had moulding the molding was indented slightly also. We just leave it alone and i think you would be happy with it
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 07:58 PM   #5
Painter D

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgmike View Post
The doors came this way. Its tapered to allow the door to clear the fender edge when opening them. If you had moulding the molding was indented slightly also. We just leave it alone and i think you would be happy with it
I believe he's correct ,my truck has the taper on both doors. I thought that it wouldn't look right at first too, but it looks fine on my truck.

'63 Buick Riviera ... AccuAir E-level, 20" Billet Specialties (Vintecs)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=528853&page=5
Painter D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 08:35 PM   #6
BurnoutNova

I know it came that way from the factory, but all the other flaws from tha factory have been taken care of. All the spots where the pinch welds distort the body on the cab are gone, the spot weld marks on the tailgate are gone, And theres obly 3/16 gap on all the body lines.

I wasnt complaining of the way it is, just asking how do some of the high end body guys address it. I was thinkin of taking to doors off, and putting a piece of tape goind verticle where it starts to taper, and them sand the rest of it so its smooth, and not wavy from where the door skin is welded on.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:44 PM   #7
bad6772
Official Site Guitar Shredder

Thats what i would do......How ever these truck came from the factory ? Does not mean anything to me....Poor fit and finish may have been ok then....But to my standards it simply did not fly.....On Sweet Pea.....I reamed, shimmed cut doors in half, ground down edges re welded them........What ever it took to get a line i was satisfied with...And in my eyes.....Why spend all the time and money into re-storing or re doing one......And slack on the little things........IMO you have gotten this far in your build.And done all the hard work.....Why stop now and half ass it..Good Luck............
bad6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 11:29 AM   #8
Rokcrln

On LowBuck I also strayed from factory in this area. I reworked the front edges of both the door and fender with a hammer and dolly then leaded the area. Sanded, shaped and sprayed.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:31 PM   #9
BurnoutNova

I dont think I want to completely take the taper out, just make it look a bit smoother, I'd really hate to have it wavy, even though its a small area. At least it its straight, and tapered a bit it will be much better.