The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-26-2008, 04:27 PM   #1
Pole Kitty

My Radiator Won't fit

Ok, so I bought a new Radiator, one of those 4 row super HD that will cool anything but an reactor, Well it doesn't fit right. The problem is that top brackets are about 1/2" to 3/4" to high to fit flush with the support. I noticed that the spot where the lower brackets sit is raised about that same distance at the bottom of the support. I don't know if that area where the bottom brackets attach is suppose to be raised on a 1968, or is it flat along the rear of the support on the new supports ( I will be getting a new one soon). I measured the new radiator and compared the overall height to the 2 row that I removed and it is about 1/2" differance. I didn't know if the HD radiator supports that I bought from Brothers might be the issue, or the radiator that I got locally. Any help would be greatfull before I start cutting and beating this thing in to position.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:36 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: My Radiator Won't fit

-
The four row will use different top and bottom supports than the two row. I would also get new rubber pads for the top & bottom supports. If the radiator is the correct one for the truck I would think it would be the same dimensions as the old one... There might be a small difference but I wouldn't think it would be a half inch.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:13 PM   #3
Pole Kitty

I bought new rad. supports and rubber pads. I am wondering if the front support is a little differant where the lower rad. support mounts?
Old 12-26-2008, 10:17 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
To the best of my knowledge the core supports are all the same where the lower support brackets mount...

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:17 AM   #5
71tahoe

My radiator support needed a little relief where the lower pads mount. This may be causing the rad to stick up a half inch.
71tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:02 PM   #6
HavinSomeFun
Still Just Havin Some Fun!

I had to move my lower mounts to the outer position and it fit like a glove.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:21 PM   #7
Pole Kitty

The lower rad. mount on the R/H side was moved to the outer position and I did have to cut (or notch) the 2 areas where the lower mounts fit so they would fit flat against the core support, but it's still to high for the upper mounts to fit flush. Has anybody taken pics of a new core support in the area where the the lower rad. mounts sit so I can compare them with a original support?
Old 12-27-2008, 01:27 PM   #8
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

If your brackets are too high, then the radiator is the problem. If it is not a direct replacement for the OEM equipment, then you may have to modify the truck for it to fit. Or get the correct replacement radiator. WES
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 01:42 PM   #9
Pole Kitty

Thanks WES, I was afraid of that. When I measured the stock and the new rad. and found a 1/2" diff. in overall height I figured I would encounter a problem, But you buy a replacement that covers the years between 68-72 you would think it will fit. For the price of the rad. ($245) I think I can do a little mod or 2 to make it fit. Has any bought from BROTHERS, the HD rad. mount kit? I was wondering of the upper mounts might be part of the problem.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:49 PM   #10
Classic Heartbeat

The kit that you will get from Brothers is for a direct replacement radiator. The amount of cores or rows as some people call them will only effect the thickness of the radiator. Not the height or width. So if the radiator is too short it is too short. No matter what brackets you use. The brackets for the 4 row radiator alow for the extra thickness that the 4 row radiator has. WES
Like Us on Facebook
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
Old 12-27-2008, 01:51 PM   #11
Classic Heartbeat

I hope I explained that well and didn't confuse you... I just about confused myself typing it...lol WES
Like Us on Facebook
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
Old 12-27-2008, 02:18 PM   #12
Pole Kitty

Nope, I understood it fine. The tanks are the same for the 3 or 4 row (core), which is where the rad. supports attach. I guess I will modify the Front core support to allow the Rad. to drop about 3/4". Thats going to be a lot of work for just a small detail. But what the heck,It's just a truck, right?
Old 12-27-2008, 02:52 PM   #13
Classic Heartbeat

The tanks are the same for the 2 and 3 row radiators. It is the 4 row radiator that got the wider tanks. Height and width of the overall radiator including the tanks are the same. WES
Like Us on Facebook
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
Old 12-27-2008, 04:41 PM   #14
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I'm still a little confused... are you sure you have the right brackets? If your truck did not have a 4 row before, the bottom mounts are riveted in place, you have to drill them out to install the wider 4 row brackets. The top brackets are wider as well. 2 and 3 row radiators have the same width tank, with the 2 row using the "inside" mounting position on the passenger side and the 3 row using the "outside" mounting position. A 4 row uses the "outside" mounting position AND wider brackets. If the rubber and brackets do not easily/snugly fit over top/bottom of the tank, they are the wrong ones. I apologize if you have replaced them to the 4 row type, but your posts aren't very clear on that. I can only assume that the tanks/radiator is sitting "higher" because it wont fit down into the narrower 2/3 core brackets. I too discovered this difference when I bought my 4 row earlier this year.

Also, I picked up a factory style 4 row automatic radiator from Advance Auto for right around $200, they even had it in stock!
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 12-27-2008 at 04:43 PM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 05:50 PM   #15
Boog
laying low

I also had some fit issues with mine. I bought an aftermarket 4 row rad for my 69 that originally had a 6 cyl engine. I bought new upper and lower brackets and pads from my local Chevy dealer. With the new rad put in place it seemed to be too tall for the upper brackets to bolt down. I put it off on the newer rubber pads and bolted it down anyway. I don't remember if it was 1/2" high or not but the upper brackets weren't level like the old ones. It isn't going to go anywhere for sure!
I also have another issue with this rad and it's the stock fan shroud will not bolt in place without modifying it. It is not for the 4 row rad.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:38 PM   #16
69chevybmx

I had this same exact problem. i got a new HD radiator allegedly a direct replacement. i also purchased the HD brackets from LMC thinking the upper bracket for the HD radiator would be different. to my surprise, they are the same, (kind of). The OE brackets on my 69 were two different sizes. The side with the fill cap was a larger length because the tank on that side was wider. the tank on the other side of the radiator was about 2" thinner. The HD brackets that i received were the same size as the larger of the OE brackets. The lower mounts and pads were also the same size. i ended up modifying the new brackets that i bought (against my will) along w/ the new rubber pads. between the upper and lower i was able to shave off enough to get it to clear. I am still not happy with the fit though and i will be modifying the core support to make it sit flush.
69chevybmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:47 PM   #17
BLACK AND BLUE 67-72
Firefighter

Have you tightened the radiator down yet? Mine set a little too high until I tightened the top mounts down, you will also have to notch the lower support because the brackets are longer.
Yellville, Ar. USA

BLACK AND BLUE 67-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:28 PM   #18
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pole Kitty View Post
Nope, I understood it fine. The tanks are the same for the 3 or 4 row (core), which is where the rad. supports attach. I guess I will modify the Front core support to allow the Rad. to drop about 3/4". Thats going to be a lot of work for just a small detail. But what the heck,It's just a truck, right?
No they're not just Trucks.....not anymore.

Bought my replacment 4 core rad and support bracket rubbers from Classic Heartbeat...perfect fit. Definately follow the advice of Classic Heartbeat & 67ChevyRedneck on this and you won't go wrong...provided your tying to fit a 4row where a 4 row came from in the first place.

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:19 PM   #19
LiveWire64

Smile Re: My Radiator Won't fit

Maybe the new radiator is for a 73 & up year Chevrolet truck. I put a 4-row out of my 77 454 Suburban in my 72 van. The radiator is taller. I ordered new 4-row top mounts & 4 new mounting rubbers. Here is a pic of how I modified the mounts. Hope this helps,Brad
72 Chevy 10 Van,short wb,454
78 Chevy 10 Van,short wb,350
72 Chevy Malibu 350.
77 Chevy Suburban. Silverado 20 Trailering Special.454,turbo400.
LiveWire64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:07 PM   #20
Ricebird

Sorry for dredging up an 8-year-old post, but I'm putting a new radiator in my '68 and have been looking at all of these issues because I am facing some of them now myself. Like most, I was told to upgrade to a 4-row from my stock unit. I don't have a/c now but have been considering a Vintage Air unit for the future. No need to put a small radiator in now and have to upgrade later. I ordered new, longer brackets, upper and lower, along with the pads. Finally got my old radiator out last night and discovered that the lower brackets are welded in place. Also discovered that the new lower brackets won't fit in the radiator support pan. I see where you have to drill out the weld and then notch the flange so the longer brackets will work. I don't weld, so my first question is how does everyone else fasten the new brackets in place. Next, do I have to cut the support pan flange off completely or does the new radiator not hit it (haven't test-fit the radiator yet). Finally, I ordered a new shroud but don't know how it fastens on the bottom. The old one bolted to the support flange. Thanks for any advice!
Ricebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:19 PM   #21
Orange67

As far as the bottom brackets, those should be rivets, but with these trucks anything is possible. The shroud, which also needs to be for the larger 4 core, there are "S" shaped brackets that the bottom slides into. I can't remember where I found mine. Hope that helps.

'67 C20 CST Custom Camper
'04.5 LLY Duramax CCSB...sold
Orange67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 02:10 AM   #22
Z10

Try this
http://www.speedcooling.com/1967_197..._Radiator.html

Made in USA, drops right in. I've run one for over 11,000 miles and 3 summers in Hot West Texas, cooling a warmed up ZZ4 with TPI and A/C with zero issues.

Also a quality 2 row will cool better than a 3 or 4 core. It's counter intuitive. Some light reading:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...rass-tech.html

You can see my install on my build thread.

And lastly some visuals:
Attached Images

1979 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 & 1979 Pontiac Trans Am 10th Anniversary
1999 Honda Valkyrie
2006 Corvette Z06
2010 BMW 650i
Z10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:06 PM   #23
Ricebird

Thanks, Orange67 and Z10! Got the original lower brackets drilled out, flange notched and new brackets pop-riveted in place. Actually ordered and have the new radiator that you recommend, Z10, so I feel good about that decision. It drops right in but the brackets appear to set a little higher, probably due to the new pads. I appreciate all of the great info and I'm sure I'll need more assistance in the near future!
Old 03-03-2017, 10:56 PM   #24
Z10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricebird View Post
Thanks, Orange67 and Z10! Got the original lower brackets drilled out, flange notched and new brackets pop-riveted in place. Actually ordered and have the new radiator that you recommend, Z10, so I feel good about that decision. It drops right in but the brackets appear to set a little higher, probably due to the new pads. I appreciate all of the great info and I'm sure I'll need more assistance in the near future!
Happy to help.
1979 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 & 1979 Pontiac Trans Am 10th Anniversary
1999 Honda Valkyrie
2006 Corvette Z06
2010 BMW 650i
Z10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 06:43 PM   #25
Ricebird

Got my new radiator in and it fits fine but I have another question. My '68 has a powerglide transmission and, therefore, my new radiator has an integrated transmission oil cooler. I know I lost some fluid with the change so my question is, what transmission fluid is compatible with my powerglide? Can I top off my fluid (that is probably more than 20 years old) with the newest version (Dexron, I think)?