The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-31-2008, 10:28 PM   #1
MoparFan

Thumbs up 68 C20 - Aquiring soon

Well, I know I'm a little out of place here since I'm obviously a Mopar guy, but hey, I'm in the process of acquiring a 68 Chevy.

And well, I honestly don't know much when it comes to Chevy World so I thought this might be a good place to start.

I'm getting this truck (along with a Dodge 1 ton) in trade for my 76 Power Wagon.

Here is the info I've got so far and the pics I have of it. I'd appreciate any and all feedback that you guys can give me, as I can't seem to find much info on the 68 long box 3/4 tons.

What the guy has told me so far:
-1968 Chevy C20 3/4 ton
-2 wheel drive
-307 engine
-4 speed with granny low
-456 rear end
-No power steering
-No power brakes (1 wheel cylinder is leaking, but can pump the brakes and they will hold but will bleed down by the next stop light)
-New heater core
-Dash is perfect, no cracks
-Start of a hole where your heel rests while driving
-Expanding foam in the rockers
-He says overall a really solid truck.
-Bed has rust, both inside and out
-Interior is rough, but not horrid
-Almost all the original stainless trim still on it
-Says it starts right up, just pull the choke, pump it once and it fires right off.

Well, hopefully you guys can let me know how decent of a truck I'm getting my hands on

Thanks!
Calvin

MoparFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:34 PM   #2
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Re: 68 C20 - Aquiring soon

Very straight truck! Needs rockers/cab corners though. But overall a nice truck! Welcome to the forum!

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:38 PM   #3
70cst

and to our family MoparFan ...
You have a very good looking 68. You will find this forum very helpful and one of the best sights when it comes to knowledge about these great trucks. Read the below link to see why these trucks are so great. Please consider becoming a Site Supporter as it allows you to post WIW (Whats its Worth), FS (For Sale), WTT (Want to trade), and WTB (Want to buy).
Let the party begin.

http://www.sporttruck.com/techarticl...cks/index.html

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!

Last edited by 70cst; 12-31-2008 at 10:40 PM.
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:38 PM   #4
MoparFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdstreettito View Post
Very straight truck! Needs rockers/cab corners though. But overall a nice truck! Welcome to the forum!
Thanks for the welcome and compliment! It definitely needs some body work, but the Dodge I'm getting covers my truck in trade so basically this 68 is just icing on the cake. Thought about selling it, but who knows... heck I wouldn't even know what to ask for the truck, so I might just end up keeping it and making it a nice daily driver.

But anyways, once I get this in my possession, you can definitely expect me to be in here requesting the wisdom of all you guys!

Happy New Years,
Calvin

Last edited by MoparFan; 12-31-2008 at 10:39 PM.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:41 PM   #5
MoparFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cst View Post
and to our family MoparFan ...
You have a very good looking 68. You will find this forum very helpful and one of he better sights when it comes to knowledge about these great trucks. Read the below link to see why these trucks are so great. Please consider becoming a Site Supporter as it allows you to post WIW (Whats its Worth), FS (For Sale), WTT (Want to trade), and WTB (Want to buy).
Let the party begin.

http://www.sporttruck.com/techarticl...cks/index.html

Thanks for the very colorful welcome! I appreciate it a lot... and so far this definitely seems like the site for info and help... not to mention friendly company!

And I will definitely have to check out becoming a Supporter... gotta help keep the good sites up and running!

Thanks and Happy New Years,
Calvin
Old 12-31-2008, 10:43 PM   #6
chevy29267truck
Account Suspended

welcome thats a nice 68 chevy truck you get too know chevys on here fast but watch what you say on here
chevy29267truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:46 PM   #7
OhioDan

Question Re: 68 C20 - Aquiring soon

Calvin, and from New Carlisle, Ohio. There's a guy in Dayton who's trying to sell a 68 SWB 1/2 ton, that's on a Dodge pickup chassis? With a 318 cu.in. Have seen it on the lot for 2 years now. You could satisfy the dodge and chevy habit with it?

LIFE AIN'T EASY WHEN YER FAT AND GREASY!
GMC= Got More Class!
1970 GMC LWB, Fleetside, 350/4spd, Flowmaster "40's", 2002 GMC 16" Rallies, cowl hood,and added a bunch of options that weren't there when I started.
OhioDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:03 PM   #8
MoparFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy29267truck View Post
welcome thats a nice 68 chevy truck you get too know chevys on here fast but watch what you say on here
Thanks! And I'm hoping to get to know them well (and fast never hurts!). But hmm... could you fill me in a bit on the "watch what you say" part? Just want to make sure I don't break any rules or start any trouble. I want to stay on the good side in here.

Thanks and Happy New Years!
Calvin
Old 12-31-2008, 11:04 PM   #9
MoparFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioDan View Post
Calvin, and from New Carlisle, Ohio. There's a guy in Dayton who's trying to sell a 68 SWB 1/2 ton, that's on a Dodge pickup chassis? With a 318 cu.in. Have seen it on the lot for 2 years now. You could satisfy the dodge and chevy habit with it?
Now there's an idea! "2 for one special!"

Is it posted on here? If so I will have to check it out.

And thanks for the Welcome too!

Happy New Years,
Calvin
Old 12-31-2008, 11:33 PM   #10
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Welcome!!! Calvin you are about to own a truck that will convert you if you restore it.I say that because you have been paying way too much for parts.I have owned both and the Chevy's are regular price.I know some Mopar parts are made of Unobtainium so you can give your pocket a reast.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:39 PM   #11
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparFan View Post
Thanks! And I'm hoping to get to know them well (and fast never hurts!). But hmm... could you fill me in a bit on the "watch what you say" part? Just want to make sure I don't break any rules or start any trouble. I want to stay on the good side in here.

Thanks and Happy New Years!
Calvin

We just try and keep this "Family Friendly" so so we keep the language friendly and no political or religious post as they always seem to start an argument. You will be fine.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

Last edited by 70cst; 01-01-2009 at 12:28 AM.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:40 PM   #12
MoparFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
Welcome!!! Calvin you are about to own a truck that will convert you if you restore it.I say that because you have been paying way too much for parts.I have owned both and the Chevy's are regular price.I know some Mopar parts are made of Unobtainium so you can give your pocket a reast.
Thanks for the welcome! And I know what you mean about Mopar parts being made of Unobtainium... but fortunately we have a very large shop (about the size of a football field) and it's just chock full of Mopar parts so I don't get hit in the pocket book department too bad.

But... I'm already getting pretty excited about the "new" Chevy. I had owned an old 69 Chevy 3spd on the tree way back in the day and I enjoyed that truck quite a bit... she ran strong and treated me well... and I'm pretty sure this one will do the same for me!

Happy New Year!
Calvin
Old 12-31-2008, 11:43 PM   #13
MoparFan

Quote:
We just try and keep this "Family Friendly" so so we keep the language friendlt and no political or religious post as they always seem to start an argument. You will be fine.
Ah... gotcha! Yeah, I try to always keep the language clean and Family Friendly... I figure the "Sailor Mouth" is more appropriate (if you can call it that) for those conversation you hold with your buddies while doing some late night wrenching
Old 01-01-2009, 12:39 AM   #14
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Pics of the D*dge by any chance?

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:39 AM   #15
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

Welcome to the board. Just curious as to what kind of mopars you have? I have a couple listed in my sig. GM trucks and mopar cars, you can't go wrong...
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:53 AM   #16
MoparFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by too much stuff View Post
Welcome to the board. Just curious as to what kind of mopars you have? I have a couple listed in my sig. GM trucks and mopar cars, you can't go wrong...
I agree... we love our Mopars (and I think I'm beginning to love our Chevys too!)

But anyways... we've got a quite an extensive collection going right now... lol... as you will see below.

I've got the 76 Power Wagon 1/2 ton body frame with 3/4 ton axles and suspension but that is soon going away in return for the 68 Chevy and the 78 W300 1 ton Club Cab I'm getting.

Other than that here's the list of Mopars that we have currently (or at least the ones I can think of off the top of my head):

1971 Dodge D100 Sweptline Arizona truck = NO RUST, 318 / 727 Automatic. New window gaskets in doors, great interior, very clean truck, needs a paint job to be perfect.

1970 Dodge D100 Sweptline Factory 383 4 barrel 727 Auto and Factory A/C and Power Steering. Texas truck, both pass. and driver floor pans have some rust. Windshield is cracked but have the replacement, just haven't put it in yet. Needs tires, a seat cover, floors patched and paint to be a great truck.

1985 Dodge D350 Crew Cab - 360/NP435 4 Speed, Bodywork started, no box (going to be a flatbed), runs great. (possibly going to be a Cumming Diesel conversion, but not sure yet).

1985 Dodge D100 with tommy lift - great body other than front drivers fender which got hit - minimal rust - bad 318 so needs a new one put in. Overall a really great truck.

3 Dodge / Plymouth Neons 2/4 doors, Autos/Manual, Single/Dual overhead cams. Parts cars as they are not running.

1963 Dodge Polara 318/727 pushbutton 4dr (great shape and drivable)
2 1968 4dr Imperials (1 Crown and 1 LeBaron) (great shape and drivable)
1961 Plymouth Belvedere 318/727 4dr
67 Plymouth Barracuda (being restored)
1974 W200 3/4 ton Power Wagon (my brothers current truck)
2 1966 2dr Satellites (one drivable and the other is a parts car)
2 196? Dodge Darts both 2drs (at least I believe the are both Darts)
1975 Charger SE (being restored)

There might be a few more out there, but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. So yeah, Mopar tends to be what my family is into The toughest part is finding the time to finish all the projects... but someday... it will happen... hopefully!

Happy New Year,
Calvin

Last edited by MoparFan; 01-01-2009 at 12:57 AM.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:59 AM   #17
MoparFan

Quote:
Yeah... I can post them up... just give me a few minutes to upload them to my host site so I can put them here.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:00 AM   #18
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparFan View Post
Well I've got the 76 Power Wagon 1/2 ton body frame with 3/4 ton axles and suspension but that is soon going away in return for the 68 Chevy and the 78 W300 1 ton Club Cab I'm getting.

Other than that here's the list of Mopars that we have currently (or at least the ones I can think of off the top of my head):

1971 Dodge D100 Sweptline Arizona truck = NO RUST, 318 / 727 Automatic. New window gaskets in doors, great interior, very clean truck, needs a paint job to be perfect.

1970 Dodge D100 Sweptline Factory 383 4 barrel 727 Auto and Factory A/C and Power Steering. Texas truck, both pass. and driver floor pans have some rust. Windshield is cracked but have the replacement, just haven't put it in yet. Needs tires, a seat cover, floors patched and paint to be a great truck.

1985 Dodge D350 Crew Cab - 360/NP435 4 Speed, Bodywork started, no box (going to be a flatbed), runs great. (possibly going to be a Cumming Diesel conversion, but not sure yet).

1985 Dodge D100 with tommy lift - great body other than front drivers fender which got hit - minimal rust - bad 318 so needs a new one put in. Overall a really great truck.

3 Dodge / Plymouth Neons 2/4 doors, Autos/Manual, Single/Dual overhead cams. Parts cars as they are not running.

1963 Dodge Polara 318/727 pushbutton 4dr (great shape and drivable)
2 1968 4dr Imperials (1 Crown and 1 LeBaron) (great shape and drivable)
1961 Plymouth Belvedere 318/727 4dr
67 Plymouth Barracuda (being restored)
1974 W200 3/4 ton Power Wagon (my brothers current truck)
2 1966 2dr Satellites (one drivable and the other is a parts car)
2 196? Dodge Darts both 2drs (at least I believe the are both Darts)
1975 Charger SE (being restored)

There might be a few more out there, but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. So yeah, Mopar tends to be what my family is into The toughest part is finding the time to finish all the projects... but someday... it will happen... hopefully!

Happy New Year,
Calvin
WOW!!! You do have a lot of Mopars. Look on the brite side...you have just puchased your first ICON as stated by the link shown above.

Last edited by 70cst; 01-01-2009 at 01:05 AM.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:02 AM   #19
MoparFan

Quote:
WOW!!! You do have a lot of Mopars. Look on the brite side...you have just puchased your first ICON as stated by the lick shown above.
Very true on the Icon comment! I never thought of it that way... I really am pretty excited to get the 68 home... I'm hoping this weekend.

I know the moment I get in it that the memories from my ole 69 are going to come back... I really miss that ole truck.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:24 AM   #20
MoparFan

Quote:
Here are a few of the 78 Dodge W300 that I'm getting along with the 68 Chevy.

She's rough, but overall, I can't go wrong with the trade. Also, the plow isn't included... which sucks... but oh well, there wasn't one on my 76 short box that I'm trading either and I'd say my 76 has more rust on it so I can't really complain.

But on the bright side of things, I have all the parts needed to fix it up and have it running so financially I can't complain one bit and to top it off I'm upgrading to a 1 ton with the deal, so that's nice too. But I guess some people would rather have a running truck than have one that they need to put work into... where as I don't mind getting dirty to end up with a nice truck... so I personally feel I'm coming out way ahead on this deal... and well, the guy knows what he's trading and what he's getting... he just needs a running truck now and doesn't have the time to put the work needed into this one.