The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2009, 12:14 AM   #1
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

What did you get done? New Years edition

What did you get done?

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:43 AM   #2
SCOTI

Re: What did you get done? New Years edition

Well . . .... My NY's resolution was to not work so much. We're 4-days into the new year & so far I've worked 36hrs & that's w/Sat off. I guess that blows that resolution .

I planned to finish up a semi-rigid frame 'jig' today but work intervened. Hopefully I'll get a crack @ it tomorrow. 20'L x 5'W w/casters & leveling screw-jacks @ the 4-corners. It's actually 2 separate ends that connect lengthwise w/the 20' (3x3x.120) tubing. Not professional; but should work & keep things fairly true/square.

Once it's done, I'll use it to clamp a frame in place; cut it up, re-align the critical stuff after a few adjustments, & weld it back together (my first solo attempt for the record).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:47 AM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

i never made it upstate for New Years so ive been working on the house.. cleaned out a bunch of junk in another room, finished the bathroom more, and the only thing truck related was to put my bug flector and my window guard things on the ford

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 01:35 AM   #4
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Finally started disassembly on the 78 Silverado on Christmas day! Been waiting almost two months to start the project, getting the garage cleaned out, getting tools for the project, compressor, etc.

We have the front clip off, interior out and assessed the rust damage which is the usual...floor pans, rockers and cab corners. Order the panels this weekend and some other parts.

Have the sandblaster working, but no way to do it in a residential neighborhood without pissing off the neighbors (I'd be pissed too), so I've ordered 7x10 clear tarps and going to construct a big booth in the driveway using pvc pipe with the tarps attached. Will minimize the sandblasting and allow for some recovery.

Picking up the welder tomorrow. I have a ton of pics already. Will start a build thread soon, once we get a little further along.
BruthaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:05 AM   #5
flamingbig10
6.0 powered square

On new years Eve I finally figured out how the wires on my ez2 wire 22 circuit harness hooks up to the starter, Alternator, and H.E.I, It took me over a Month to figure it out, and if understood the instruction it would only took me a couple hours from taking the harness out of the box it came in, and wile I was rewiring I decided to Paint all the engine brackets but when it was time to put the brackets back on the alternator I couldn't find them, so I went to autozone and picked up a chrome alternator bracket with hard wear, so installed the bracket checked the fluids, and she fired right up, no problems, the first time my truck has started since before Thanksgiving and planned on driving around the block but I clean up for a New years party, and yesterday I drove it around the street with only thing working and wired up the wires that go to motor, ignition and the radio, also no seats just siting on the floor, I took my seats to upholster almost a month ago and guy just got the fabric yesterday, but I guess it's ago sine it not going cost a thing since I help the guy build a foundation for is shop, that going to that going to howse his 46 ford.

Last edited by flamingbig10; 01-05-2009 at 02:05 AM.
flamingbig10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:16 AM   #6
SBTork
Garage wrench

company christmas party on Saturday night, I had a very good time and enjoyed some adult beverages. Sunday was used to de-ice the driveway and rest as intended.

90 V1500 GMC Suburban 350/700R4/NP241.....
01 Saturn SL1 stock DD.....
SBTork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:04 AM   #7
Ds86C10
2WD 4 Life

had to dust off the c10 bringing it back to being my daily driver after my van started to make some motor noise... YAY! SALT ROADS!!! went to fix the frame around the steering box and couldnt due to rain that instantly froze to my windshield thanks to the fact that i havent fixed the defroster... drove 2 miles with my head out the window in the freezing rain... yea wont be doing that again
1978 king cobra

Last edited by Ds86C10; 01-05-2009 at 07:04 AM. Reason: ya know.. stuff missing ;)
Ds86C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:25 AM   #8
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Picked up a '69 swb fleetside Custom/10 pickup Friday.
It's a "mostly original" paint truck. 292/powerglide, non A/C, solid red with red interior. Needs alot of clean up and detail work. I will post pics as soon as I change the nasty "roller" wheels and tires it came with.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:36 AM   #9
Conundrum

My dad and I tried to see if we could get my 74 GMC to start, didn't get it to yet but it shows promise. Then we took the bed off and the 12volt hydraulic lift off.

97 GMC reg cab short bed, 4.3V6 / 5spd, daily driver
220,000 miles, all stock for now
Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:56 AM   #10
PhilaTruck
Right on the line, baby!

New power booster, new speedo cable, "clean-up rattle can job" on the driver side firewall. Dropped off 1800 lbs of clean fill and picked up 1200 lbs of sand for my neighbor. Fixed a leaky threshhold to my roof (brickwork, roofing and "carpentry"). Finished just in time for the rain.

Time to go back to work and rest.

Click and scroll down for site vendors!

Subscribe here!
PhilaTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:10 AM   #11
tgh117
Crazy

Well finally since the holiday chaos is over, I was actually able to get some truck work done. I got the bed back to my house, and on the truck on New Years eve, then ever since it has been spent just putting various parts back on it, rear bumper, hitch, drip rails, tail lights, etc. I also managed to start un-decorating my house and sold my plow. That money will fund the rest of the parts needed for the motor build.

Here is a pic to show the progress.
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2009, 09:10 AM   #12
willis0107
67lwb

Picked up my 83 Blazer then rebuilt the entire front suspension on the 87 R-10 put on new exhaust, fixed the speedometer, remounted the rear bumper (pulled it off trying to move a frame)

then for the honey do list.

cut firewood
returned extra lumber to Lowes
bought paint to paint the kitchen, living room, and hallway

Honestly I have been busy
willis0107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:45 AM   #13
sqrbdy

Did a little work on my 88 K5 2wd project.
  • gutted the interior
  • drove to Dallas to buy new seats
  • located a 12 bolt rear end
  • purchased a polished TPI setup

This weekend I plan on removing the front clip, doors, and tailgate. After that is done, I'll pull the body off and begin the 2wd transformation.

sqrbdy myspace
sqrbdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:38 AM   #14
Dads79GMC

Two weeks of leave at home and finally back to work for a breather

Picked up an outstanding driver side door for $150 (beautiful).

Completely dissassembled the bed to in order to mediablast the floor and work on the bed sides.

Dads 79 GMC Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=642929

1978 Silverado Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=756016
Dads79GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:54 AM   #15
rfmaster

I guess I was not the only one with a two weeks worth of 'forced' vacation. Two weeks went by in blur, even though I was down with a bad cold early on, but I managed a major retrofit over the weekend:
1) Replaced original non tilt steering column with a rebuilt tilt unit.
2) Replaced non functioning heater controls, but now I have to rebuild frozen heater box doors!
3) Removed original non tach cluster and installed rebuilt OE tach cluster. Tach works great!
4) R&R new dash pad.

Things to do:
1) Need new steering wheel and horn spring kit.
2) Need to replace headlight switch, old one almost gone as it does not dim instrument cluster!
3) Water pump replacement (slow leak, loosing coolant)
4) Engine mounts (rubber pads - OE is over 35 years old) replacement.
5) Need cleanup wire mess left over from PO under dash.

6) Drive my truck before gas prices zoom back up!

//RF

1975 Chevrolet C20 longbed
350/700R4! with 3inch body lift
Dual Flowmasters Super 40's!
TBI retrofit completed (2007-07-29)
New 383CID (+030) 08-304-8 9.5:1CR x36,005 (2012-12-17)
rfmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:34 PM   #16
WELD4DAYS

I dropped both tanks on my 77 GMC.All the rubber lines were dry rotted and leaking.I replaced all lines and cleaned the selector valve.I also fixed the grounds on the sending units.Now all leaks are fixed,my valve switches tanks like its supposed to, and my fuel gauge finally works after 3 years.It was a pain in the butt to do but it was well worth it.Now to the transmisson leaks.
WELD4DAYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:09 PM   #17
84 400
Sb 400 club

Did nothing on the 84......

Bought a clean stepside bed with new step and tow umper for 200 last night.

Also picked up a pass side front fender for 25 locally (brand new after market)
1980 Corvette L-48 4 speed
1992 Mustang GT built 5.0 5 speed

1985 C10 LWB Sold
1982 K10 SWB plow truck Parted out
1986 D30 M1028 fire brush truck Parted out
84 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:48 PM   #18
chevyrestoguy

Installed a new pre-hung solid door between the kitchen and the garage, and it turned out awesome. Installed the case moulding and wood-putty'd all the seams and nail holes, and will prime it tonight. I put extra weatherstrip on the garage side and absolutely no cold air gets into the house now.

Fixed a bunch of little stuff outside (fence, yard, etc).

Went to the local self-service yard and picked up a pair of cab corner speaker brackets out of an '83, plus an eyebrow moulding out of the same truck for $10.75. Went with a buddy who's building a lo-buck '49 5-window and we were looking for a driveshaft but found nothing. We both learned that 99% of the cars in the yard have bent driveshafts because the legs of the forklift tweaks them when they get carried out into the yard.
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:53 PM   #19
72 CustomCamper
huh ???

I changed wheels and tires on my Blazer today. Went from 35-12.5's to 32-11.5's. Next on the agenda is remove the body lift...

Chuck

"I am a bomb technician. If you see me running try to keep up!"
72 CustomCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:56 PM   #20
Cherub

Lets see over the holiday week off. I did a 6, 6 drop, dropped gas tank and installed new pump and sending unit, installed transmission mount, painted rear frame, sent driveshaft off for reworking but when i Tried to install driveshaft it didnt go in. I measured it wrong i guess. Spent about 2hrs stareing at the tangled web of engine harness LOL.

Last edited by Cherub; 01-05-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Cherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:14 PM   #21
2bits

Installed a Blazer tank in my Stepside, changed the oil.
'74 Monte Carlo
'47 Teardrop Trailer

East Texas Classics Local Club
2bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:50 PM   #22
jdmaffeo

I haven't posted much in a while because my truck has been at the paint shop for the last 6 months. They finally had enough motivation from me and got it finished. The cool thing is that they are letting me use their shop (heat, tools, lights, and knowledge) to put it back together. I have been spending some late nights up there trying to finish it up. I just lack putting the bed wood back in and finishing the one piece window kit and doors. The one piece window kit has been eating my lunch along with all of the body shop guys. Some of these guys have more experience than I am old and still not much luck. I will post some pictures as soon as i get it out of the shop and cleaned up. I might start a build thread as this has been a project since 2005 and it is almost there!!! Ok fine...here are a couple of teasers...I'm sure that a few of you will find some of the things done to it, but not all!
Attached Images