The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-06-2009, 04:57 PM   #1
flynbrian

Thumbs down Help! My steering is loose and I cant budge the box!

I have a 70' C-10 with manual everything...I dont mind it except the brakes are a little lacking.

Anyway the steering is really loose...I mean like half a wheel turn to get the truck to correct at times. I am told (Many years ago) that the locknut and screw on the box are for adjustment and tightening it up. I have loosened up the nut but I can't get the center screw to budge...Its the one you use the large straight-blade screwdriver. Does this mean its adjusted all the way in? I even put a wrench on the screwdriver and tried lightly to force it to move...Didnt seem to budge and I didn't want to strip out the slot, So I been driving like this but its not pleasant.

Can I replace the steering box with one off any Chevy truck? Or are the boxes year style specific?

Also, there is several bolts on the plate that hold the lock-nut and screw...Can I just unbolt the whole plate and try to see whats going on?

Help would be much appreciated, Thanks -Brian
flynbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:03 PM   #2
flynbrian

Re: Help! My steering is loose and I cant budge the box!

I also already checked the rag joint and it looks new. I dont see any movement of any component when a buddy spins the wheel back and forth...just the shaft spinning left & right...The pitman stays steady.

I have a short water pump and dont really feel like converting it to power anytime soon...I just want it to drive good without constantly sawing the wheel like crazy.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:06 PM   #3
Prostreet 72
Prostreet 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynbrian View Post
I have a 70' C-10 with manual everything...I dont mind it except the brakes are a little lacking.

Anyway the steering is really loose...I mean like half a wheel turn to get the truck to correct at times. I am told (Many years ago) that the locknut and screw on the box are for adjustment and tightening it up. I have loosened up the nut but I can't get the center screw to budge...Its the one you use the large straight-blade screwdriver. Does this mean its adjusted all the way in? I even put a wrench on the screwdriver and tried lightly to force it to move...Didnt seem to budge and I didn't want to strip out the slot, So I been driving like this but its not pleasant.

Can I replace the steering box with one off any Chevy truck? Or are the boxes year style specific?

Also, there is several bolts on the plate that hold the lock-nut and screw...Can I just unbolt the whole plate and try to see whats going on?

If it is adjusted all the way in, the screw should just about be at the bottom of the lock nut. Did you try liquid wrench for a few days and then a torch? Sometimes that will loosen up a frozen fastener.

As far as interchangability, I am not sure. I replaced mine with another 72 box. Their not to hard to find.

Good Luck!
Prostreet 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:30 PM   #4
flynbrian

No I didn't try any lube...It didn't really seem rusty at all and the locknut came apart just fine. The threaded portion with the slot was about 1/4"-3/8" above the top surface of the locknut. So it looks to have plenty of room to screw in.

How much is a new manual box? I dont see many of these trucks around here for parts anymore. I would be half afraid that a junkyard box would be crap.

If I put a Big'Honkin screwdriver in there with a wrench on it for leverage will I possibly hurt anything in the box, Even if I try to crank it out instead of in first?
Old 01-06-2009, 05:55 PM   #5
kcjones
I wish I was a cowboy

2wd and 4wd are different, of course, and manual and power boxes also different, of course. 67's are different from 68-70 manual, and there might even be a difference between 1/2 and 3/4T. I'd get a 70 C10 manual box, can't you get them remaned with a core?

Met list: Cyclone,Wilson,TranzAm,extd56,hotrodhomi,mnky30,Rokcrln,Brad,JerryJones(well, his truck anyway).
kcjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:08 PM   #6
flynbrian

Dont know, I guess its time to make some calls. I can't afford to spend much. Just bought a windshield & seal for it today.

Thats a whole'nother can of worms...They refused to put in the glass because the rust in the roof of my truck....(Its been doctored up) They said the truck was "compramised" and their company policy is to not put glass in....(Safelite auto glass)

I went off on a yelling match "Just put the F****** glass in the D*** truck!!! Then they told me some sad story about a lady getting hit by one of these trucks they put glass in and the windshield flew out and killed her...Hence the company policy.

Its BS really...There's about 6" of windowframe that is rough but still in fine service. Its been filled on the inside with 'Glass and should be fine. So I paid for my glass and stormed out of there. I'll put it in as soon as my new seal shows up from LMC.

They lost my business forever. I forgot to mention they gave me one price over the phone and another when I showed up...Then the big kicker at the end was even though the price went up after I showed up for my appointment (In the sleet, Ice & rain) They said one of the factors for not putting in the new glass was that they didn't have a new seal....AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH

So I paid $120 for a new tinted windshield...I guess I saved on the shipping from LMC?
Old 01-06-2009, 07:16 PM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynbrian View Post

If you are not 100% sure what you are doing do not attempt to adjust the lash in your steering box yourself. If you get it too tight, when you turn a corner it can lock up and you won't be able to straighten it out. Ask me how I know..... Oh well, it wasn't a very good fence anyway.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:56 PM   #8
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

the manual steering gear boxesare normally worn by now. The adjustment isn't really an adjustment, it is just the lash between the two gears in the box. Id does tend to tighten it up, but not as much as what you probably need. your best bet is to call a steering gear box reamn company, or look into a parts house replacement.
If you wanted to update to power steering, then there are a LOT of good units in the wrecking yards for the picking. (brackets and pump and pullies are involved with this too though obviously)
On a side note, welcome to the board from a fellow ohio member.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:23 PM   #9
berencam

Are you sure the play you are experiencing not in the linkage as opposed to the box. Mine was extremely loose also, however changing the tie rod ends, idler arm and pitman are remedied it.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:35 AM   #10
OhioDan

Check with Affordable Auto, on Rt.725 off of Rt.4, not to far from Germantown. He used to have a boat load of old trucks? Just a suggestion.

LIFE AIN'T EASY WHEN YER FAT AND GREASY!
GMC= Got More Class!
1970 GMC LWB, Fleetside, 350/4spd, Flowmaster "40's", 2002 GMC 16" Rallies, cowl hood,and added a bunch of options that weren't there when I started.

Last edited by OhioDan; 01-07-2009 at 05:36 AM.
OhioDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:28 AM   #11
soba_03

I haven't been on here in a while but just yesterday on he way home from work I jumped on it to pass some idiot on a cell phone doing 30 from a stop light.

Well when the rear end quit spinning, and I slowed it back down. Now it seems like I have about 2"s of slop in my steering wheel. I checked power steering fluid and topped it off. However still have the freeplay. also my steering wheel is now no longer centered by almost 1/4 of a wheel. Rag joint looks good and I don't see any obvious defects.

Any thoughts gear box maybe?
Oh it's a 68 c10 with power steering.

Not attempting to hijack thread thought that it would go along with what already been ask.

Thanks..
soba_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:14 AM   #12
kcjones
I wish I was a cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by soba_03 View Post
....Rag joint looks good and I don't see any obvious defects.

Any thoughts gear box maybe?
Oh it's a 68 c10 with power steering.....
Flynbrian had the right test - easy way to find the problem is to get help. Have one person in the cab move the wheel back and forth, the other person watching the column/shaft, rag joint, steering box, idler/pitman and tie rods. If it happened quickly, it's almost certainly not tie rod ends, unless one broke. Or the idler arm has completely failed (I'm going with steering box here). There is a LOT of pressure being applied to a power steering box on a daily basis, and the bearings and gear teeth on the inside of the box do wear out. Is it the original steering box, do you think? 40 years of turning corners is a long time...

Met list: Cyclone,Wilson,TranzAm,extd56,hotrodhomi,mnky30,Rokcrln,Brad,JerryJones(well, his truck anyway).
kcjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:49 AM   #13
WorkinLonghorn

Soba_03 says;
Quote:
However still have the freeplay. also my steering wheel is now no longer centered by almost 1/4 of a wheel. Rag joint looks good and I don't see any obvious defects.
If this happened suddenly the way you descibe it, I wouldbn't drive that truck one block until I got under there and located the problem. Wear is normal but it is slow and gradual. If you all of a sudden had a steering wheel off center and lots of slop you need to check it out NOW!!!.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:41 PM   #14
harlyworkr

I have a good 69 manual steering gear yours' for the asking free to get your truck safe.
harlyworkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:09 PM   #15
soba_03

Ok, I filed the power steering and carefully drove the truck. ran power steering to both stops while at a stop and seemed to help the freeplay situation about 90% still have some freeplay. But Nothing as radical as when it first happened.
Truck tracks straight though no pulls or wobbles straight or in turns. I TOO was thinking maybe a steering box. Checked power steering box/pump and belt thinking maybe the extra R's when I hopped on it caused something to shake loose. belt, pump mount, and box are all tight.

OK IF it was a suspension related component, would I not see or feel something in the drivability? Lets say it's a Box, it is normal to self correct it's self with only obvious problem to be an off center steering wheel?

I was thinking that the fact that I had the A$$ end spining when i wen arounf the guy that might of had something to do with it. Anyone care to speculate on this. I just replaced the steering column in October, because of a locked up bearing. Rag joint and everything were good as new.

Thanks for all of the advice.

Last edited by soba_03; 01-07-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:18 PM   #16
harlyworkr

Oh WELL
But the offer is still good if you want to go back to manual.
harlyworkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:26 PM   #17
68K20 x Drill

2 different posters...
Soba, i'd look at the rearend real hard, is there anything back there may not be tight?
if your axle goes crosswise in the truck, you have to countersteer to keep it straght, and nothing in the steering should change suddenly by you being on the gas...maybe if the alignment shims fellout of the upper control arm.

Flynbrian if you find an OLD Chilton manual for American trucks, there are exact proceedures for rebuilding the steering box, and adjustment starts with the giant nut at the back of the box.

84 Chevrolet Suburban K20 6.2 Banks turbo TH400/NP208 Now with G80

68 GMC C20 Parts? Truck

And a few cars
68K20 x Drill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:30 PM   #18
WorkinLonghorn

OOps, sort of a two headed thread here. Dumb post deleted!
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:22 AM   #19
soba_03

Sorry folks I didn't mean to muddy the waters with my post... It just seems to fit with the other steering topic.. I'll wait till we get his manual box problem Squared away and repost, it will be the weekend before I get some time to crawl up under mine.

Thanks..
Old 01-08-2009, 10:44 AM   #20
flynbrian

OK, I know where that yard is up near Germantown...Only 15 minutes from my house.

Harlyworkr? Will the box fit my 70? If you were talkin to me about the box offer let me know your info via private message and I can send you a check or a paypal to pay for shipping if you let me know how much. Thanks!

Also, I'd like to find a chiltons truck manual...With steering box info...I wouldn't mind using mine as a test unit to try and rebuild one myself-With a manuals help of course.
Heck I rebuild engines and turbo's there's no reason I cant rebuild a box eventually.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:11 PM   #21
oldgold70c10
Who's got steelies?

LMC sells parts to rebuild the manual box. You may also be able to find a place locally that does too. The best instructions I've seen for rebuilding the steering gear is in the factory chassis overhaul manual. Go to http://www.factoryautomanuals.com/ and you can probably find one for your truck. I bought a overhaul manual for '69 trucks from a board member a year or so ago. To do that will require becoming a site supporter, which is a good deal too.
1970 C20 Suburban 350/700R4 4.10 gearing green & white
1978 Big 10 Silverado 350/th350, working ac, 2 tone blue-My summer daily driver
1983 GMC 1500 Sierra 305/SM465 2.73 rear end

How to add a trip odometer to your 67-72 stock speedometer

How to rebuild your Q-Jet

My Truck Page
My Youtube Channel
oldgold70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:07 PM   #22
Stock72c10
classic=of recognized value

Thanks for the idea, I tightened mine today and it made a world of difference. I used to have ~4" of play, now there is barely any! Hope you can get yours broke loose. Even after tightening mine is still above the tightener nut.
Stock72c10 is offline   Reply With Quote