The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2009, 10:15 PM   #1
DRobb's_85

moaning noise at idle

On my way home from work today at a stoplight I noticed what sounds like a moaning noise at idle. Its only noticable at idle, it dissappears as soon as you take off but that could just be the exhaust drowning it out. Its kind of loud, especially with the radio off. When I got home and shut her off I noticed the noise continues for a few seconds after it is off. Any ideas? Fan motor maybe? This is on an 85 k10 with 350.
DRobb's_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:23 PM   #2
jimmy norman
alleyesonme

Re: moaning noise at idle

could be may things how about bearings in water pump . is the fan moving very fast or kinda slow
jimmy norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:03 AM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

vacuum leak?

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:18 AM   #4
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Sorry guys but I'm laughing my butt off right now. Read Robb's post again. Bob, I never seen a vacuum leak or a fan\waterpump that was still spinning after the motor was shut off. Yup, I'm a smart a%$. Robb is probably right about the noise being the heater\A\C blower motor. Robb, try running some errands with the blower motor unpluged and see if the noise is still there. If it goes away, make one of those errands a stop at NAPA. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:37 AM   #5
DRobb's_85

lmao I knew you guys would have something to say about that. Anyways, the water pump is brand new, and I never ran the a/c or heat yesterday when it was doing it. But it definatly keeps going for a few seconds after its shut off. Some sort of pump or the fan I guess. I hope it is nothing major as this is my daily driver and I dont have much time to work on it.
DRobb's_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:43 AM   #6
panhandler62
Java Mechanic

My car makes a moaning noise at idle, but that's mostly me grouching about having to go to work.

A noise like that could be from an AC compressor or an air pump.
68 C20 Fleetside -- RIP
Decorating the whole town up at a cost of $27 ....
panhandler62 is offline   Reply With Quote