The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
g.g.63

63 c10 inline-6 wiring

1.)does the black wire coming off of my distributor go to the negative on the coil?
2.) some guy mounted a rectangle bar shaped something on the side of my coil--it has 2 posts-- one is marked with a 2 and is connected to a green wire going into my harness that I believe used to be wired directly onto the + or - side of coil??? anyway
--if the black wire from dist. does go to - coil, & the green wire is connected to the 2 terminal on that rectangle bar thing then i have an open + terminal on coil and an open terminal on the rectangle bar thing with no wires connected to them. THIS DOESNT SEEM RIGHT

im not letting any1 else under my hood and i am now trying to put things back together.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Initially, A wire fizzle-fried under the dash one day while I was driving and I had to put a jumper wire from coil to battery for a while to start it and drive it.
I was always careful to disconnect it from the battery, sometimes truck would start without it , sometimes the key would turn it off without disconecting it either.... but for the most part, I had to use the jumper wire.
I STILL CANNOT FIGURE OUT WHICH WIRE IT WAS THAT FIZZLE FRIED or else i would have replaced it by now. The smoking wire was under the dash by my clutch foot and may or may not have been connected to the fuse panel (which is also located by my clutch foot) this wire may also have been bolted to the fire wall on one end...but ive tried many combos and I just dont know which wire it was.

new carb, new dist, new starter , new battery how do i wire these properly so i dont kill my truck or battery anymore

I have an alternator and a regulator
I have grounded EVERYTHING i can think of!!

thank you for your knowledge and time
gena
g.g.63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:07 PM   #2
ol Curt

Re: 63 c10 inline-6 wiring

Are you sure the coil wasn't bad and he just mounted another coil there? Some of them were rectangular\square in shape. Got any pics?
ol Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:40 PM   #3
slepysal

Most likely the bar is a ballast resistor, is it a white ceramic looking thing? The grean wire should go to it and then a wire fron it to the (+) on the coil. Do you have points in it still ? Like OlCurt said post a pic

"Over, Around or through it... "
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:50 PM   #4
slepysal

well?? Did you fix it?

"Over, Around or through it... "
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote