The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2009, 02:21 AM   #1
asphaltburner

FRANKENTRUCK gets rims!

Yo! Y'all!
cochino12 helped me alot by finding, negotiating a discounted price, deciding he needed 18" rims, and PM'ing me with the sellers link, so that I could buy these otherwise unobtainable wheels (they're typically WAY outta MY price range!),...17x8 Foose Spanks:

Name:  Foose Spank.jpeg
Views: 1311
Size:  37.1 KB

WOW!
Checked on rubber availability, OK'ed the purchase with the old lady (she was impressed with the good deal!), and arranged purchase this Sunday (she and I will drive 150 miles to the Springs to go get 'em!).
I'll have to decide what to do with the new 245/75/16 rubber that's on FRANKENTRUCKs' stock rims,...or store the Spanks for awhile,...but FRANKENTRUCK will sport them in the future with similarly sized Peerless rubber,...ideal for Colorado rock and snow conditions.
I love the heavy five spoke appearance and background detail! They'll be perfect for the FRANKENTRUCK!
Thanks, cochino12!
He's my "near neighbor" in Denver!
Todd.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:40 AM   #2
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

Re: FRANKENTRUCK gets rims!

i loved the steelies on her, frankentruck dont need bling, just needs bigger bolts haha. But, none the less, a good looking rim, what size tires are you gonna run? please tell me something 33+, becuase lopros on a 3/4 4x4 just isnt gonna cut it.

My name tag says Ryan

KansasTwister On other forums
Walts_restoration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:59 AM   #3
asphaltburner

Yo! Walts!
No way am I gonna lower FRANKENTRUCK! Biggest sidewalls I can get, width in the 8-9" range. Any bigger and they float in the snow, and bog in the rocks.
The old steelies are not all straight, and two don't hold air pressure over along period.
God! I hope these wheels aren't classified as "BLING"! I just like the heavy five spoke! FRANKENTRUCK will never be low, or bling! It's 3/4 ton 4x4!
Hell, the "bling" may have to just deal with the 3/4 ton 4x4!!
Todd.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:01 AM   #4
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

You have hubs on the front wheels right? or not? if so you may have to fab something to clear the center caps.

My name tag says Ryan

Old 01-09-2009, 10:47 AM   #5
asphaltburner

Yo! Walts!
Like I said, the "bling" will have to deal with the 3/4 ton 4x4,...hee, hee!
I'll just run no caps up front.
Might have to polish up my Warn hubs a bit though!

Name:  080308 008 (Medium) (Custom).jpg
Views: 816
Size:  61.9 KB

Todd.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:15 AM   #6
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Todd: This is how I delt with the center hub issue putting factory slots on. You front axel is heavier than 3/4 ton I think. Your hubs bolt on to the axel then the warn hub screws to the inner hub. Anyway, I took the factory hub caps and bored out the centers with a 3.5" hole saw mounted in a drill press and it worked like a charm. Factory covers are plastic on mine. If they were metal I would need a different approach. Haven't a clue what yours are. Wish I had a better picture, but you'll get the idea.Jim
Attached Images

1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:06 PM   #7
mitch1965

Those will look great! My old K20 looks good with the DC1's, so Frankentruck will look good with some shine too. Definitely polish up the hubs.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:58 PM   #8
willett
Another Day, Another Dollar

you should be able to lathe out the center caps without much difficulty

"its hip to be square"
willett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:21 PM   #9
asphaltburner

Yo! Does anybody know if these, and their caps, will clear the hubs of my full-floating rear axle? Todd.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:00 PM   #10
cochino12
It followed me home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltburner View Post
Yo! Does anybody know if these, and their caps, will clear the hubs of my full-floating rear axle? Todd.
I think the rears will be fine

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
cochino12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:09 PM   #11
asphaltburner

Yo! Thanks AGAIN cochino12!
Called "my people" in tires in Greeley (Jesse - store owner) and he's calling the factory warehouse right now to see if they know for sure. Jesse sells the Foose wheels, and we know each other well enough that he's doing this favor for me. I'll post with the answer. I'm going to mhtwheels.com now to check their site.
Sure would like to know before I drive 150 miles one way and own a set of them! Todd.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:29 PM   #12
asphaltburner

Yo! Still checking,...Dealers in CA don't know the answer. Can't find the answer on mhtwheels.com, especially since these wheels are discontinued.
I have hub diameter measurements, lug hole to lug hole measurements, and across the lug hole pattern measurements for the fellow in the Springs that's selling the wheels. I'll have him check these for sure for lug hole pattern and center hole diameter. Todd.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:39 PM   #13
84 400
Sb 400 club

Todd,
those will look good on your truck. Nice classic 5 spoke with a new twist. I like them. You truck already has 4x4 form of bling with that twin stick np205!!! I also agree with you on the tire choice. Wide meats might look good but don't function so well in the snow .
1980 Corvette L-48 4 speed
1992 Mustang GT built 5.0 5 speed

1985 C10 LWB Sold
1982 K10 SWB plow truck Parted out
1986 D30 M1028 fire brush truck Parted out
84 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:23 PM   #14
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

lol, i got factory 16s on my truck, 16x5, 5x5 bolt pattern, try finding a set of those, i have two sets of 5 rims. riveted together, used from 71+ special order, mainly fleet trucks. tall and skinny.

My name tag says Ryan

Old 01-09-2009, 11:58 PM   #15
asphaltburner

Yo! Bros!
That's why I chose the 245x75x16 rubber origonally.
Been 4x4'ing since about 1970 when I first learned to drive,...all in Colorado. The best rock and snow tires are about 8" in width. They don't float in snow, and move well through the rock trails. Wide meats are for sand and mud, with lugs for traction in those environments.
I'll be the first to admit that I love WIDE meats on the rears of my musclecars, but they're for traction (lower pressures too, for launch!) on asphalt.
I'm just an "old school" dude in most respects.
Geeze, I also crawl in 4x4, so slow that I can get out, check the trail in front of me, and get back in with the truck still moving! I get to see alot of scenery at that speed too,...and I don't tear up the trail!
Sure hope I can get these wheels,...I'll be checking measurements with the seller and then cross my fingers! Sure not getting any answers fast.
Todd.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:36 AM   #16
Justins76
OutOfMyMind & I'llNeverKnowWhy

How well priced are Peerless tires? How do you like them when non-offroading?
1992 Pontiac Firebird T-Top 5.0L TBI 700R4
My cardomain page

I don't like to save, it's more fun to spend!!

Last edited by Justins76; 01-10-2009 at 12:36 AM.
Justins76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:02 AM   #17
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Man, I don’t know about those wheels Todd. As long as you like them is all that matters. Some nice black steel Mountain Crawlers or Rock Crawler wheels might look more at home on that truck. And the steel wheels are more trail friendly and economical too.

I am ditching the blingy aluminum wheels on mine in favor of steelies on my next Swamper purchase. I have seen too many aluminum wheels break on the trail. At least with steel wheels you can beat them back into shape to hold air after you smack a rock rather than fill up your knap sack with aluminum wheel shrapnel as you are bending over to bolt on your spare tire (probably mounted to a steel wheel) to get you back home.

I like these

DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:09 AM   #18
project 67 sub
Account Suspended

same here. i think something along those lines would look better^^^^
project 67 sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:20 AM   #19
asphaltburner

Yo! DirtyLarry and project 67 sub!
Yeah,...but I'm REALLY old school and just can't do black wheels. I sure think those would look great on someone elses' truck, but I gotta have silver.
I'm hoping that the huge spoke design will make them quite strong. I intend on running tall sidewall tires to keep them up out of the rocks, and I crawl, not rampage, when four wheeling, so I'm pretty good to my truck, tires and wheels.
I really don't like the look of most of the new wheels that I've seen, and have Cragar SS mags on my '68 Mustang, Outlaw II's on my Camaro, put Keystone Classics on a '66 Mustang I built and sold, and used to have turbine alloys on a '77 Landcruiser way back when. I'm partial to the silver wheels, and REALLY like the five spoke design. My '76 Camaro's wheels were the first time I decided to go with the solid wheel with rivets and round openings, and they are beautiful!
I'd intended FRANKENTRUCK to have aftermarket wheels, and had not seen ANYTHING I liked until cochino12 posted about these. Most that posted in response complained about how "bulky" the spoke design is (I like the "bulkiness",...which equals strength!). I'll probably not be able to use the caps, due to my Warn hubs in front, and full-floating axle hubs in the rear, but this price is one third of what these wheels sell for. That will make the wheels look more like they belong, and when FRANKENTRUCK is painted, the overall appearance will be quite nice, with the light green metallic base coat/clear coat and alloy wheels.
My old school preferences lead me to more chrome on my vehicles than most like anymore, and the truck'll not have any side chrome strips, so the wheels will add the otherwise missing side trim.
Still have some time to mull it over before Sunday, and all the measurements must be verified first, so the whole thing could fall through, but I haven't seen other wheels that tickle my fancy yet, and the stock white steels leak at the bead a little, and have been bent ever so slightly too. I also can't see FRANKENTRUCK with white steel wagon-wheel spoke rims.
I really appreciate all of you helping to guide me,...makes me feel like you really want FRANKENTRUCK to have the best appearance and function possible. Nice to know that you all like it enough to be concerned and involved!!
Thanks, Todd.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:32 AM   #20
asphaltburner

Yo! Justins76!
I'll put it this way,...I own nine cars and trucks and ALL of them have Peerless tires! From my wifes' '04 Turbo Forester, to my '68 Mustang,...and the greater number of them are on the highway the majority of the time.
Great prices, wear, and roadability. Road hazard waranty. Been buying Peerless since about 1985. Definitely check them out! I think you'll be pleased. Todd.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:44 AM   #21
project 67 sub
Account Suspended

if you like those wheels at all they sell them in chrome. but whatever way you decide to go i wish you best of luck with your truck.
project 67 sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:45 AM   #22
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

todd, i really like the design of the wheels your after, i was just cutting you jokes because your truck would look perfect with steelies and a dog dishs in my oppinion, but thats my taste. Those wheels will look good on your truck.

So your thinking it will fit? Im also against white wagon wheels, the starp edges of the triangles make them weaker, thats why the round opening steelies are better (learned that when buying wheels for my lawnmower trailer). The sharper edges are more prone to crack. Those 5 spokes will look killer on your frankentruck.

My name tag says Ryan

Last edited by Walts_restoration; 01-10-2009 at 03:45 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:04 AM   #23
asphaltburner

Yo! Again Thanks, dudes! And project 67 sub, I can't afford those friggin wheels AT ALL,...this set just happens to be going for $500 which is one third of what they would normally sell for!! Otherwise I'd NEVER be buying this kinda wheel! My price range is about $100 a wheel or so!
Walts,...hell I like ya jokin' with me,...I consider you to be my bud! The steels would be OK if they were in perfect shape, but they need to be replaced, and I need bigger circumference tires to reduce my highway speed rpm with the 4.11:1 gears.
I like the chrome-like appearance of these wheels and especially that heavy spoke design (but if they were any more than $500/4, I'd not be able to get them!).
Other than the cap being able to fit, I think they'll work. I'll call the fellow tomorrow and have him do some measuring. If all works out, I'll have them Sunday afternoon. Sure hate to spend a 47 degree day driving and not working on my trucks/cars/house, etc,...though!
And "KILLER" is just what FRANKENTRUCK should be,...(sorry, that's supposed to be a joke!). Thanks, dudes! Todd.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:37 PM   #24
asphaltburner

Yo! Y'all!
Called the dude in Colorado Springs this AM and he has measurements. The centerhole is oversized to accomodate any hub and the cap. In addition, the wheels are 8x6.5" pattern,...guess I've got a roadtrip planned for tomorrow!
Thanks again for everyone's help. I'll be sure to post a pic WHENEVER I get rubber on these new rims and them on FRANKENTRUCK. Should be something to see!
Todd.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:30 PM   #25
dammitmitchell
the pollock

here's my two centavos!
get a wide wire the widest you can put on those rims so when you are messing around you dont scratch them!
a flush side wasll will bring what ever you have riiight up into those shiny rims..
and if you dont like them..
ill give you a hug or something in trade for them!
hahhaha
good steal dude

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=343538
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=386042
dammitmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote