The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2009, 11:12 AM   #1
70Custom10Nut

Cool relocating gas tank

has anyone out there put a Blazer/Sub tank in a LWB pick up? I want to do this, but after looking at clearances between the bed and frame, I see I'll have to cut into the bed for a filler neck, and fabricate a shield inside the bed box. What I want is to have the filler neck behind the wheelwell, something like the Suburban does. Does anyone know where I can get a filler door assembly with the hose set up? I know this can be done but I haven't had the time to really research this yet. I just got my truck out of mothballs, and I'm ready to get to work on her again. (I just returned to the states from being stationed in Europe for five years). Any kind of advise would be great. One other piece I need is the detent spring in my tilt steering column (broke it when I put in my new lever). My pride and joy (other woman as my wife calls her!) is a 70 Custom 10 (Med Olive w/white top) that I've upgraded with factory options (power steering, Pwr brakes, tilt wheel, factory Bucket seats, headliner) to the point that the only things missing are A/C and the vacuum gauge. I'll post some pix later
70Custom10Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:28 PM   #2
Hipper

Re: relocating gas tank

I have a suburban tank in my 71 GMC LWB , I ran the filler over to the pass side and into the bed behind the wheel so I dont have anything on the outside. But I have seen guys take the section out of a pickup bed with the fuel door and weld into the bed. Looks pretty good when blended in and painted. The ones I have seen used the round fuel doors off of 88 and up pickups.

71 GMC Long Bed, 454,factory everything, lowered, and shaved.
64 GMC Short Bed (great grandfathers truck)
65 Chevy 1 ton Dually a/c p/s p/b v8 auto
89 Jeep Cherokee 3" lift
79 MG Midget (My 7 year old vehicle)
29 Ford Model A Rat Rod (in the works)
86 pontiac fiero 2.5 manual18 year olds)
87 pontiac fiero SE 2.8 auto (18 year olds)
90 Mitsubishi eclipes turbo AWD (18 year olds)
69 BMW 1600 (wifes toy)
Hipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:13 PM   #3
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Another option on the filler is to put it behind the marker light.A member here did a great write up on it and it did require a small boxed area next to the rear stake pocket.IIRC the members name was Tennman and it may be posted on Wes's site.Here's a TTT and maybe someone can post a link.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:22 PM   #4
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
Another option on the filler is to put it behind the marker light.A member here did a great write up on it and it did require a small boxed area next to the rear stake pocket.IIRC the members name was Tennman and it may be posted on Wes's site.Here's a TTT and maybe someone can post a link.
This is WAY harder than it looks. I did it, and got the marker light hinged up really well, but it is almost impossible to get a filler neck in that small space, and if you have those large rubber boots at the gas station, you wont even be able to get the filler nozzle in there to fill the tank. It is a great idea, but to me, impractical. You also have to cut your bed floor, and your inner bedside.
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:10 PM   #5
weircc

i went with a tank from ricks hot rod shop and put the filler tube in the rear bed stake hole and used a pop up motor cycle gas tank cap flush mount.only had to remove one cross brace in the rear of the frame.
weircc is offline   Reply With Quote