The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-10-2009, 07:35 PM   #1
jmedero

body shop venting.... grgrgrgrgrgr!!!

Why is it no matter what body shop I end up working with its the same song and dance. You got a guy complaining that he is broke, not enough work, yada yada yada and I cant give him money to work on my truck. Whats the hang up. You have a guy saying he cant pay bills but you offer him money in his hand and help to do what you want done, and it goes un done. SO FRUSTRATED!!!! Do they take on oath when they open shop to f*$k with people as much as they can? Isn't some work better then none? I know it usually cost $450 a side... but if I got $200 and your broke and no work isn't that ok? Sorry just me venting. So what will happen is I will pick it up on Monday and do it my self.... I will pull out the welder, saw, and ziz wheel and bust a knuckle or two!! Long live DIY!!!

Ok I am done.
jmedero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:45 PM   #2
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Re: body shop venting.... grgrgrgrgrgr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmedero View Post
Why is it no matter what body shop I end up working with its the same song and dance. You got a guy complaining that he is broke, not enough work, yada yada yada and I cant give him money to work on my truck. Whats the hang up. You have a guy saying he cant pay bills but you offer him money in his hand and help to do what you want done, and it goes un done. SO FRUSTRATED!!!! Do they take on oath when they open shop to f*$k with people as much as they can? Isn't some work better then none? I know it usually cost $450 a side... but if I got $200 and your broke and no work isn't that ok? Sorry just me venting. So what will happen is I will pick it up on Monday and do it my self.... I will pull out the welder, saw, and ziz wheel and bust a knuckle or two!! Long live DIY!!!

Ok I am done.
Sorry for your frustration. I can't speak for anyone else, but I wish you were closer. I'd do the job. I do have one other cab other than my own that has to be done. There are good body guys out there that wouldn't drag their feet. The only thing standing in my way is my full time job.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:39 PM   #3
slepysal

man i hear you 3 years i took my car in to my "buddy's" shop . i just wanted my door hanndles and antenna holes filled in..... "dude I'll shave it all paint it black with ghost flames,bla bla bla"
still isnt done Never ever tell a body shop to take there time !!

"Over, Around or through it... "
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:11 PM   #4
jason65
Registerd User

Quote:

Ok I am done.
Man thats not cool. Sounds like they need a plexextame. That where they take a guy that has his head up his a$$ and install a piece of plexiglass on there stomach so they can see where they are going. I feel ya though. Mines going to the bodyshop this month or next and I want my paint done but I still want my truck parked in the garage each night.
jason65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:35 PM   #5
jmedero

Thanks Alan's classics.... I should have dropped my cab off to you when I was in Chatta TN last week. LOL. I have seen your work and like your style. I am sure I'll get over it. It is just when a client calls me to do a detail for them I jump all over it.. man that $$$. Diff strokes for diff folks...
jmedero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:47 AM   #6
TimE
Hey Y'all!!

Sorry to hear about your problems but the way you zipped through those front fender patches, it should work out fine for you. Those turned out great!! Good luck with it.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:51 AM   #7
Hickup pickup

Wow that sucks. I have a great driver quality paint shop, when they painted(color changed from yellow to blue) my wifes car they said i'd have it in a month, 3 weeks later we were putting the trim back on and went for a drive. Plus there were only 3 small flaws in the entire job and only I will ever see them!
Old 01-11-2009, 10:50 PM   #8
Oregoon
Roadside Rebuilder

I'm taking an auto body/welding-fab class this spring from the local Community College. I'm a competent mechanic, and I know a little about painting. Sheetmetal work, and welding are a different story.

As the saying goes, if you want it done right, do it yourself.
Oregoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:22 PM   #9
SCOTI

Quote:
....Do they take on oath when they open shop to f*$k with people as much as they can? Isn't some work better then none? I know it usually cost $450 a side... but if I got $200 and your broke and no work isn't that ok?
This is what I summarize from your statement: Some work @ less than 1/2 pay is better than no work @ full pay.

Although I sympathize w/your frustration to some degree & agree w/some of the other posters comments, this statement says more than the combined words. It's hard to give an honest days work for less than half an honest days pay. Would you go into work tomorrow @ half your pay received today? Even if you might go in to work, you wouldn't be applying yourself 100% & you'd be on the lookout for something better right away.

A professional/quality bodyman is rarely out of work or broke. Now if a shop bids a job & you're prepared to pay, but then they drag their feet getting anything done (still expecting to be paid) or take your money w/o doing anything . . .... that's frustrating.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 01-11-2009 at 11:22 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:13 AM   #10
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

All I can say is typical!
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Custom Camper "Dump Truck"
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Suburban "Big Green"
1969 Chevrolet C-50 Wedge Hauler "Leonidis"
1966 C-10 2x4 short fleet 327 4 speed "Race Truck"
1952 Plymouth Cranbrook "Rican" (my grandfathers)
1931 Ford Model A Coupe "Black Beauty"
1930 Ford Model A truck "Club Cab" 4x4

Rottenwood Garage and Speed Shop.....where everything must be racy!

It's not just a hobby..It's a LIFESTYLE!!!

Thanks for nothing Barrett-Jackson

You cant fix stupid or teach accountability!

Time wasters, looky Lous and tire kickers are everywhere!
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:44 AM   #11
leftcoast66

I think that there are good shops out there, and ones that do good work also. The problem is that they go out and do kickass work and so people want them to do their work so much since the others won't do work that the price for the good ones goes up and up cuz the others drag feet and don't do what they say or whatever the issue is.
leftcoast66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:26 PM   #12
Oregoon
Roadside Rebuilder

One of my closest friends in the world is an amazing bodyman, and I doubt he'd let me pay him much to do the work on my truck. For me, it's not just about getting it done; it's about learning something new, and not relying on anyone to do something for me.

Not meaning to be sanctimonious or preachy either. I learned everything about wrenching by myself--because of similar experiences with shady foot-dragging mechanics.

Nowadays, if it breaks, it stays broke until I fix it.

Last edited by Oregoon; 01-12-2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:05 PM   #13
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregoon View Post
One of my closest friends in the world is an amazing bodyman, and I doubt he'd let me pay him much to do the work on my truck. For me, it's not just about getting it done; it's about learning something new, and not relying on anyone to do something for me.

Not meaning to be sanctimonious or preachy either. I learned everything about wrenching by myself--because of similar experiences with shady foot-dragging mechanics.

Nowadays, if it breaks, it stays broke until I fix it.
That a great idea if you have a place to do the work. I tried doing it out in the driveway & it's a pain in the _ss. Between rain, wind, humidity, & time of day.... there never seems to be a good time or enough time.

Then let's compound the issue w/the neighbors complaints & dodging the city code enforcement for a junked vehicle. I tried explaining that a junked vehicle is a non-operable vehicle that does not have $$ spent toward its repair/rebuild & showed the guy receipts for purchases of parts & supplies. They don't care. They don't want a vehicle partially disassembled in a homeowners driveway (& I have a rear-entry/obstructed view driveway @ that).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 01-12-2009, 08:06 PM   #14
joe231

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
That a great idea if you have a place to do the work. I tried doing it out in the driveway & it's a pain in the _ss. Between rain, wind, humidity, & time of day.... there never seems to be a good time or enough time.

Then let's compound the issue w/the neighbors complaints & dodging the city code enforcement for a junked vehicle. I tried explaining that a junked vehicle is a non-operable vehicle that does not have $$ spent toward its repair/rebuild & showed the guy receipts for purchases of parts & supplies. They don't care. They don't want a vehicle partially disassembled in a homeowners driveway (& I have a rear-entry/obstructed view driveway @ that).
I'd keep that to myself if I were you
Old 01-12-2009, 08:57 PM   #15
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe231 View Post
I'd keep that to myself if I were you
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 01-12-2009, 10:13 PM   #16
Oregoon
Roadside Rebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post

Dang! That's a hard situation. I'm in a similar boat--I don't even have a driveway--and it rains here all the time. When I can't weasel some space from a friend, I improvise out in the street with a tarp and some raingear.

However, while I deal with Oregon's endless rain and occasional snow, I have nothing as grueling as Texas weather to worry about. I've been down your way before. 100 degrees and 100% humidity is freaking unreal. Spoon up some air to breathe...

And to further compound issues your neighbors and city have to infringe on your individual property rights. Few things piss me off as bad. It's your home. Who is anyone to tell you what to do with it?

My neighbors are passive-aggressive Portland progessives. Think Toyota Prius, organic garden, yoga, etc. While they probably hate my truck, and urban junkyard, they're quick to ask for help when something arises that good intentions alone can't solve. Some beligerent homeless guy wandered into the neighborhood and passed out in their backyard last summer, and they were all over my doorstep begging for help...

Oh well. I'm gonna go watch This Old House.

Keep at it Man! Best of luck!

Last edited by Oregoon; 01-12-2009 at 10:15 PM.