The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2009, 12:39 PM   #1
68c10owner

quick heater control question

I`m watching a complete unit on ebay that ends in 5 hours so I could use some help asap. My 84 heater controls are kinda stiff and hard to move left to right. My old 75 gmc was that way and the lever was actually broke off and stuff on heat. Is this a problem with the controls or is it the cables are sticking? Mine work but I`ve already broke the knob off of the fan but I can still move it and the heat/defrost lever is slightly bent and is hard to move. I guess what I need to know is am I looking at the right part to fix my problem? I`ll probably pick the unit up anyway if I can get it cheap enough but I want my controls to work like they did when these trucks were new. How do i accomplish that?
Old 01-11-2009, 12:56 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: quick heater control question

alot of the time its the cables and not the selector

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:44 PM   #3
68c10owner

Thanks. Thats what I was thinking but since my levers are a little bent anyway I might just try to pick it up anyway. I`ll try to lube my cables for now. thanks.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:17 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

if you have a non ac truck it may not be too hard to just unhook the cable from the one door and see if that frees it up some... on rare occasions there is a problem with the hinge on the door that causes the problem but like i said above most of the time its the cables

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:13 PM   #5
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Disconnect cables fom doors. Move controls, better? If not, lube cables. Now move doors. Do they move easy? If not, open up heater box, blow out and lube pivot points and rubber wipers on doors. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote