The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2009, 08:52 PM   #1
tdkosta

I sold my truck yesterday.

It was the truck that got me interested in the 67-72's. It had been at a friend's house for years and years just sitting there. My friend's dad had been fixing it up for her daughter to drive, but never got it finished all the way because she was killed by a drunk driver. Years later (2001) he sold his house to his son, I went to work for my friends dad, but the truck still sat at the old house. I asked about the truck and if he was looking to sell it. I loved the styling of the truck and it had straight metal and worn paint, but could get a kid to work and college. He agreed to sell it and get it up and running to pass emissions. I used it as my daily driver from 2001 until 2005. Then my wife and I finished our schooling, got higher paying jobs, and another vehicle. The truck got it's uses now and then. I had two kids and they loved to sit in the front seat and go for rides and places on the weekends. Then we had our third child and the truck became too small for me to fit the kids in to take places while mommy was at work, so the truck hardly ever got used. I found a 71 blazer that would fit all the kids in, so the truck got used for trips to the dump and to haul furniture. Then the HOA complained about the transmission oil leak so it got moved to my in laws house, my father in law has the 67-72 Chevy truck itch, so he didn't mind having another one at the house. I put the truck up for sale so it might be put to better use by someone but never got any serious offers, and the for sale sign faded and disintegrated.

Forward to this weekend. My wife and I went to Los Vegas. We had a good time until we got back from a show and our SUV had been broken in to. They stole our laptop, personal information, and my wife's bag of stuff she brought for the trip. We didn't get to bed until 3 in the morning and had to check out at 11 (thinking back, maybe getting to bed at 3AM at Vegas is early, but I'm not young anymore and had to drive back to Phoenix). 5 minutes after my wake up call my cell phone rings again with an number from Phoenix. Normally I don't answer calls unless I know who is calling, but for some reason I took the call. The guy on the line said he had been the area to look at a truck but passed on it, but saw mine as he was driving through the neighborhood, stopped and asked if it was for sale, they said it was gave him my number, he called me we negotiated a price and it's sold now. He loaded it up on his trailer, left cash and his contact info behind and drove home an hour and a half away on the other side of Phoenix.

So now my truck is gone and I'm looking back at how great it was. It got me everywhere without a problem and other than the gas expense it was cheap. The timing of the sale was an answer to a prayer that I didn't even get on my knees to say. I had given up on selling the truck and didn't want it to face the crusher or parted any more than I liked seeing it sit there. Now it has a another life and will help someone else as they see fit. I love these trucks!
tdkosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:25 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: I sold my truck yesterday.

-
Great story... well, except for your vehicle getting broken into. Maybe down the road you will be able to get another one. Either way you are welcome to stick around and talk old trucks with the rest of us old truck nuts..

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:53 PM   #3
72 Super

Glad it worked out for you, hopefully the truck will be going to a good home.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:32 PM   #4
lok-dawg

I hate thieves.
lok-dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:48 AM   #5
heavy71chevy

hey ..its the memory that counts for anything worth doing.but good luck to you buddy
heavy71chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:46 PM   #6
tdkosta

I'll definitely stick around. I've got a '71 blazer to fix up. The guy I sold it to didn't know about 67-72chevytrucks.com, so I encouraged him to check it out. He said that he had previously owned one, but sold it to get a sand rail, but now has the itch for another classic chevy to drive and fix up.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:44 PM   #7
rambler
MOVE OVER

congrats on selling it, sucks being robbed,especially during your vacation! hope your insurance covers the loss and you make sure they didn't get personal information and try to steal your idenity as well..
Old 01-13-2009, 01:53 PM   #8
GOPAPA

It's a down right shame what us hard working people have to put up with ..We do the work and some no good bum steals the profits from us .. Sorry that happened to you ..

Great story ending on your ol truck .. You have a lot of heart to keep it and wait until someone came along to keep it a rolling .. also your in laws deserves credit for letting you store it at their place until the deal was done to sell it ..
GOPAPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:00 PM   #9
tdkosta

Thanks for the comments

My in laws were great about letting the truck stay at their place.

I spent most of yesterday trying to guard myself against damages occurring from the stolen info on the laptop. The night of the theft I called my dad to have him log on to all of my financial accounts to change the passwords on them and also any email accounts I have.

What's worrying me now is that I had just bought Tax Cut and loaded my return information on it and it was ready to send in as soon as I got my W2's in to verify I had everything correct. It will really piss me off if my refund gets messed with this year.

I called the three credit agencies to put an alert on my credit, so hopefully if anyone goes to use my credit the agencies will call me first for my authorization. I've opened a new bank account and transfered nearly all my funds to it except for enough to cover legitimate pending transactions, and will be closing that account as soon as they clear. I had to then notify all the companies that charge directly to my account of the change. It's been a mess, but something I'll learn multiple lessons from.