The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2009, 09:56 PM   #1
chevymotocross

Bought a decent used bed for my 87

I bought a respectable solid 6.5 foot fleetside for my 87 locally for $300. The bed on my truck now, has a severely rotted cross brace, tail pan, and the entire left bedside is now rotting away in numerous sections. Instead of repairing my bed, I was better off buying this solid used one. I will post some pics tomarrow

I am going to have the bed prepped and painted by a respected local body man.

I'm not starting the project until spring (too cold in CT!), but I have some things to do while the bed is being prepped and painted.

I have had great luck with Zero Rust on rusted parts. I was going to sand down the frame while my bed is off and apply zero rust. Will zero rust work well on the frame or is there a better product out there for frames? I was also going to coat the entire underneath of the new bed with zero rust. Is this a good or bad idea?

I'm not going to have the body man spray the inside of the bed. I want to have it coated with bedlining material. A local company specializes in this. Their work comes out well but it is pricey at about $300. How are the DIY liners?

While the bed is off I will also be installing (FINALLY!) a lowering kit. I have decided on a 2.5/4 kit. I hope my 255/70/15 tires don't rub.

My truck is a dual tanker. The bed I bought is also a dual tank bed. My drivers side tank I replaced last year. The passenger tank leaks. I don't drive very far, I think one tank will be fine. I would replace the passenger tank but the supports are completely rotted, and if I am going to replace that tank I would also put in a new fuel pump. This just adds to more money towards the project for something I probably won't use often. Is there any harm of removing this tank will my bed is off, and keeping it off? A tank I guess could always be added later if need be, it would just have to be installed.

Last edited by chevymotocross; 01-17-2009 at 09:58 PM.
chevymotocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:11 PM   #2
willett
Another Day, Another Dollar

Re: Bought a decent used bed for my 87

are you talking a new fuel pump, or a sender?

there is no pump in the tank of the square bodies

if you do ditch the second tank you should ditch your switch, if you accidently tap it your gonna be outta gas

"its hip to be square"
willett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:25 PM   #3
Square84
I don't think these pills work

Quote:
Originally Posted by willett View Post
are you talking a new fuel pump, or a sender?

there is no pump in the tank of the square bodies

if you do ditch the second tank you should ditch your switch, if you accidently tap it your gonna be outta gas
there is a pump in his tank because in 87 they were tbi engines, and no ther is no harm in removing a tank and leaving it off my 84 has been like that for 4 years. the only thing is since the tanks are on the outside of the frame it could make it lean a little bit.and the 84 i have is lowered 4/6 and for a while i had 255/70r15 on it there was no rubbing but they are to skinny for my taste so now it has 275/60r15 on it.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:42 PM   #4
chevymotocross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square84 View Post
there is a pump in his tank because in 87 they were tbi engines, and no ther is no harm in removing a tank and leaving it off my 84 has been like that for 4 years. the only thing is since the tanks are on the outside of the frame it could make it lean a little bit.and the 84 i have is lowered 4/6 and for a while i had 255/70r15 on it there was no rubbing but they are to skinny for my taste so now it has 275/60r15 on it.
Sounds good. I may even go lower instead of the 2/4. I can go lower for cheaper (go figure!) with a flip kit. Reason I am nervous though, I am on a budget, and as of now I must work with the tires I have... 255/70/15 and I am afraid if I go 4/5, the fronts will rub. I do have a good set of 225/70/15 I could have put on the front if the 255's rub. Did yours rub with the 4/6?

Last edited by chevymotocross; 01-17-2009 at 11:44 PM.
chevymotocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:52 PM   #5
Square84

no not at all and i drive it like i'm running from the cops all the time. i changed them because i didn't like how they looked in the wheelwell.if you put the 225/70's on the front and leave the255/70's out back it will give it a hod rod look with a slight rake
Old 01-18-2009, 12:01 AM   #6
chevymotocross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square84 View Post
no not at all and i drive it like i'm running from the cops all the time. i changed them because i didn't like how they looked in the wheelwell.if you put the 225/70's on the front and leave the255/70's out back it will give it a hod rod look with a slight rake
Thanks for that info man. Any chance you have pics of your truck with the drop when you had the 255/70/15 tires?
Old 01-18-2009, 12:27 AM   #7
Square84

the first one with no rings is the 255/70 the second one with the rings is the wider 275/60
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2009, 12:34 AM   #8
chevymotocross

Thanks for the pics and quick responses! Truck looks great and it does look better I think with the 60 series tire. Eventually, that is the combo I want to go with (275/60 back, 255/60 front), but for now, I am on a budget with a drop kit and paint so I will have to make due with the tires I have.

I was very set on the 2/4 drop but since I found that the flip kit is cheaper than a shackle/hanger combo, looks easier to install, AND gives you more drop, why shouldn't I go with it!?

Did you notch your frame? I found cheap flip kit brackets on ebay for like $35. That guy sells them all the time but it is just the brackets. I will also need drop shocks, new bump stops, and probably new u-bolts since I wouldn't want to re-use the old rusted ones.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:43 AM   #9
Square84

the flip is easier also, on the shackle/hanger setup you have to knock all the factory rivets out and thats a pain. i did not put a notch in i just cut the bumpstops off. the u-bolts you can get cheap from any parts store. and i run factory shocks with shock extenders from sport truck direct they were like $50-60 i'm sure you could get them cheaper on e-bay. i did get drop shocks for the front for about $50 a piece and they made a hell of a difference.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:54 PM   #10
chevymotocross

Here are some pics of what I bought. Also, some pics of my current bed. As you can see, buying a new bed was a smarter choice than repairing my current one.

The new bed only needs that one cross beam replaced. I want to undercoat the entire underneath of the new bed. I like zerorust, but is it a good long lasting undercoat or should I use regular undercoating?

My current bed's condition:

The bed I just bought. All it needs is that one cross brace replaced (I think raybuck automotive sells them)

Solid Tailpan:

How I brought it home:
Old 01-19-2009, 08:39 PM   #11
Square84

Dang, i guess livin in texas i am spoiled cause i've never seen rust that bad before. New bed looks good and for me its already the right color! I've never used zerorust so i dont know if t will hold up over time i just use 3m undercoating, but we don't get a whole lot of rain or snow so rust is not really an issue, i undercoat just cause it makes the truck look better.