The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2009, 05:37 PM   #1
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Dump beds

has anyone here had one for any length of time and do they hold up?
I dont mean a dump body i mean one of those kits that convert the regular bed so it tilts up and dumps

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:02 PM   #2
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Re: Dump beds

Bob, not familiar with any kits, but I do know several people who have built them with varying degrees of success. Pumps, hoses, valves and cylinders and getting them mounted isn't easy but pretty straight forward. Problem everyone ran into was the tailgate. Box would tip fine with gate closed, but not open. One guy eliminated the bumper. Another lowered the bumper to below the hitch and made new brackets for the bumper. Another refabricated the tipping point pivot so he could leave the bumper on. Another made the bumper part of the bed itself. Any way you do it your going to have issues with the bumper. Build a dump trailer instead. Easier to deal with and you don't have to haul all that extra weight around 24\7. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:04 PM   #3
powerdriver 1958
Kid's Mechanic

saw this http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w..._419403_419403

http://www.splitez.com/Dump_hoist_ki...kup_truck.html

Last edited by powerdriver 1958; 01-18-2009 at 06:06 PM.
powerdriver 1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:07 PM   #4
AceX
>130dB Moderator

My aunt has one from the factory. Hydro system. Still work with all original equipment AFAIK.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:22 PM   #5
BLE 'BURBAN
In the Forgotten far North.

Check out http://www.loadhog.com/YourTruck.htm They offer an airbag setup.
overhead console Stereo install Round 2 Aug 2009
Heated/turn signal mirror upgrade
BLE 'BURBAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:57 AM   #6
Smoke-em

I have had my dump kit installed for over a year now. I have dumped probably 8 1 ton loads of gravel and numerous loads of mulch. I recommend this kit. (It is the kit that Northern Tool sells) It was not extrememly hard to install, but it did takes us a weekend to do it.

There are issues with mounting the rear bumper. Because you mount the brackets for the lift where the bumper attaches, you loose that ability. They recommend that you weld the bumper to the kit brackets. I didn't feel that they were heavy enough to hold the weld, and i couldn't find a rear bumper that I though was light enough to work.
I decided to just install a rear pan. There is no problem with the tail gate opening with this set up. However, I do remove the tailgate for dumping because I believe the load dumps nicer.

BTW, this is a "86" GMC 1/2 ton. I added 150lb air shocks and coil spring assists to help handle the heavy loads. Also, since this pic was taken I changed out the tires to a set of regular light truck tires. It works great!
Attached Images

Last edited by Smoke-em; 01-19-2009 at 08:03 AM.
Smoke-em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:39 PM   #7
Conundrum

My dad and I just got done removing one from my 74 GMC over the holidays. We tried it out, and as we removed it we found one of the reasons it wasn't working. The power wire for the hydraulics fell out of a clip and wore through on the trans crossmember.

97 GMC reg cab short bed, 4.3V6 / 5spd, daily driver
220,000 miles, all stock for now
Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:12 PM   #8
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

the set up from smokem is what im kinda thinking of.. thanks for the input

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:01 PM   #9
andrewmp6

The loadhog is the only one i know of that lets your bed sit down like a normal truck.The rest it sits up like a inch or so.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:46 AM   #10
Smoke-em

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post
the loadhog is the only one i know of that lets your bed sit down like a normal truck.the rest it sits up like a inch or so.
Here is a pic of my truck after the installatin of the dump kit, but before the paint job. The bed of the truck sits on the frame totally, and you can not tell the lift kit has been installed.
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2009, 09:09 AM   #11
heavychevy79
Cheyenne Super

I need one of those, I wouldn't have to unload junk out of my bed ever again!
There was a home made lookin cable/whinch C20 dump on CL, it didn't look
very strong tho.
heavychevy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:06 AM   #12
Smoke-em

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavychevy79 View Post
I need one of those, I wouldn't have to unload junk out of my bed ever again!
There was a home made lookin cable/whinch C20 dump on CL, it didn't look
very strong tho.
I have a neat story about unloading my truck. I had to replace the hot water tank in my home, and of course that meant taking the old one to the dump. So, I drove up to the unload point and there are two of the city workers standing around talking. As i get out of the truck I ask them how they are doing, and they say we are just admiring your truck. So, I thank them and continue to chat with them (about my truck) as I open the tailgate. I then walk back to the cab of the truck and as we are talking I lift the bed. The old hot water heater just slides out of the bed and slides right up to the collection of junk that is there. Ha. I didn't have to touch it!
Well, of course, they loved it, and they had to take a complete tour of my truck. They were still talking about my truck as I drove away.