The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2009, 01:21 PM   #1
pokethesmot
profeshinaly unimployed

second tank problems

i was on my cigarette brake at school and i was sitting in my truck when i got bored and decided to flip the switch to see how much gas i got in my second tank and it went WAY past full...now the problem is...there should be anything more then a gallon or too of gas in that tank so whats messed up on my truck

"having mud flaps is like asking for a smaller trophy"
pokethesmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:44 PM   #2
TexasJeff
Don't Crush em Restore em

Re: second tank problems

Mine does the same thing all the time, just turn the key on and off and it should reset itself and give you a true reading.
1998 Red with Gray Interior, C3500 Chevy Crew Cab Dually
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:07 PM   #3
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

This may reset the gage unless the sender is bad or the switching valve didn't switch all the way. Switch it back and forth several times to see what happens. Ask yourself if this has happened before. Switching valves are problematic at best in our trucks. I switch mine when 1 tank is at about half or a few times a week to keep it operational. If you don't use it, you'll loose it. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:57 PM   #4
silvereagle07

If you dont use the tank often, you may have sulfur build up on the fuel sender card. It will make it stick. If the truck will run off of that tank, put gas in the tank and add some chevron tecron fuel additive. It should clear up. Also like Jim said switch the tanks often to keep the valve working.

'84 GMC project truck
'85 Chevy 4X4 SOLD
'07 Chevy Trailblazer SS

5th Annual SHPHC Car/Truck Show Pics
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543605 UPDATED PICS! CHECK 'EM OUT
silvereagle07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:09 AM   #5
TexasJeff
Don't Crush em Restore em

I use both tanks all the time, and I put a brand new GM switching valve on it just 2 years ago, so it must have something to do with the sending unit, but I have had the problem with both tank to.
1998 Red with Gray Interior, C3500 Chevy Crew Cab Dually
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:50 AM   #6
silvereagle07

The sender card can get sulfur build up on it causing it to have and open circuit. My old truck did it all the time.

'84 GMC project truck
'85 Chevy 4X4 SOLD
'07 Chevy Trailblazer SS

5th Annual SHPHC Car/Truck Show Pics
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543605 UPDATED PICS! CHECK 'EM OUT
silvereagle07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:35 PM   #7
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

When mine went way past full, it was the switch. They used some kind of foam to seal the switch (on the dash) and it had broken down and gotten between the contacts, making a bad connection on most of the contacts. I just took it apart and cleaned it out and Now it works perfectly. Take your switch apart if it's old, it's easy and free. Next step would be all connections, most likely outside the cab. The connections right on the top of the tank stay extremely filthy, but are hard to get to. Also check every ground you can find. Good luck
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:55 PM   #8
D-Monkey

guess I was lucky enough to have all that stuff gutted by the PO, i just have a petcock click it to the passenger side, it's that tank, drivers side is that tank, straight back is off... guess it's kind of a dummy switch since it's almost hidden under the seat
D-Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote