The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Triple Tanks?

How hard would it be to mount a saddle tank on each side and a blazer tank between the rails? I would have a panel in the dash with 3 switches 1 for each tank. And I'd like to be able to use 2 tanks at once. On an M1008(5/4t RCLB 4x4).

Miss having a truck

Last edited by thirdstreettito; 01-23-2009 at 04:21 PM.
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:50 PM   #2
87Bob

Re: Triple Tanks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdstreettito View Post
How hard would it be to mount a saddle tank on each side and a blazer tank between the rails? I would have a panel in the dash with 3 switches 1 for each tank. And I'd like to be able to use 2 tanks at once. On an M1008(5/4t RCLB 4x4).

What???? two tanks at once why? One would suck air when drained. I would think you could have three tanks but you would use them one at a time. The way I would do it is to use a blazer tank with a transfer pump to flow fuel in to an empty saddle tank and refill it. Another idea would be to look in a marine catalog as boat will sometimes have more than one tank and there is a manual valve availible to direct the fuel from which tank is being used. I had one on a boat I had years ago. That valve will only work with a single line supply if you are using fuel injection it won't work as you have no way to control the fuel return line.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:13 PM   #3
willett
Another Day, Another Dollar

fuel cell?

"its hip to be square"
willett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:20 PM   #4
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Bob View Post
What???? two tanks at once why? One would suck air when drained. I would think you could have three tanks but you would use them one at a time. The way I would do it is to use a blazer tank with a transfer pump to flow fuel in to an empty saddle tank and refill it. Another idea would be to look in a marine catalog as boat will sometimes have more than one tank and there is a manual valve availible to direct the fuel from which tank is being used. I had one on a boat I had years ago. That valve will only work with a single line supply if you are using fuel injection it won't work as you have no way to control the fuel return line.
2 at once for extreme performance. Also, I would have all 3 full, then drain them one at a time. It would be 2 25gal saddles and 1 25gal blazer(or fuel cell), a total of 75gal of fuel. What do stock 2 tank trucks use?

Miss having a truck
Old 01-23-2009, 05:29 PM   #5
1969K10

I've got an old floor switch from a LWB that had 3 tanks. You just selected 1 tank at a time...

The best way I would think of doing what you're talking about, would be to "T" connect the drain portion of the tanks, and add a "T" for an air line that connected the tanks. Then just run 1 line up to the fule pump. Would also allow for a return line to 1 of the tanks, since really they'd all be connected.

past horses in the stable
72 C10-short step (97-02), 68 C10-long fleet (06-12)
1969K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:41 PM   #6
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

If you go and run both stock tanks with the blazer tank seperately you'll run into trouble filling them as fuel will siphon from the tank your filling to the empty one. Also, if the full level in all 3 tanks is different your going to leak fuel until all 3 tanks are the same. If you run 3 tanks use them 1 at a time. Also if you punch a hole in one or spring a leak you won't loose all your fuel, only part of it. I can run from Albany NY to the IN OHio border on 2 tanks (23 gallons each) You need more? Put a 275Gallon fuel oil tank back there, LOLL. Jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:49 PM   #7
dieselarmy13
Phone's ringin Dude.

Quote:
2 at once for extreme performance. Also, I would have all 3 full, then drain them one at a time. It would be 2 25gal saddles and 1 25gal blazer(or fuel cell), a total of 75gal of fuel. What do stock 2 tank trucks use?
What the hell do you plan on doing with this truck?

2003 SILVERADO SS--THE NEW GIRL

1972 GMC--THE OLD GIRL
dieselarmy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:44 PM   #8
Pyrotechnic

Well if it's a long bed, you can fit a Suburban tank. Something like 40 gallons.

Also, if you need extra fuel flow, don't use two tanks at once. Modify the sending units to have 1/2 inch pickup tubes, then run 1/2 inch fuel line or -8 AN line to the pump. Some manual valves would be best for this application, as no stock selector valve has that big of a fitting or can flow that much fuel.

Last edited by Pyrotechnic; 01-23-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:48 PM   #9
silvereagle07

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselarmy13 View Post

'84 GMC project truck
'85 Chevy 4X4 SOLD
'07 Chevy Trailblazer SS

5th Annual SHPHC Car/Truck Show Pics
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543605 UPDATED PICS! CHECK 'EM OUT
silvereagle07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:18 PM   #10
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Thanks guys. You all really helped me out. I'll figure it all out when the time comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselarmy13 View Post
You dont want to know...

Miss having a truck
Old 01-24-2009, 12:08 AM   #11
rod86
great southern land

Quote:
You dont want to know...

cmon do tell... inquiring minds are curious....

86 chevy c10 silverado
rod86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:54 AM   #12
jrsmith_2010
I like turtles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod86 View Post
cmon do tell... inquiring minds are curious....
im wondering the same thing
2006 Chevy Cobalt-college car, staying stock

Whatever can't get fixed with a hammer, a roll of duct tape, a clothes hanger, a tube of glue, and a case of beer, can wait until tomorrow.
jrsmith_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 03:05 AM   #13
dieselarmy13
Phone's ringin Dude.

Quote:
You dont want to know...
Oh.....but I do! Make sure we see pics of this mutha! If it takes three tanks to feed it, well, I can only imagine.....

2003 SILVERADO SS--THE NEW GIRL

1972 GMC--THE OLD GIRL
dieselarmy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:46 AM   #14
andrewmp6

Gonna enter a cannonball kinda run and don't want to stop for gas?
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:01 AM   #15
sick69

Quote:
You dont want to know...

Yes actually we would like to know! lol What would you need that much fuel for? Planning on driving from one coast to the other in a hurry?

Frank

Last edited by sick69; 01-24-2009 at 05:02 AM.
sick69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:54 AM   #16
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Well. I'll tell ya. I'll be getting it in the next 2 weeks, so no pics yet.

Plans (Always changing):
6.2L Diesel
Banks kit with bigger turbo and 4" exhaust
Twin turbo eventually
Stage 3 methanol injection
Huge injectors
More...about 300HP/500ftlbs when finished
NV5600 6-speed/Twin stick NP205
4:10:1 Gears, locker out back
2"-6" lift
32"-36" tires(depending on lift)
Class 5 hitch
Hidden gooseneck
Firestone helper bags
Custom front/rear tube bumpers w/ winches
And more and more

Miss having a truck
Old 01-24-2009, 12:17 PM   #17
special-K
Special Order

You have alot to learn.I ind listening works and tellin`doesn`t.I`m getting those specs from a single turbo.Hi-pop injectors are a waste w/o increased fuel delivery and that`s not accomplished by sucking from two tanks at once...bad theory,scratch that one.
You don`t want to 5th wheel with a lifted truck.You can`t physically fit 25 gallon tanks as saddle tanks.All more fuel capacity does is give longer cruise range.Over 50 gallons requires fuel hauling permit and invites DOT to inspect you like a big truck.Something I avoid like the plague.If the switch you`re refering to on the dash is the valve controlling which tank you run off of,each fuel line will be run into the cab and under the dash.Please don`t attempt this.I highly advise against such a dangerous and impracticle plan.
As others have asked,what do you plan to do with this truck?meaning,once it`s built.What`s the intended use requiring such unusual design changes?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 01-24-2009 at 12:22 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 02:27 PM   #18
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

It would be my DD and farm/hauling truck. Basically I want it to be able to do anything I need it to do.

Miss having a truck
Old 01-24-2009, 04:19 PM   #19
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Bradley you need to visit us in the real world every so often. There is nothing wrong with having visions of heavily modified vehicles. We all have our dreams.

On the other hand, please don't ask us how to polish the platinum plating on your millenium time traveler.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:34 PM   #20
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
You have alot to learn.I ind listening works and tellin`doesn`t.I`m getting those specs from a single turbo.Hi-pop injectors are a waste w/o increased fuel delivery and that`s not accomplished by sucking from two tanks at once...bad theory,scratch that one.
You don`t want to 5th wheel with a lifted truck.You can`t physically fit 25 gallon tanks as saddle tanks.All more fuel capacity does is give longer cruise range.Over 50 gallons requires fuel hauling permit and invites DOT to inspect you like a big truck.Something I avoid like the plague.If the switch you`re refering to on the dash is the valve controlling which tank you run off of,each fuel line will be run into the cab and under the dash.Please don`t attempt this.I highly advise against such a dangerous and impracticle plan.
As others have asked,what do you plan to do with this truck?meaning,once it`s built.What`s the intended use requiring such unusual design changes?
id listen, it makes sense. You dont wanna be illegal going down the road. Not knowing the law does not make you innocent of breaking the law.

My name tag says Ryan

KansasTwister On other forums

Last edited by Walts_restoration; 01-24-2009 at 04:35 PM.
Walts_restoration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:09 PM   #21
special-K
Special Order

Well said,N2TRUX.We`re not trying to kill your dream,Bradley,just hope to keep you grounded enough to see things through.When you announce every pipe dream you have it gets to be "the boy who cried wolf" thing.People stop listening.Think your visions through and feel free to ask.You asked about the fuel tank plan and replies let you know why it wouldn`t work as well as there is no purpose to it.But,I saw you go on to explain why you want to do it,as if it all went over your head.Just a week ago you had a thread asking questions about these trucks which showed you didn`t know much about them.It`s an excellent choice of vehicle to start with.But,let me say it`s best to get it,run it,see what it can do,and then see what you feel it lacks before planning the whole thing out.These trucks will do whatever you ask in the way of work goes.That`s why the military used them for a couple decades.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 01-24-2009 at 11:45 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:11 AM   #22
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Well said,N2TRUX.We`re not trying to kill your dream,Bradley,just hope to keep you grounded enough to see things through.When you announce every pipe dream you have it gets to be "the boy who cried wolf" thing.People stop listening.Think your visions through and feel free to ask.You asked about the fuel tank plan and replies let you know why it wouldn`t work as well as there is no purpose to it.But,I saw you go on to explain why you want to do it,as if it all went over your head.Just a week ago you had a thread asking questions about these trucks which showed you didn`t know much about them.It`s an excellent choice of vehicle to start with.But,let me say it`s best to get it,run it,see what it can do,and then see what you feel it lacks before planning the whole thing out.These trucks will do whatever you ask in the way of work goes.That`s why the military used them for a couple decades.

I bet the military treats em nice compared to how i run these orignal old trucks haha. THree years of driving its let me down once, when the starter solenoid went bad. Waited five minutes started up and drive it home. My 77 went from hauling goats to being a 16 year olds first truck, which i abused and treated like a race car, won a few against some people too. Im not afriad to go anywhere in my truck.

My name tag says Ryan

KansasTwister On other forums

Last edited by Walts_restoration; 01-25-2009 at 12:13 AM.
Walts_restoration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 01:33 AM   #23
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Thanks guys. K, I understand what ya mean. You should talk to my dad...all I talk about is trucks. ALL DAY LONG. If my rich step dad were here he might get so annoyed he would give me a bunch of money to follow through with my threats.

Miss having a truck
Old 01-25-2009, 02:03 AM   #24
Dooley

When I got my 1972 GMC C3500 Longbed 402 BB, it was ordered with the optional driverside-underbed 18 gal.tank. It had the under-bedside toolbox on the passenger side. Then had a steel 30 gal. tank built that took up the extra bed length up front so that when the camper was on the truck it sat just like it would have in an 8' bed. With the "in cab 22gal tank" the truck carried a total 70 gallons. In the early 70's took a trip to Alaska. There weren't gas stations on every corner back then. Heck, there weren't many corners period! Really, never felt a need for more than 50 gal capacity since.

I have thought about mounting a 20 gal on the passenger side of my M1008 for alternate fuels. Then a valve for convenient switching to/from the diesel tank.
Dooley is offline   Reply With Quote