The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2009, 12:04 PM   #1
697498chevy

Buying parts ?

Just came from Advance Auto . Can you believe they don't have an air filter for my '69 307 ? Claimed they couldn't even get one . A few weeks ago I also struck out on a brass fuel filter . Found one at Auto Zone . Had to go to NAPA a while back for Exhaust manifold studs . Wonder if y'all have the same problems . Maybe all your engines are a newer than my 40 year old . Guess my main gripe is the only close store is an Advance . Just thought I'd share . THANKS .
697498chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:21 PM   #2
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Re: Buying parts ?

NAPA is my go-to for somewhat obselete parts. Many of them have been around for years....look at the outside of the building and judge for yourself. Along with that older structure, lots of times will come an older parts person. When you get a senior parts person, you also get a higher degree of knowledge about 40+ year old vehicles. Again, look at the person who is waiting on you. This doesn't mean that we won't encounter a younger person who is advanced in his "old school" automotive knowledge.

When you go to Advanced, Auto Zone, etc., you likely will encounter a person who could pass a drug test and needs a job. This doesn't take away from them or their enthusiasm, but merely is an indicator of what it takes to get hired. It's an entry-level job, with entry-level hourly schedules and your boss will be someone who may know more than the basic parts person, but he/she will also be able to handle the books and such.

I got laid off from my job in '82, with the then-current downturn in the economy. After doing some looking around, I ended up working for Auto Shack, the predecessor of Auto Zone. They are part of Malone & Hyde, a company that sells groceries, pharmaceuticals and auto parts....all commodities that they deem to be somewhat recession-proof. I felt good whenever I could help someone who had an older vehicle, find what they needed. We also became pseudo-mechanics, when a customer would come in with a problem with what they had bought (carburetor, for example).

Good parts people are worth their weight in gold. If you have one, your best bet is to stay in their good graces. It doesn't matter if it is an aftermarket store or a dealership. Their willingness to take the time to look up a much-needed bit of information, whether it relates to the availability of a given part or simply a part number to help you identify that mysterious piece you found, is a gift. Don't take them for granted.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:24 PM   #3
Sinister
Between Trucks...

I'd take in your old air cleaner and start opening boxes looking for a match.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:07 PM   #4
69gumby

There are very few "Auto Parts Stores" left. Ok I'm not a spring chicken , I'm more of a classic when it comes to my age so I'm going back into the late 60s and the 70s when we had real auto parts stores. The guys behind the counter were tuff, had a cigarette hanging out of there mouth and the phone wedged between their ear and shoulder. When he got off the phone he would great you by name because this was his career not a part time job, he had been doing this for twenty years. When you asked for a part he flipped through the catalogs going right to the section he needed, he'd get the part number and in a few seconds would be back with your part, a part made in the USA. Here the BIG thing, he knew what the part was, where it went and how to install it!!! I used to love the auto parts store, you could hang out and shoot the breeze about cars with these guys because they knew what it was all about.

Today you have a person making minimum wage and with NO idea what in the heck they are doing. If they are lucky enough to find the part number for what you need and if the part is in stock it's made in China. These stores are only good for a quart of oil or a bottle of wax. Hell they don't even have a decent nut and bolt section.

Ok, I have gone off on a rant. I hope I didn't offend any parts people, like I said there are a few good ones. You know who you are.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:19 PM   #5
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
X2...I cannot imagine even the crappiest of auto parts stores not having an air filter for a small block Chevy. I can even buy one at the grocery store.
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:24 PM   #6
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69gumby View Post
There are very few "Auto Parts Stores" left. Ok I'm not a spring chicken , I'm more of a classic when it comes to my age so I'm going back into the late 60s and the 70s when we had real auto parts stores. The guys behind the counter were tuff, had a cigarette hanging out of there mouth and the phone wedged between their ear and shoulder. When he got off the phone he would great you by name because this was his career not a part time job, he had been doing this for twenty years. When you asked for a part he flipped through the catalogs going right to the section he needed, he'd get the part number and in a few seconds would be back with your part, a part made in the USA. Here the BIG thing, he knew what the part was, where it went and how to install it!!! I used to love the auto parts store, you could hang out and shoot the breeze about cars with these guys because they knew what it was all about.

Today you have a person making minimum wage and with NO idea what in the heck they are doing. If they are lucky enough to find the part number for what you need and if the part is in stock it's made in China. These stores are only good for a quart of oil or a bottle of wax. Hell they don't even have a decent nut and bolt section.

Ok, I have gone off on a rant. I hope I didn't offend any parts people, like I said there are a few good ones. You know who you are.

Are you from Colton?? You just described Steve from Big A Genuine auto parts to a "T". When I was growing up in the 70's, that is the only place where my dad would get parts from. In the 80's, in came Chief auto parts...and it has been a downhill slide ever since.
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:41 PM   #7
72armyswbtruck

I know exactly what you mean. Parts stores are definitely not what they use to be.
If I were you I would just go in with your old air filter and have them match it up.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:54 PM   #8
69gumby

Nope, I've been in Sacramento since I started driving. I'm talking about Foothill Auto Supply and Superior both on Auburn Blvd. In my rant I kept saying guys but Superior was run by an old German woman with a strong accent and dirty hands just like any of the other parts guys.

One other thing, Both of these parts stores had MACHINE SHOPS!
Old 01-24-2009, 03:36 PM   #9
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

look on the old air filter, on the rubber piece there should be a number. Call NAPA with that number, they don't even need to know what it came out of.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:09 PM   #10
697498chevy

I had the Fram part number . Young fella didn't want it . On his behalf , he did offer to match it up . Told him I'd just wait and check out Auto Zone or NAPA . THANKS for all the replies .
Old 01-24-2009, 04:15 PM   #11
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
yep! nice Sin!!!

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by tcb-1; 01-24-2009 at 04:15 PM.
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:16 PM   #12
mbgmike

Thats why they are ranked number two behind Autozone for 2008
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:46 PM   #13
sick69

Same situation around here there used to be a couple good parts stores here. Well probably closer to 4 or 5.

Didn't matter what you needed they could either go pull it off the shelf or knew exactly where to order it from and how long it would take to get it, off the top of their heads. They knew what interchanged with what and what would work in a pinch.

We had one shop that also did alot of performance carb stuff. Didn't matter when you went in J.C. would be somewhere with a cigarette burning and a carb torn apart, ussually smoothing the venturis or drilling jets.

The owner(worked the store everyday aswell) had an all steel, 10 second 55 bel air. I believe the store had been started by his father and passed on.

With all the new cars they just didn't seem to incorporate the old and new. The owner now runs a parts department at a dealership.

Frank

Last edited by sick69; 01-24-2009 at 04:48 PM.
sick69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:52 PM   #14
eseaton

I know what you are going through I work for Auto Zone as a manager, but most of the guys they hire cant find their but with both hands, I am no expert but I can use the computer and when the stupid thing isnt programmed right I will go to the book for the parts. By the way the air filter is a ca192-fram or sa192-stp. I wish they would hire guys that know something because it makes all of us look bad and retarded.

eseaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:43 PM   #15
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

This thread is exactly why I almost exclusively get my parts from CarQuest, or NAPA.

The local CarQuest is a family operation. They bought the store from the PO about 18 years ago. When I go in there, I'm greeted by name; if they don't have what I need, they tell me when it will come in.
They were heavily involved in racing locally, Walt built & drove the cars & his bride wasn't/isn't beneath getting her hands dirty; so the pretty much know their ahhhhhhh, poop.
I've had a problem, or 2, that I couldn't figure out & Walt has said, "Let's go look at it. But you have to bring me back to the store."
You just can't get that kind of service from the big chains.
And, I'll admit, I'm proud to call those folks my friends.

I don't get near that service at the NAPA store, but they have a well qualified staff; and the owner, whom I've known for years, and I always have a friendly back & forth friendly banter.

I avoid the chain stores, except when nothing else is available & I need something NOW!
Generally, the only things I buy there are oil, antifreeze, and various "chemicals"; stuff they can't screw up.

And, all y'all are now proud possessors of my .02.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:45 PM   #16
697498chevy

Fram CA 192 sounds right . THANKS again for all the replies .
Old 01-24-2009, 07:52 PM   #17
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

My local NAPA is like a chain store.My local Advance has some pretty sharp guys in it.They are easier to deal with also.They actually told me when I went for brake line adapters.The bottom shelf on the back wall has a couple prts bins with them in it."Go look".I only deal with Derrick and Manuel because they play with cars and know their poop.They aren't big into the classics though they like them they just can't afford one on a parts guy salary.
I too miss the guy who didn't look in the book, just went in back after your SBC points.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"

Last edited by PanelDeland; 01-24-2009 at 07:53 PM.
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote