The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-25-2009, 02:09 AM   #1
greygoose

Frame painting ?

You guy have inspired me to try and do all the work myself..lol I see on a lot of threads where a lot of you guys paint your frames and the all look very good.My question is what type of paint is it and where can i get it from and what type of degreasers to use or would it be easier to just grind out the frame. Thanks in advance...
Old 01-25-2009, 09:02 AM   #2
Larry S

Re: Frame painting ?

I disassembled mine and pressure washed it first, I used zep degreaser, then my son and myself spent many hours gringing the frame with a wire brush wheel and we sandblasted the nooks and crannys with a small sandblaster I have. Then I sprayed it with chassis saver paint and got it at the local auto paint store. This was the 1st time Ive ever used it, and it came highly recommended by several people I trust. If you use it , you either need to do it with some good ventilation or do it out side. Its very potient, and use gloves because you just have to wear it off your hands. I'm satisfied with the end result. However when I hauled my cab to the sandblaster, he had a chassis up there he had blasted and painted and it looked good. He had about 1/4 of the time in it, that we spent on mine, because he stripped it with his comercial sandblaster.
Larry S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:47 AM   #3
NYC-10
screamin eagle

I just did my frame-I wire wheeled the whole thing,came out great,no pitting-everyone said to use por15,so I put it on with a brush.You could see brush strokes and the semi gloss was a little to shiny for me.I ended up sanding the por15 smooth and going over it with low gloss engine paint and it came out mint.If your going to use por I would spray it. If I did it again I would prime and just paint with a low gloss black.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:19 AM   #4
msgross

check out my build...

I used a torch and putty knife to remove the undercoating.. then sandblasted it.. then used this stuff www.nomorerust.com and am very happy with the protection...

I would do the AG111 kit ($64) in satin though, it's still pretty shiny but it's UV safe (unlike their chassis gloss black or POR15)

I only used 1.5 quarts to cover frame, crossmembers, axles, springs and hitch with two coats of each product! It needs to be clean and "roughed up" though... you would swear mine has been powdercoated now... very good stuff
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"

Last edited by msgross; 01-25-2009 at 10:20 AM.
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:00 PM   #5
Skirkpat

If you want tough, POR 15 is the sure bet, as long as it is cleaned with a good surface prep, sand blasting wont be nessecary...it actaually stopss the surface rust...Great product for what it is. At the body shop they cuss it because they can hardly get if off..

If it is supposed to be a show car, then you might want to get a real chasis paint, I have used Eastwoods products and have been very happy.

As far as grease or undercoating goes there is a pretty good product at Sherwin Williams (around eighty $ I think), it comes in a gallon bucket and cleans up with water, you paint it on let it set for a day or two under this film that comes with it and it will eat though almost anything then srape or wash it off, there are not alot of fumes, or at least not as bad as airplane paint solvent.
Skirkpat is offline   Reply With Quote