The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-09-2002, 06:35 AM   #1
Snohog

Question smog system removal

Anybody know of a good internet tech article about removing all smog equipment on 86 - 305. I want to clean out all the mess.
Snohog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 03:01 PM   #2
PHOENIX

No I dont know of one. What all are you planning on removing?
Old 12-10-2002, 08:49 AM   #3
Snohog

I really dont know enough about the smog eq. to answer. I just want to get rid of the vacuum line mess and clean up the top end of the engine. Will also lose the cats. Not sure how much I can remvoe without affecting performance and life.
Old 12-10-2002, 12:11 PM   #4
PHOENIX

Post Hope this helps

Removing the smog equipment shouldn't shorten the life of your engine. If anything it will run a little better.

Here is a list of the things most commonly removed:
A.I.R Pump (usually on pass. side under alternator) you'll need a new belt after removing this.
Everything attached to the A.I.R. Pump (Valve on back, hoses leading to check valve on exhaust manifold).
Vacuum line(s) leading to diverter valve on back of A.I.R. Pump (this line should go to the thermal vacuum switch (TVS) mounted on your intake manifold). Cap the port on the TVS after removing line.
Remove exhaust manifold or just the small injection lines (you can unscrew the lines from the manifold and plug the holes using brass plugs. These brass plugs can be bought at Checker/AutoZone; they may be behind the counter, so you might need to ask them)
EGR valve is located on the passenger side of the intake manifold near the back of the carb. You can remove the vacuum line and cap the ports (both at EGR and TVS) or you can remove the EGR all together and get a block off plate, you will still need to cap the port on the TVS.
Because you're in a cold place I suggest that you keep the heat riser (located on the pass. side exhaust manifold, down low by exhaust pipes).

I'm not sure what else your interested in removing, but the above is a good list to follow and will get a lot of crap off your engine. Do NOT remove anything listed above if you are required to pass state emissions inspection (dyno/sniffer or visual). They can fail you for removing any of the items I listed above.

Here are some pictures to help you out:
AIR PUMP:

DIVERTER VALVE / AIRMANAGEMENT VALVE: (May look slightly different)

CHECK VALVE (Exhaust):

THERMAL VACUUM SWITCH (TVS): (May have more ports, may have less)

EGR VALVE: (This is a side view, alot of people describe this as a bell looking item)

I hope this helps you out, if you have any other quetions Ill try to help you out. I spent some time playing with my emissions equipment, which I'm required to keep on my truck .

Last edited by PHOENIX; 12-10-2002 at 12:13 PM.
PHOENIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 08:01 PM   #5
Snohog

Lightbulb

Thats a pretty good tech article Eddie, thanks. Looks like enough to keep me busy over the weekend, Ill let you know how it goes. So far Indianapolis suburbs are not testing, but Ill keep you never know.