The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-26-2009, 09:40 PM   #1
CUSTOM DELUXE

Center a/c diffuser for 64-66

I was wondering if any of you guys may have, or know someone that may have a center a/c diffuser. What I am wanting to do is have the old school look on the dash but put vintage air under the dash and route it out the center diffuser. Anybody got any direction on this? Know anybody that has tried this?

Thanks,
CUSTOM DELUXE
Attached Images

CUSTOM DELUXE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:28 AM   #2
Blue666

Smile Re: Center a/c diffuser for 64-66

I am planning a similar upgrade for my 66 short fleetside. I was able to find the center vent on Ebay, but it is missing the retainer to keep the vertical vent in the unit. It otherwise needs stripped & rechromed/painted.

DVAL on the Chevy Truck Forum @ Classic Industries has done a real nice build in his 65 Suburban. He even has the part numbers from Vintage Air that you will need to construct the vent work behind the dash panel.

Good luck.
Blue666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:45 AM   #3
Blue666

Smile Re: Center a/c diffuser for 64-66

Here's the scoop from DVAL

RE: Unique Center Vent

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Funny you should ask this. I just wrote up something on how to adapt the center vent to aftermarket A/C for the new owner of my panel.

The procedure uses parts available from Vintage Air.

Directions for adapting Aftermarket Air Conditioning to
Factory A/C Center dash Cold Air Vent

I have prepared this truck to install an aftermarket under dash A/C Heater. The motor already has the necessary crank pulley, and I have included the Chevrolet Factory block-off plates needed to cover the holes in the firewall after the old heater box is removed. The factory block off plates will add a finished look to firewall after installation.

The 64 – 66 Chevrolet trucks offered a Factory Air option that included a center of dash cold air vent and moved the ash tray to an under dash location.
The following is a list of parts needed to connect the center of dash cold air vent to an aftermarket supplied air conditioner;

Vintage Air # 62415-VUE 2” to 2 ½” hose adapter ( 2 needed )
Vintage Air # 49592-VUI 2 ½” Y Connector
Vintage Air # 06250-VUE 2 ½” Duct Hose

Start by attaching the hose adapters ( # 62415-VUE ) to the back of the Chevrolet Truck factory center dash vent using super glue or another maximum bond adhesive of your choice.
Connect two short lengths of the 2 ½” hose ( # 06250-VUE ) to the Y connector ( # 49592-VUE)
Connect the Y Connector using the 2 ½” hose to the center vent output of the aftermarket under-dash air conditioning unit.

Two more dash vents will be needed on either side of the dash. There are a number of ways to go there using either under-dash mounted, or round or square shaped louvers that would be cut into the dash face.

I had planned on adapting the Chevrolet Factory a/c knobs to an aftermarket controller.

There are two vendors that I found,
Vintage Air (http://www.vintageair.com/) Sure Fit system and
Old Air Products ( http://www.oldairproducts.com/shop/index.php ) that manufacture under dash A/C heat systems for this truck. Of the two, Old Air products claims that their controller can use the factory knobs.
If retaining the factory knobs is something you wish, then Old Air would be a good choice. If that is not a priority, then either vendor would supply a kit that will go right in when installed by a competent installer.

DVal

Old 01-27-2009, 08:37 AM   #4
62 short step

Re: Center a/c diffuser for 64-66

That DVAL, he sure is very helpfull. Its a shame he sold that nice panel.

1965 c-10
86 chevy c/k 20
62 short step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:01 PM   #5
TimE
Hey Y'all!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62 short step View Post
That DVAL, he sure is very helpfull. Its a shame he sold that nice panel.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:08 AM   #6
CUSTOM DELUXE

Thanks Blue666, that is a lot of information that I was wanting to know. Pretty much hits the nail on the head.. I tend to look at this forum for good advice. Y'all are awesome!!!
72 SWB STEPSIDE- SOLD!!
03 Z71
04 TAHOE- WIFE'S
03 HD FATBOY 100TH ANNIVERSARY LUXURY BLUE PEARL
CUSTOM DELUXE is offline   Reply With Quote