The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-01-2009, 12:29 AM   #1
68shortstep
Looks good at 20-ft .....

Been Away for a few (icey) days

As the topic says.

In our area, we're all victims of a MAJOR ice storm. You may have seen it on CNN or the Weather Channel. First time we ever had one like this here in 30 years, and far & away worst I've ever seen in my 61 years.

80-plus percent of the homes in the immediate North-Central Arkansas area were without electricity (no heat, no lights, no hot or cold water) for 4-plus days. Hundreds of power utility crews here from all over the Midwest - I don't envy those guys their jobs, working out in the real-cold & real-wet, & very dangerous conditions - whatever they earn, it's probably not enough.

Fortunately, we had (cold) public water at my house (at least you could get a drink & flush the commode). At my office, the power (& internet) was just turned back on today --- hot water & a bath tub makes you appreciate the joy of (finally) getting a bath !!! We're sleeping at work tonite.

Thousands --- literally thousands --- of big oak trees just totally shattered & are broken down from the ice load. Sounds like cannon-fire when one of those big old guys gives up & falls from the load. Many of the younger or tougher-trees were pulled out by their roots & fell, root ball & all.

I have a big oak tree limb & a downed power line laying on the ole blue 68-shortstep. Not too bad, I think --- maybe even no damage (it probably really will buff-out). Oh well, it is what it is. At least nothing fell on my house.

Many cars, trucks, & houses were smashed when big trees fell on them. Several houses have burned down when the power was turned back on, or auxilliary heat or generators were not used right, & the fire dept's have had a tough time getting to them.

Photos to follow, when or if can figure out how to get them off my stupid phone. You might know the digital camera wasn't at home when I needed it.

Last edited by 68shortstep; 02-01-2009 at 01:37 AM.
68shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:40 AM   #2
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Re: Been Away for a few (icey) days

Daaaaaaaaaang!

Glad all of your stuff is OK.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:07 AM   #3
clay68c10

Man, that sux. We got just a bit of the ice here and it wasn't fun.
There's nothing quite like a cold-ass shower is there?
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:30 AM   #4
68shortstep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay68c10 View Post
There's nothing quite like a cold-ass shower is there?
Cold-ass is right !!! I tried one after waiting three days, & jumped-out.

Those are for the younger & "more-studly" guys, I guess.

One of the ladies who works for us & has waist-length hair said she "just had to try to wash her hair" & dunked her head into a bucket of cold water. She said she sat down (spelled F-E-L-L down) on her butt from the old ice-cream cone brain-freeze & gave up.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:38 AM   #5
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Glad to hear you're okay.
I've been worrying about some kin I have in your "neighborhood"; Carrol County, Rogers/Bentonville area, and up north in Aurora, Mo, that I haven't been able to contact.

Carrol County made the news way out here with the ice storm stuff.

Hang in there, Buddy.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:48 AM   #6
68shortstep

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Jay View Post
Glad to hear you're okay.
I've been worrying about some kin I have in your "neighborhood"; Carrol County, Rogers/Bentonville area, and up north in Aurora, Mo, that I haven't been able to contact.

Carrol County made the news way out here with the ice storm stuff.

Hang in there, Buddy.
Thanks. I feel fortunate & blessed, compared to what some folks have had to deal with.

Regular phone service is out most everywhere from trees & limbs taking the lines down, & cell phone services are pretty much intermittent, at best.

Hope your relatives are OK, too. Probably so, & you just can't reach them for right now. My son lives in Springfield, generally near Aurora, & they got next to nothing out of the storm at all, where he is.

Life goes on. At least we'll have something to tell stories about in the future.

Last edited by 68shortstep; 02-01-2009 at 01:49 AM.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:17 AM   #7
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68shortstep View Post
Thanks. I feel fortunate & blessed, compared to what some folks have had to deal with.

Regular phone service is out most everywhere from trees & limbs taking the lines down, & cell phone services are pretty much intermittent, at best.

Hope your relatives are OK, too. Probably so, & you just can't reach them for right now. My son lives in Springfield, generally near Aurora, & they got next to nothing out of the storm at all, where he is.

Life goes on. At least we'll have something to tell stories about in the future.
Thanks. I appreciate your response.

The last I heard from my uncle (Eureka Springs) he was going to check his generator to make sure it had gas & would start.

And I apologize to you for sort of hijacking your thread.

Vaya con Dios.

El Jay

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
Old 02-01-2009, 02:36 AM   #8
68shortstep

No Prob.

Not a hijack far as I'm concerned.

We've all gotta help each other however, whenever.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:40 AM   #9
rstewart09

I feel your pain, here is SE Ohio we where without power for 3 days. I bought a small generator the last time this happened and its worth its weight in gold at times like these. I was able to run the refrigerator, microwave, and TV. Could run the water pump if I shut off the other things. I have a wood stove that doesn't get used much but is a life saver in times like this. Had to heat water for the tub on the stove just like they did in the old days. I was sure glad to see the power back on but with the generator things where not to bad.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:16 AM   #10
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

We were up from Atlanta working (outside) in Louisville when it hit. 2 days later we packed it up and did 35 mph home!
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Custom Camper "Dump Truck"
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Suburban "Big Green"
1969 Chevrolet C-50 Wedge Hauler "Leonidis"
1966 C-10 2x4 short fleet 327 4 speed "Race Truck"
1952 Plymouth Cranbrook "Rican" (my grandfathers)
1931 Ford Model A Coupe "Black Beauty"
1930 Ford Model A truck "Club Cab" 4x4

Rottenwood Garage and Speed Shop.....where everything must be racy!

It's not just a hobby..It's a LIFESTYLE!!!

Thanks for nothing Barrett-Jackson

You cant fix stupid or teach accountability!

Time wasters, looky Lous and tire kickers are everywhere!
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:43 AM   #11
Boog
laying low

Well hey my friend. I have wondered how ya'll were making it up there. The start of the ice was just above us here in Searcy. Just about all we received was rain while hovering near 32*. While heading south yesterday I saw numerous convoys of power trucks and tree trimming crews headed north.
As expected generators are scarce and at a premium right now for anyone in your part of the state.
Somewhere up there a police chief or mayor was killed by a falling tree while helping clear the roads.
The weather guys got this one right saying it was going to be a bad one, an historic event. They were right. Well over a million out of power through several states.
On the upside, a big oak limb lands on your 68 and no damage? Gotta smile about that.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:04 AM   #12
big_al_71

Man I seen it on TV and can relate to being without power for days at a time being that I live in South Florida and we have our share of rainstorms and hurricanes. The only difference is that we are HOT as Hell during the hurricane months....

Hang in there and good luck!!!

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:28 AM   #13
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Glad things are starting back to normal.Hope it stays with the warming trend for a few days.On the pics just e- mail them to yourself from the phone.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:04 AM   #14
68 short step

dang, what a time you had......
68 short step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:48 AM   #15
LEEVON

I feel your pain 68shortstep, that was alot of ice! It seemed like it just rained ice for 2 days straight. I gotta hand it to the electric COOP though, we only lost power for 1 day. Their offices even had to be relocated to a hotel and they were still on the ball. I heard many reports of early repairs that were wrecked by more ice too causing double-work. The friends we stayed with have family near Deere, Arkansas and they called to say that all of the power poles on their main road had broken, and they just bulldozed them up into a pile, lines and all!

My daily driver was under about 4-5 inches of ice and sleet from Tuesday until yesterday (57 degrees!). At least I had the wife's Tahoe in the garage.

Sounds like Kentucky got the worst of it though...700,000 without power.

For me cold showers = NO SHOWERS

Hey El Jay - Rogers/Bentonville is pretty much back to normal, rural Carrol County might still have some issues and Aurora is fine too. With the big warm up things are moving quickly.

big al - We lived in Miami from '02 - '07 and I wouldn't trade this stuff for hurricanes any day. Wilma, Katrina, Rita, they all sucked.

Last edited by LEEVON; 02-01-2009 at 10:53 AM.
LEEVON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:18 PM   #16
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEVON View Post
I feel your pain 68shortstep, that was alot of ice! It seemed like it just rained ice for 2 days straight. I gotta hand it to the electric COOP though, we only lost power for 1 day. Their offices even had to be relocated to a hotel and they were still on the ball. I heard many reports of early repairs that were wrecked by more ice too causing double-work. The friends we stayed with have family near Deere, Arkansas and they called to say that all of the power poles on their main road had broken, and they just bulldozed them up into a pile, lines and all!

My daily driver was under about 4-5 inches of ice and sleet from Tuesday until yesterday (57 degrees!). At least I had the wife's Tahoe in the garage.

Sounds like Kentucky got the worst of it though...700,000 without power.

For me cold showers = NO SHOWERS

Hey El Jay - Rogers/Bentonville is pretty much back to normal, rural Carrol County might still have some issues and Aurora is fine too. With the big warm up things are moving quickly.

big al - We lived in Miami from '02 - '07 and I wouldn't trade this stuff for hurricanes any day. Wilma, Katrina, Rita, they all sucked.
Thank you, Sir. I appreciate that.