The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-10-2002, 01:03 AM   #1
J-Spec C10
Whats this wire for?....

Question Quadra Jet?

Ok, so how do I tell what my carb is? I know what it does ( & doesn't do) But I don't know where to start.

I started out tuning/racing my CRX, all EFI stuff. Carbs have eluded me since Highschool Autoshop.

I have read about quadrajets being made by rochester and edelbrock, which is it? is a Q-Jet different than a Quadrajet?

The real problem is a huge bog to the point of near stalling when I accelerate. Its not always consistent either, sometimes its a friggin' rocket other times just a rock. Any carb gurus out there?

'82 C10 Resto-Custom--> * 2 1/4" manifold back dual exhaust with Hooker Aerochambers & High Flow Cats *Taylor Ignition Wires *Centerline 15" Telstars with 32"x10" mudders
J-Spec C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 12:38 PM   #2
PHOENIX

Both Rochester and Edelbrock make Q-Jets which is short for Quadrajet. If your carb. is original you should have a Rochester. Edelbrocks are replacement carbs that meet all requirements on emission controlled vehicles. The Edelbrocks are like the originals with a few changes for the better. When I went to the Edelbrock I didnt notice any difference except I was able to pass emissions (Rochester leaked) and had a working electric choke.

Your boggin is probly caused by your EGR valve. Try unhooking it and see what happens. You should notice a different right away. The EGR is located on the passenger side of the intake manifold near the back of the carb. Its kinda big and is a metal color. Take the vacuum line off and plug the line and cap the port, then go for a ride and see how it acts. If it acts fine try replacing or removing your EGR valve. If you have to pass emissions then you will need your EGR for sniffer and visual.
Old 12-10-2002, 12:40 PM   #3
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Rochester used to make Q-jets but now Edelbrock sells them, made by someone else of course. Can't think of who it is right now.

When you say accelerate, do you mean wide open or just normal. Wide open could be two or three things causing it. First thing to check in either case would be the accelerator pump. If I were betting, I'd bet this is your problem.

To check it, with the truck off, look down into the carb and slowly open the throttle by hand. You should see two steady streams of gas squirt out into the two front barrels. Now open it quickly and see if it does it. If you have any spots where it don't squirt gas, the pump is bad.

To fix it, buy a rebuild kit and start tearing it apart. Use some good carb dip to clean everything with and put in the new parts. Should be good as new.

Sorry I didn't get back to you in your PM last night, but this answers your question anyway.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 12:50 PM   #4
J-Spec C10
Whats this wire for?....

My EGR valve is new, but I'll check it like you suggest ( ya never know) Also I'll be checking the accelerator pump today. Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it.

BTW could one of you tell me how to add a pic of my truck in the author section?

'82 C10 Resto-Custom--> * 2 1/4" manifold back dual exhaust with Hooker Aerochambers & High Flow Cats *Taylor Ignition Wires *Centerline 15" Telstars with 32"x10" mudders
Old 12-10-2002, 01:14 PM   #5
J-Spec C10
Whats this wire for?....

Swervin Ervin wins the prize!! Ok when I hit the accelerator hard, the gas spurts out in small amounts. Rebuild time.....

Now if I only knew where all the vacuum ports were for.....

Old 12-10-2002, 01:21 PM   #6
PHOENIX

Swervin isnt Weber building the Q-Jets for Edelbrock?

J-Spec hooking up the vacuum lines shouldnt be too hard. Swervin probly has something he could post to show you what each port is for. He helped me one time by posting the instructions that came with his 1904. If you know what your trying to hook up Ill try to tell you what port it should hook to.

My EGR was and still is causing a bog on acceleration. I bought a new EGR and everything. I dont know whats causing it. I just leave it unhooked and its fine. I will hook it back up when emissions comes around. Thought maybe you had the same problem.

J-Spec who are you planning to get to rebuild it?
Old 12-10-2002, 01:30 PM   #7
J-Spec C10
Whats this wire for?....

I will rebuild it. It'll be fun. (*naive smile*) Actually, I 'm pretty good with complex things of this nature, so what the hell, I have 3 more old carbs to try if this one gets messed. I'd switch to one of them but they're alll a little different. For now, thats a mess I'd like to stay away from.
As for the vacuum lines, there is one that I have currently blocked, its at the front near the top, in the center. Sorry no pic right now.

If your truck is still bogging read the suggestions on Swervin's site. It might help.

Old 12-10-2002, 01:56 PM   #8
PHOENIX

Can you post a link to where on his site he talks about the boggin. Thanks!
Old 12-10-2002, 06:44 PM   #9
J-Spec C10
Whats this wire for?....

here you go, there are also other tuning pages:
http://www.73-87.com/garage/damon.htm

Old 12-10-2002, 06:51 PM   #10
PHOENIX

Yeah I seen those pages before, but my problem only happens when the EGR is connected and I couldnt find how that is related.

Truck runs perfectly fine, then hook EGR up and there is lack of acceleration and a mean bog down. I dont understand why.
Old 12-10-2002, 07:00 PM   #11
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Eddie,

maybe you have the wrong type EGR, or it could be you are hooking it to the wrong vacuum source.

1985 Chevy C-10
Old 12-10-2002, 07:35 PM   #12
J-Spec C10
Whats this wire for?....

bought a rebuild kit, tore apart the carb, what a mess... sludge,rust,bad float and broken insert. Where to begin.... top down I guess. I currently have a "K" secondary hanger and DR rods. The GM guy said the hangers are disconnected, anyone have a spare "G" or "B" hanger? or know where I can get one?

Old 12-10-2002, 09:15 PM   #13
85 K5

Edelbrock.com
Old 12-10-2002, 10:02 PM   #14
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Summit or Jeg's sell hangers. I would go with a G. DR rods are some of the best for the street.

Oh, the G hanger you want is made by Edelbrock, number 1961.

1985 Chevy C-10

Last edited by swervin ervin; 12-10-2002 at 10:07 PM.
Old 12-10-2002, 10:21 PM   #15
J-Spec C10
Whats this wire for?....

will the edelbrock hanger fit the rochester carb? If I order it, its kinda mine for good. Sending something that cheap back will cost more in shipping than the cost of the part.

Old 12-10-2002, 10:34 PM   #16
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Yes, the Edelbrock Q-jets are the same as the Rochesters.

If I were you, I would go ahead and order something else to help make the shipping cost less for the hanger. Of course, you will need to know what it is you need.

1985 Chevy C-10
Old 12-11-2002, 01:47 AM   #17
J-Spec C10
Whats this wire for?....

HA HA !!
Shipping is going to be 12 times the cost of the part!! Gonna have to explore the slim pickin's of the Canadian marketplace. Oh well,... at least I have the Part # now.

Old 12-11-2002, 03:18 AM   #18
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Mike- Do they not make a carb kit that has all the rods and stuff like the regular Edelbrock carb kits have?

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 05:35 PM   #19
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Yes Brandon, Edelbrock sells tuning kits that they say are racing kits. It's over a 100 bucks though. Not a good kit for the street anyway.

One thing about Edelbrock's selection of secondary metering rods, they suck. As far as a kit for the street, they don't have any, only rods and hangers. Their selection is limited though. They do have the good B and G hangers for cheap.

1985 Chevy C-10
Old 12-12-2002, 02:24 AM   #20
J-Spec C10
Whats this wire for?....

Ok, so the cleaning process is like 90% of the job... Bought a rebuild manual, man..... it's not as easy as I had originally thought. Sokay tho, I'll get it (I hope) if not the G/F's gonna kill me, dinner this sat......

To Quote Homer: Just a little dirty..it's still good,... it's still good!!

Old 01-02-2003, 01:50 AM   #21
67LongStepside

you guys are forgetting about the carter quadrajet
67LongStepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 01:24 PM   #22
PHOENIX

I didn't even here of Mexico, Missouri. I wonder if that causes problems with police and people without I.D.

Where you from - Mexico, where were you born - Mexico, Do you have a green card - Mexico Missouri you raciest cop!
Old 01-03-2003, 03:48 AM   #23
67LongStepside

LOL ... It never caused problems till about a year ago when the town was over run buy mexicans (with and with out green cards:p ) from god knows where. Anyway btw....
67LongStepside is offline   Reply With Quote