The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2009, 05:19 PM   #1
Daks
I like crayons

American Autowire has a 67-72 "Classic Update" kit now...

I have been mulling over all the different wiring kits out there without making any headways as to what to buy...

Finally, the American Autowire folks have put together what appears to be a pretty complete kit for our truck years... https://0193647.netsolstores.com/ind...D&ProdID=28053

$539 bones is a lot of money compared to a simple EZ Wiring $180 kit, but this looks like a better quality and a more complete kit...

It also appears that there are new connectors used to plug into whatever the wire terminates to, be it headlamps... Horn... Sidemarkers... Whatever. Is that how it reads to everyone?
Daks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:41 PM   #2
stope4

Re: American Autowire has a 67-72 "Classic Update" kit now...

Looks complete, but to do it right, you need to get some 56 series gm connectors and terminals and a crimper. That will cost you another $100.
stope4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:24 PM   #3
LowBow
Self Made Hundredaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daks View Post
It also appears that there are new connectors used to plug into whatever the wire terminates to, be it headlamps... Horn... Sidemarkers... Whatever. Is that how it reads to everyone?
'You�ll find that with our inclusion of all the original style light sockets, connectors, terminals, etc. packed into every aspect of this harness, it makes it the most complete system of it�s type in the industry!'

I think so. And this thing is sweet. I should be getting my tax return this week or next, and I know what I'm buying!

Last edited by LowBow; 02-03-2009 at 06:28 PM.
LowBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:27 PM   #4
LowBow
Self Made Hundredaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by stope4 View Post
Looks complete, but to do it right, you need to get some 56 series gm connectors and terminals and a crimper. That will cost you another $100.
pretty cheap here. First thing that popped up with google.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:47 PM   #5
cparman
sharp as a marble

When I replace the wiring in my 72 2WD blazer I will use M&H wire fabricators. This company and American build wiring harnesses that are terminated. Meaning they have the bulb sockets,connectors, etc so that their harnesses are plug and play. I do not understand why you go to all of the trouble to replace a wiring harness and reuse or splice new sockets,connectors to it. My other thought is that one of the above companies wiring is color coded just as the General made it. SO if you have a problem that trusty old shop manual will let you diagnose what is wrong. On my last car i replaced EVERY harness 1967 Chevelle. M&H did the harnesses. I was popping the wiper fuse. Checked the shop manual and found one wire crossed. As a shop owner I would be slow to take in a car with aftermarket wiring looking for a wiring problem, because of the inability to read a diagram. WHEW, I guess that is my 4 cents worth
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:49 PM   #6
fleetimus

I am reading 69-72???
Old 02-03-2009, 07:09 PM   #7
LowBow
Self Made Hundredaire

you are. hmmm.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:30 PM   #8
stope4

agree with cparman. M&H and American Auto Wire make replacing a harness very easy.

Lowbow, the terminals and connectors are cheap. The good crimpers tend to be expensive. Cheap here too http://www.keefeperformance.com/packard_terminals.html

Last edited by stope4; 02-03-2009 at 09:31 PM.
stope4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:18 AM   #9
ajserra

I have restored several cars and have always used American Auto Wire harnesses. When I heard that they were going to build wiring for our trucks, I contacted them and offered my truck to serve as a model. Since I am local (60 miles) they accepted.
As many of you said, they build a quality product. But the thing that impressed me most is their customer support. Their technical help desk is first rate. This is extremely important for those of us who are not professional mechanics. When you are installing a harness on a vehicle that has some modifications, it's good to know that there is someone who will walk you through the problem.
ajserra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:18 AM   #10
isdeleon

i bought the Highway 22 wiring for my 67, but since i'm now working on the 65 instead, i'm gonna use it on the 65. i guess that was a good thing about a "universal kit". i haven't installed it, but it looks awesome and everything is marked every 2" so i don't think it'll be hard to fix should there be a problem. and also the installation instructions look pretty straightforward. no, this is not a commercial...