The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-05-2009, 02:10 PM   #1
6600DURAMAX

Fuel Line to AN Stainless Line

Want to run Stainless hose from factory fuel tank to carb. How do I transition from the metal line to an AN fitting so I can run my hose?? What size should it be, motor is around 450hp. I was thinking 8AN but will it need to be that big since the metal line out of the factory tank is probably like 3/8''??

thanks guys

Also what type of fuel filter are you running, I was thinking of getting the canister type with the paper filter???

1971 CREWMAX Build.....at body shop for couple more years
6600DURAMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:18 PM   #2
GASWAGON
AMERICAN IRON ADDICT

Re: Fuel Line to AN Stainless Line

A couple of questions to help give the correct answer. 1. What's the displacement and max rpm? 2. Single carb? 3. Mechanical pump or electric? 4. I assumre you are talking about runnig hard line from the tank up to the pump? 5. Is this a street strip truck or just street? I can tell you how to do it, just want to give you the correct advice so I had to ask the questions.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:23 PM   #3
6600DURAMAX

Not a problem I appriciate the help.

468 BBC, max rpm is around 6000-6200, single 750 holley double pumper. Electric Fuel Pump (holley?? ) Street/part time sled pulling truck

Coming off the original tank is a short metal line, maybe 3/8'' ??. Want to run stainlees from there to a canister filter to the pump then up to a regulator ont he fire wall then to the carb.

hope this helps

thanks

1971 CREWMAX Build.....at body shop for couple more years
6600DURAMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:49 PM   #4
pcmcobra

I used some adapters for 3/8 and 5/16. Compression to AN.
Running on on high pressure efi (57psi) no problems.
I think they are russel, search on summit for an tube adapters, get the kind with the brass ferrule.

Miami...Flee it like a native
pcmcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:12 PM   #5
GASWAGON
AMERICAN IRON ADDICT

Allright, The metal line from the sending unit in the tank should be 3/8 as long as it wasn't out of a 6 cylinder truck. You need at least a 3/8 line coming out of the tank. To go from the steel hard line to the AN line there is 2 way's to do it. 1. You can use rubber fuel line and slide it over the end of the sending unit coming out of the tank and clamp it. Then buy a barbed AN fitting that is 3/8 barb to -6 or -8. If your motor is 450hp then you can get away with -6. If you plan future up grades for more power I would go with the -8. The other way is more complicated and expensive. take the sending unit out and remove the factory line. Make a piece of 1/2 alumn. line and install it in the sending unit. Have competent radiator shop solder it to seal it up. Then buy a the AN line to hard line adapter and slide it over the alumn line and tighten it down. Now connect the stainless flex line with normal AN fitting. Next run the an flex hose No more than 2 feet from the tank. Also install a filter before the pump. As for filters you can use the canister one or a inline. Myself I like the inline because you can wash the element and reuse it. Just make sure the filter is rated to flow at least as much as the pump. As for wich pump? I myself like the mallory comp series. I run a comp 250 on my goat and have no issues with it in 9 years of use. If your going to stay at that power level a 140 would work just fine, again if future plans call for more power get a 250. On the larger pumps you will need to run a return line. On the truck I run the line to the fuel filler neck and drill a hole and install a pipe fitting or hose barb. From the pump to the regulator is basic just run the line and secure it away from heat etc. Install a filter before the regulator. As for mounting the regulator Myself I try to stay away from mounting on the firewall because of safety reasons. Most people mount the regulator over the back of the motor near the exhaust or other hot spots. In the event of a leak it can be dangerous. Mount it away from the heat on the inner fender etc. and I like to run 3 port regs. One in line two out so each bowl has its own feed line. It's helps keep pressure spikes from happening when on the street in traffic etc. I would post some pic's of how my car is set up but I can't up load anything on this site for some reason . Hope I answered your question if need more help let me know!
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:52 PM   #6
PhilaTruck
Right on the line, baby!

Doggone! Nice write-up!

Click and scroll down for site vendors!

Subscribe here!
PhilaTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:40 AM   #7
6600DURAMAX