The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-06-2009, 08:20 PM   #1
67chevyguy

more brake questions

Ok, first of all I used the search but after over an hour couldn't find what I was looking for. Few questions.

I'm doing a front drum to disc swap.

1: My ball joints are good and tight still(not original). Do I have to remove the ball joints to get the old steering knuckle off and put the new spindles on, or is there a way to do it while using my old ball joints? I have a ball joint press but I've read that there is no way to remove ball joints without wrecking them.

2: A guy at NAPA mentioned some people make a couple of coils in their hard line to allow some spring in the line. I've seen this in pictures but assumed they just had extra length in the line and didn't want to cut and flare it. Any reasoning behind this?

3: Can I use the power master cylinder from my 67 with a prop vavle for the disk drum set up? I bought it 2 years ago and would rather not replace it. Plus the disk brake kit I have is said to be a complete conversion kit for a 67 but did not come with a master, so I assumed I wouldn't need one.

4: I'm doing all new hard lines, the fronts should be 3/16 and rears 1/4, correct?

Thank you if you took the time to read through all that, and thanks even more if you can help!
67chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:31 PM   #2
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Re: more brake questions

You can use the ball joints.They will probably need new boots if you use a pickle fork to break them loose.SeeTen did a vid and posted it a couple weeks ago,it's pretty simple to release them if you watch it.
The coils in the line are also a mystery to me unless it's for the length issue.
You need a different MC because the calipers have different fluid requirements than drums.
Not sure about the line sizes.I took the lines to the APS and found adapters to mate what I had to what I needed.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:17 PM   #3
67chevyguy

thanks PanelDeland

So I Have to remove the ball joints to get the old steering knuckle off?

I saw the vid you mentioned
I have a good ball joint press to get them in and out fairly easily, will that save having to replace the rubber sleeves? or is there no way to remove them without damaging the balljoint/sleeve?
67chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:57 AM   #4
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

You will not need the press.Once the ball joint seperates(make sure you leave the nut on.Then put a jack under the lower control arm and lift enough to take pressure off the spring.Remove the nut s and lower the jack slowly.You may want to put a chain thru the spring so it doesn't fly out.Once the jack is lowered the spindles will lift right off and the new ones will set right in.
Don't forget to remove the tie rod ends first they will bind stuff up if you don't.Also watch for proper seating of the spring in the Control arm pockets.If you remove them using the SeeTen method you should be able to reuse them but IIRC they only cost me a few dollars and if they are starting to age ...... you don't want to take it back apart to replace them.
Good luck.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"

Last edited by PanelDeland; 02-07-2009 at 08:00 AM.
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:13 AM   #5
70GMCer

Hope I understood your post right, but if you are using 1971 & up "Factory" disk brake spindles, you will have to replace the ball joints & outer tie rod ends.

If you are using "After Market" disk brake spindle kit for your year truck, then no, you can still use your old joints.

The factory 1971 & up uses bigger ball joints & outer tie rod ends.

1965 Mustang

Last edited by 70GMCer; 02-07-2009 at 08:15 AM.
70GMCer is offline   Reply With Quote