The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-06-2009, 10:25 PM   #1
Tantrix

1976 & 1975 Chevy C10: 2 bolts on fuel tank brackets wouldn't line up!

Hi all...long time reader, first-time poster.

I recently acquired a 1976 Chevy C10 long bed, and the gas tank was rusted through on the front bottom area. Well, today I pulled a great looking gas tank from a 1975 C10 for free. I got home and proceeded to install everything (fuel lines, etc) then when I went to put the bolts back into the brackets to mount the tank, all of the bolts lined up except for the 2 top bolts in the front bracket. No matter what I did or how I situated the fuel tank, the 2 top bolts on the front bracket wouldn't ever line up with the holes like they were drilled slightly off-center by about 1/2 inch.

Instead of pulling all the fuel lines again and using the front strap/bracket off of my old tank, I just put all 4 in the rear bracket, the 2 bottom ones in the front bracket and torqued them down.

Am I ok leaving it as it is? I would guess 4 bolts in the rear and 2 bolts in the front is plenty to hold up a 20 gallon fuel tank.

I still can't figure out why the 4 in the rear lined up perfectly and in the front only the 2 bottom ones lined up.

Last edited by Tantrix; 02-06-2009 at 11:43 PM.
Tantrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:50 AM   #2
lvschevytrucks
Unfinished Project Club

Re: 1976 & 1975 Chevy C10 fuel tank brackets different?

did you try to loose the strap around the tank then put your bolts in? then tigten the straps back up. what you have might work, but 20 gals of gas weigh a lot and will pull at those bottom two bolts. I wouldnt trust it.

Handle every Stressful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Pee on it and walk away.

1996 Dodge Intreped ES Nice car great on gas

1993 Jeep Cherokee.

Looking for a swb chevy 73-87
lvschevytrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:59 AM   #3
Tantrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvschevytrucks View Post
did you try to loose the strap around the tank then put your bolts in? then tigten the straps back up. what you have might work, but 20 gals of gas weigh a lot and will pull at those bottom two bolts. I wouldnt trust it.
Well, the problem is there are holes pre-drilled in the frame that the bolts pass through to get to the threads on the brackets. There are 4 in the front, 4 in the rear (4 bolts per strap, 2 straps). Everything is fine except on the front bracket only the 2 bottom bolts line up with the threads in the bracket. If you try to put the bolts in the 2 top holes, you just hit the bracket...the tapped holes with the threads on the bracket aren't lined up with the holes in the frame. It's weird.

If it is fine with only 2 bolts on the front bracket then no big deal, but if I'm risking something breaking loose the only thing I can do is drop the tank and swap the strap/bracket off of my old tank. It's really a pain so I hoped I wouldn't have to but now I'm kind of worried.

Last edited by Tantrix; 02-07-2009 at 01:02 AM.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:17 AM   #4
lvschevytrucks
Unfinished Project Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantrix View Post
Well, the problem is there are holes pre-drilled in the frame that the bolts pass through to get to the threads on the brackets. There are 4 in the front, 4 in the rear (4 bolts per strap, 2 straps). Everything is fine except on the front bracket only the 2 bottom bolts line up with the threads in the bracket. If you try to put the bolts in the 2 top holes, you just hit the bracket...the tapped holes with the threads on the bracket aren't lined up with the holes in the frame. It's weird.

If it is fine with only 2 bolts on the front bracket then no big deal, but if I'm risking something breaking loose the only thing I can do is drop the tank and swap the strap/bracket off of my old tank. It's really a pain so I hoped I wouldn't have to but now I'm kind of worried.
I would try to loosen the strap on the front one completely, then try to line up the bracket, Ive had the same problem before. after you get your bolt in through the frame than tighten your strap back up. you wont need to drop the tank to do it

Handle every Stressful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Pee on it and walk away.

1996 Dodge Intreped ES Nice car great on gas

1993 Jeep Cherokee.

Looking for a swb chevy 73-87
lvschevytrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:48 AM   #5
Tantrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvschevytrucks View Post
I would try to loosen the strap on the front one completely, then try to line up the bracket, Ive had the same problem before. after you get your bolt in through the frame than tighten your strap back up. you wont need to drop the tank to do it
Ah ok yeah I see what you're talking about...loosen the nut on the strap. I'll give that a shot and see what happens...it's driving me crazy.

Thanks for the tip!