The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2009, 02:55 AM   #1
CrazyJesster

Still Stumped

ok well folks im still stumped on a few issues here about my 1982 swb.

i was going to start putting it back together in the fall but other things. happend so on and so forth.

im still rolling alot of ideas through my head im not sure what to do. or if i should do this or if i should do that so many ideas. roll through my head its not even funny hard to really decide.

ive posted a few times what i have basicly an ol 82 swb with no motor

it had a 400 .30 over untill some playing on the street tore it up. but i beat that mustang hehe i gues thats all that matters.

now this 400 is now .60 over with milled heads and a turned crank both .20 over. 480 lunati cam its short blocked right now an thats as far as i ever got. on putting it back together so ive set here on and off thinking what i should do.

i hear alot of people saying that 400 will burn up and run so hot. they run hot i know some about them they didnt last long i think 10 years. when it was 30 over it never ran hot not even once. maybe thats just my luck i dont know. i asked the guy at the machine shop if it whould burn up an he said well the block is ok sonic tested he said. an with the right cooling it should be ok. but i still ponder if its going to burn up or now if its going to run good and strong. and be able to take a few mustangs and camaros on the street. we have alot of mustangs and camaro kids here who think there stuff dont stink.

then there is my brother offering me 1500 for this engine cause he wants it for his wifes firebird. and im still pondering if i should sell it and build me a nice little 383. or do some work on a 350 after seeing a all aluminum 350 sb bored to a 402. in a 72 swb eating a stang and a camaro for lunch and was hungry for alot more. not sure here on really what to do not sure if i have much faith in the 400 or not. im wondering how stout the 400 will be and what it will do. ive got things saying in my head keep it and ive got things saying sell it. and build a fuel injected 383 using the system like TPI or something. i dont know ive seen some guys talking about there carbed out 383s getin 15mpg.

me i whould like to yank a motor out of a camaro LS1 or something and using the. block and heads and ordering a 383 kit or something to that nature.

now if i were to take apart the 400 and used the heads and that 20 over 400 crank. and orderd some rods and pistons and found a 350 block. whould that crank work even though it has been turned ?

like i said i got ideas of selling the 400 and building an then ideas of keeping the 400. and running it in the truck i know lots of neat little things can be done to 350s an stuff. i see alot of them around an i also see alot of 383s around. in even the 3rd gen camaros and S-10s even 98 chevy pick ups.

having a hard time trying to decide here on what to do heh

i had a wild hair here a few months ago and was trying to locate. a tpi system of like the 86 camaros. found a wrecked 86 camaro still had motor an tranny for 500. but called and it was sold i had the wild hair of building a 383 out of the 350 using the TPI system. have even as i stated earlier wanted to use the LS1 intake system. why i dont know i know that fuel injected stuff is very costy. but main thing is here ive got so many ideas for my swb. dunno what to do about the engine or anything got alot of things i want to do to the interior. and outside of the truck its crazy but really not sure on engine things.

maybe some of yall can help me out here
Old 02-07-2009, 07:54 AM   #2
menace121978

Re: Still Stumped

here you go! solve all answer... sell the motor to your buddy and start hunting for a wreaked newer (2001+) 2wd tahoe or better yet esclade w/ iron block 6.0 and take EVERYTHING off. put in your truck... (need '87 tbi fuel pump, 99+ corvette fuel filter, harness work and few odds and ends) easy peasy! LOL

instant 300hp and 16+ mpg!! throw in a decent cam and a hot tune and those mustangs will be showing some respect! LSx POWER!! your buddy might get a little jealous though...

1978 Silverado (2wd, 1/2 ton, short bed)complete nut & bolt frame off restomod LQ9/4L80E
MY LS SWAP/FRAME OFF BUILD BOOK

2006 TBSS way too much to list
menace121978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:47 PM   #3
CrazyJesster

is that what you run i mena i have a daily driver an 01 z71 still pay for it.

i just think something a little hot with some mpg be good. its not a needy thing what if i could find a wrecked pick up with. one of the 5.3s in it and did some work to it.

i should bought that camaro for 500 an whould have had a good deal.

Last edited by CrazyJesster; 02-08-2009 at 12:57 PM.
CrazyJesster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:34 PM   #4
CrazyJesster

maybe im not making any sence here i dont know. im trying to decied on what to do. thoguht maybe id post an get some ideas.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:46 PM   #5
chevyrestoguy

All the old-wives tales about the 400 small block are all BS. I have had dozens of them (I love 'em) and never had one run hot. If they're built correctly, they'll romp all over a 383 or a 350. They are all about torque, so build them accordingly. At 6200 rpm, they are about done, and how often do you ever take your engine that high?

I also like the idea of going late-model, but it takes money. If you're looking to get the truck on the road with what you've got, finish the 400. You can always go with the late model conversion down the road when you've got the money to do it right. Like menace121978 said, buy it all at once because it will save you a bunch in the long run.
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 02:00 PM   #6
Red_69

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy View Post
All the old-wives tales about the 400 small block are all BS. I have had dozens of them (I love 'em) and never had one run hot. If they're built correctly, they'll romp all over a 383 or a 350. They are all about torque, so build them accordingly. At 6200 rpm, they are about done, and how often do you ever take your engine that high?

I also like the idea of going late-model, but it takes money. If you're looking to get the truck on the road with what you've got, finish the 400. You can always go with the late model conversion down the road when you've got the money to do it right. Like menace121978 said, buy it all at once because it will save you a bunch in the long run.
I agree. I have a 406 in my '69 Chevelle that dynoed at 465 hp and 500 lb ft of torque and drove it about 1200 miles on Hot Rod Power Tour in 93 degree weather with almost 100% humidity pushing 3500 rpm for hours at a time with no problems.

Also, not to burst you bubble but I wouldn't waste your time and money on a TPI system. All the fun's over by 4000 rpm. JMHO
Old 02-08-2009, 02:06 PM   #7
CrazyJesster

well my 400 when it was 30 over never got hot. at all an i ran the piss out of it alot

im also wondering how well it will run. and what it will do now with whats done to it.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:22 PM   #8
sierra4x4

I would stick with the 400. Those things are torque monsters! Don't forget to use heads with the steam holes or it will run hot.
sierra4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:22 PM   #9
PhilaTruck
Right on the line, baby!

Stay with the 400. Mine runs just where I want, 170*.

It's the 060 I'd be worried about, but if it tested OK- should be so.

Awesome torque curves. Check this out: It's post 87

And that's on a Q-jet and so-so intake.

Click and scroll down for site vendors!

Subscribe here!
PhilaTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:29 PM   #10
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra4x4 View Post
I would stick with the 400. Those things are torque monsters! Don't forget to use heads with the steam holes or it will run hot.
I agree. Probably 95% of the 400's that ran too hot had aftermarket heads or headgaskets with no steamholes. They can't be all bad, they did make them for 10 years, and likely only stopped because of emissions reasons. I loved the 400 in my 87 and I hope to (cost is a factor) get one for my 78 soon. My old 400 never overheated on a 95 degree day in traffic with a 5000lb trailer in tow. I did have a 4-row radiator though and the stock heads.
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:45 PM   #11
CrazyJesster

i had a buddy who was real big into alot of this stuff. very smart person in engines and in guns also. before my motor had to go .60 over he told me. i should destroke the 400 into what i believe was a 377 using a 350 crank?

he said they are really nasty and wrap up fast beeing it whould be a short stroked motor. that was the plans we had talked about doing to it. he worked at a machiene shop here in town. that was when it was still 30 over and when he was still alive. anyway enough of that its got me thinking about him now

he had a 81 long bed with a stroked 305 in it i think maybe he said it was a 355? not sure that thing was a bit wild thats for sure

Last edited by CrazyJesster; 02-08-2009 at 10:46 PM.
CrazyJesster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:08 AM   #12
CrazyJesster

ive also had the crazy idea of trying to figure out a way. how to take a turbo off one of the 80 model chevy diesels. and trying to make it work or figuring out a way to make it work some how. could there be a possible way to do that ?
Old 02-09-2009, 11:04 AM   #13
PhilaTruck
Right on the line, baby!

I wouldn't without master welding skills. (I'm not.) There are other DIY turbo "kits" you could use. Here's a link to a home-made SBC twin turbo.

I would also suggest you make a plan. What do you want to get out of it, money to spend on it, time. Then you can lay all the ideas out and make a good decision.

It would be hard for anyone to give specific advice without more info.

With that info added, you also might get better responses from the Engine forum. You can PM Rusty, (the MOD) to request having it moved.

Click and scroll down for site vendors!

Subscribe here!
PhilaTruck is offline   Reply With Quote