The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2009, 06:21 PM   #1
Vixvega

Probably a dum question,,, BUT......

Hey guys,,,, I live in the great white north,,, I have a 77 shorty stepside that I bought up from N.C. last May... It was about 5 to 10 below zero last week and to my horror I went into the garage and pulled the cover back and found that both heater hoses and the small crossover hose on the intake of my very healthy 402 were verry slushy/frozen.. the temps stayed in the teens to single digits at night and the hoses stayed very full of slushy to semi hard ice... I pulled the radiator cap off and nothing but slush and ice... A LOT of ICE. I figured the engine and everything else was junk.. Cover went back on and suicide was contemplated.. Last night(Friday) the temps rose into the high 30s. I went out this morning dropped the truck off the jack stands tossed the charger onto it and went to work fully expecting the worst.

I got home about 1 this afternoon. the temp was 50 and the battery was full, pumped the gas 2 times, turned the key and the frigging thing fired up and idled at 1200 without missing a beat.. It was bizarre to grab the crossover on the intake and feel slush in it with the motor running, bought it up to 180 and no loss of oil pressure and no pudding in the oil pan or a puddle underneath....

Checked the antifreeze with my tester and it showed good to -25.

What? Why or should I just change the oil and drive it in the spring...

I think I dodged a bullet somehow.

Last edited by Vixvega; 02-07-2009 at 06:24 PM. Reason: I can't spell.
Vixvega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:56 PM   #2
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Re: Probably a dum question,,, BUT......

Vix, Your tester might be OTL (out to lunch) get a new one. Drain the coolant, replace it with fresh mixed 60\40. That should get you -30b easy. Change the oil and filter and use it. I live in the great whit north too. Pressure test it to make sure you didn't pop a frost plug. I doubt it, they usually got to freeze pretty solid for that to happen. You got lucky. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:57 PM   #3
Vixvega

It held presure and still is.... That's what I was planning on,,, the old coolant is definitely coming out as is the oil and filter... I just did the crawl under and all the plugs are intact...Thanks for the response...
Old 02-08-2009, 12:38 AM   #4
shadetree

I've had old antifreeze mix gel up on me. I agree, you really got lucky, don't tempt fate, get that coolant out soon.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:19 AM   #5
fast75
Go Hard or Go Home!

coolant and oil are cheap my friend.

2008 Dodge crew cab. YEAH, it's got a hemi, your ass is going to jail quick.

Some day's, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints................................
fast75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:59 AM   #6
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

There is a difference between a Core plug and a Freeze plug

A Chevy block doesn't have "freeze plugs". They a simply casting core mount holes. They are not placed where they would do any good in a frozen coolant situation. The ones on the sides of the block are about half-way up the cylinders, leaving the tighter areas near the top and bottom alone, this would not help with freezing.

Freeze, freeze-out, and frost plug are pet peeves of mine.....can you tell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
us111

hello from ohio.believe it or not had the same thing happen
to mine during that freeze.running it up and down drive to keep
it open and it overheated after putting new rad,waterpump,thermo
in over summer.parked it figured i would start with thermostat.took rad cap off next day nothing but ice!only thing i could figure must have boiled enough
anti freeze out to let it freeze up.anyhow changed thermosat,new antifreeze,oil been good to go so far.
us111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:20 PM   #8
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Hay Long hair, your right but this is what everyone and their grandmother calls them. I have seen them poped out by ice before. As to wheather they helped preserve the block from damage is something only God knows, I danm sure don't. LOLL. Jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:24 PM   #9
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

I forgot something, heck, everyone who responded to Vix forgot something. Hay Vix, listen up. There isn't such a thing as a dumb question. Better to ask than go off half cocked, thats dumb. Jim
Old 02-08-2009, 07:38 PM   #10
Vixvega

It just seemed so weird.... I check the fluids religiously in the hot rods. Both were sitting on jackstands minding their own business covered up and with plastic on the floor. It has been bloody damn cold here, actually colder than it has been since the mid 1970s and we have had almost 180 inches of snow....

It really was unexpected to find the mess that I did and I was fully expecting the worst...

Truck fired right up today in the 36 degree cold and ran up to temp and held pressure...

I loosened the petcock on the radiator and dumped it doewn to about 1/3rd full and refilled with straight anti freeze and ran it back up to temp.

I'll tell you all one thing. Never believe a tester and always, ALWAYS trust your eyes that there is enough coolant/anti freeze in your stuff if you live northward.

That was a truly lousy feeling.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:50 PM   #11
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Vix. I just noticed where your from. Erie PA. My best friends family lives there. You know anyone named Brown? Anyway, colder tan a dead witches tit here too. Lots of snow on top of that. I hate winter. Where testers are concerned I have 2 different types. One is a hydrometer type and the other is an optical type. I use both every time I winterize. Also, I installed pet cocks on either side of the eng block where the plugs were. I drain everything, flush and then refill. I also premix the coolant and test it before I put it in and I fill the recovery bottle with straight antifreeze. Jim
Old 02-08-2009, 08:46 PM   #12
Vixvega

I graduated grade school with a Brown. Other than that not familiar with that family/name.

Thanks for all the replies, I hope that ends the freeze mess.

BTW: Nice house for sale here in Erie, PA.

My ass is heading south!!!!! LOL.

Last edited by Vixvega; 02-08-2009 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:48 PM   #13
BLE 'BURBAN
In the Forgotten far North.

Yep no such thing as a dumb question. Only non inquisitive idiots.

After all how you gonna learn if'n ya don't ask?
overhead console Stereo install Round 2 Aug 2009
Heated/turn signal mirror upgrade

Last edited by BLE 'BURBAN; 02-08-2009 at 09:49 PM.
BLE 'BURBAN is offline   Reply With Quote