The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2009, 10:06 PM   #1
fedmen

reliability

so i want my 1987 chevy c10 to be reliable on a long hall. i'm talking drive 1000 miles one way and turn around and come back with no problems. also i would like to still have some good power and get from point a to point b quickly if need be. so how can i make this happen? i really don't know where to start. what do you guys think?
fedmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:56 PM   #2
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Re: reliability

Well,

All I can tell ya is what I do....

Start at the front and work your way to the rear, When I buy another vehicle I check EVERYTHING. Replace all hoses (fuel and water) & belts (save old ones for spares) check the brake linings & re-pack/replace wheel bearings, Check/replace u-joints, service trans and give the engine a full tune-up & oil change service.

I never road trip without my trusty toolbox, Gallon of water/antifreeze, The take-off hoses and belts, Quart of oil and trans fluid. Check the air in all tires including spare then make sure the jack works properly and all parts are accounted for.

Maybe this gives some ideas.... I'd rather be anyplace beside broke down on the side of the road out of town/between towns.....

Good Luck on your trip !
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:13 AM   #3
lvschevytrucks
Unfinished Project Club

your off to a great start with an 87 CHEVY, I have one and she never left me at the side of the road. Just regular mantance, is all I ever did to her....thats why shes getting a frame off, Cant wait till I get her done

Handle every Stressful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Pee on it and walk away.

1996 Dodge Intreped ES Nice car great on gas

1993 Jeep Cherokee.

Looking for a swb chevy 73-87
lvschevytrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:43 AM   #4
chevymotocross

Check and tune up the obvious things as was already stated. You are off to a good start with an 87 since it has the ultra reliable TBI. Carbs are good too but I always had better reliability from my trusty tbi.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:57 AM   #5
dammitmitchell
the pollock

id let her "just run" in the driveway for a while.. at least thirty minutes... to make daaaang sure that it wont just randomly over heat.
and then check plugs wires cap n rotor belt Oh dear god take an extra set of belts with you always.. i keep mine under the seat so they never go anywhere without me..
wouldt kill you to spend the time on a hard core radiator flushes..

that's my "typical" pre long haul maintanance.. OH wind shield wipers! bang!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=343538
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=386042
dammitmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:23 AM   #6
f.monroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedmen View Post
so i want my 1987 chevy c10 to be reliable on a long hall. i'm talking drive 1000 miles one way and turn around and come back with no problems. also i would like to still have some good power and get from point a to point b quickly if need be. so how can i make this happen? i really don't know where to start. what do you guys think?
First let me say Welcome to the Board from Tx . Second , If the truck runs good and you want a little more pep , look at the rear gears . Many 87's came with a 2.76 rear and overdrive . You wont hurt the mileage at all if you upgrade to 3.42's and it will probably get better in town mileage . It will be quicker from light to light also . If the engine isnt running properly , rebuild or replace it . As stated above , repack the bearings , change the diff fluid , check/change belts , hoses ,brakes, filters . That wiill get it ready but it is still a mechanical machine and can break at any time . In that case , be prepared if it does with tools , liquids, belts , etc.
Frank
Old 02-08-2009, 01:04 PM   #7
Dooley

For the record there were no C10's in 1987. If the truck is an 87 half ton 2wd then it is a R10.
Dooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:24 PM   #8
powerdriver 1958
Kid's Mechanic

It would help to know a little about your ride,mileage,condition.New to you or not.any known problems
powerdriver 1958 is offline   Reply With Quote