The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-09-2009, 02:24 PM   #1
jdurant

I've been thinking...Opinions/Advice Please

I've been busy working on my house, so I haven't spent alot of time on the board this year. Trying to get some stuff (a real shop is my next step) done, so I can work on my projects throughout the summer. Anyway, been thinking of taking on yet another project.
I have really been loving the 73-79s lately. And been thinking a stepside would be super cool. If I were to ever build a "sport" truck, it would be on that platform. I could finally put those 17" or 18" shelby wheels I've been pushing so hard, bucket seats, console, manual of course, mild static drop. Keep it very very simple. S10fan's truck did alot for me. I've also been thinking how nice a smaller, lighter, little gas saver would be. By the way, how much would a typical stripped down stepside weigh?
With that in mind, I was thinking a very mildly modified fuel injected 4.3/5-speed. Or even better, but I don't know much about these, a straight six. But a with a 5 speed. Is that possible? Would it work for what I want? Is it viable option at all? Tinker with it and make it handle. Then one day after I am done with my other projects and am looking for something to work on--put a different power plant and make it haul a$$.
Wouldn't that be nice to have before gas prices go back up for the summer.
It just so happens that I've had my eye on this truck a few blocks down the road from me. Its a perfect candidate and the guy saw me at a local hardware store in my blazer and asked if I knew anybody looking for a stepside.

There it sits, fairly straight, interior somewhat there, new wood in bed, pass fender has a hole--the only rust I've seen, the cab and rockers in good shape. Rolling. No motor.
I think he might be interested in trading the truck for the those Iroc wheels that I still have laying around. So it might not cost me a dime. I did an olive green photoshop the other day. I'll post later when I get home.
What do you think?
87 GMC Sierra SWB
82 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd

Last edited by jdurant; 02-09-2009 at 02:56 PM.
jdurant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:53 PM   #2
killthewabbit
Spear and magic helmet!

Re: I've been thinking...Opinions/Advice Please

Shoot, I would do it. Do you know if the stepside is currently running?
Old 02-09-2009, 02:53 PM   #3
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

If I were in your shoes and he'd take the wheels in trade, I'd be ALL over it like flies on stink !

As for a powerplant, Different strokes for different folks but a 6 with stick could make it a fun daily driver....

Good Luck
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:22 PM   #4
PhilaTruck
Right on the line, baby!

Killthewabbit: There was text below the pic. It's a roller.

jdurant: In the past two years I read lots of informal surveys on the board about gas mileage and one thing that stuck out was that the 6s don't necessarily get great mileage.

For mileage, I'd recommend a smaller (305 or 350) with an economy tuned build, with a 5 speed, should net you decent mileage. I used to get well over 20 HWY with my 305 with an RV cam, headers & true duals, and 2.73 rear.

Or you could drop in an LS1.

Either way, if I had some aluminum doorstops laying around, a hankering to build something, and a place to build it, I would trade them for that short steppy in a heartbeat.

Click and scroll down for site vendors!

Subscribe here!
PhilaTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:24 PM   #5
killthewabbit
Spear and magic helmet!

I must be going blind or something.

Anyway, I'd still do it.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:00 AM   #6
84 400
Sb 400 club

Wow haven't you wnated that truck for a long time???? I thought I remered you posting about it a while back.

I would defiantly trade. Worst case toss in a motor and resell. 2wd steppers are the ultimate sport truck to me. and the 73-79's are just down right classy.

Also A I 6 would be a cool motor. as long as it is not the intigral head one. I have seen some built with a cam and offy 4 bbl intake that haul !!!
1980 Corvette L-48 4 speed
1992 Mustang GT built 5.0 5 speed

1985 C10 LWB Sold
1982 K10 SWB plow truck Parted out
1986 D30 M1028 fire brush truck Parted out
84 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:30 PM   #7
jdurant

When I got home I had no internet connection, so I couldn't post my photoshop. Anyway, yeah, I have been eyeballing this truck for awhile. I took this pic a couple of months ago to post in that patina thread. The guy had it running then and has since pulled the motor and put in like an 85 fleetside because he likes the late models more. Oh well--good for me.

PhilaTruck--that has stuck out to me too. That's kinda why I'm asking. I think the I6 would be way cooler and possibly cheaper, but the 4.3 might be a better choice. I have never seen an I6 mated to a five speed. Is it possible? Are parts hard to find? Has anybody done something like this? I figure there must be some reason. When they were used, fuel consumption really wasn't a factor, so you always se a three speed with low gears. You couldn't get good mileage with an ecotec like that.
My first truck was a single cab long wheel base 93 cheyenne wt. It had a 4.3/5speed, and I have never been able to get as good of gas mileage with a v8 as I did in that truck.
87 GMC Sierra SWB
82 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd
Old 02-10-2009, 12:56 PM   #8
silvereagle07

jdurant I would jump on that in a minute! As for the engine though a mild smallblock V8 with a decent gear and 5 speed might be the way to go. I6's and 4.3's could get expensive. Small block parts are a dime a dozen. Check out prices on the 260hp GM crate engine. Inexpensive and reliable. JMO

'84 GMC project truck
'85 Chevy 4X4 SOLD
'07 Chevy Trailblazer SS

5th Annual SHPHC Car/Truck Show Pics
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543605 UPDATED PICS! CHECK 'EM OUT
silvereagle07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:52 PM   #9
PhilaTruck
Right on the line, baby!

I just remembered this site. Here's an answer to the I6 question.

There was also a very good recent thread detailing a t5 swap. Oh, wait. Here it is.

Subscribe here!
Old 02-10-2009, 09:19 PM   #10
Scootin 81 C20
3/4 Ton Rodder

I say jump on it. It sounds like one helluva project. But as far as a possible 4.3 setup, I have something to say. My dad has a 1998 Blazer that has a 4.3 in it and it is beginning to become a pain in the a$$. It has a misfire that comes and goes and it stutters while driving it. So what I have to say is, "stay as far away from 4.3s as possible." I think a supercharged 3.8 from a Firebird with a 5 speed would be your best bet for power/mileage. I have a supercharger from a GTP 3.8, but I don't know what to do with it.

Thanks
Benjamin.

1989 Chevy Silverado K2500: All Stock (For Now), 350 TBI/700R4. DD/Light Duty Toy.
Scootin 81 C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:37 PM   #11
jdurant

PhilaTruck-thanks, there is definately some useful info in there. I have spent the better part of the morning following links and feel like I know the right path to making that combo work. I think there was one guy who put a 5 speed on an early model I6, but no follow up info. So I still have some research to do.
I'm gonna be searching this forum for info, but does anybody have a good source of info on later model I6s--might save me some time. Or am I confused? Most of the info I have seen is for pre 63 inliners.

Scootin--I am unaware of any firebird that came with a supercharged 3.8. Maybe you were telling me to put your gtp blower on a 3.8 out of a firebird. Will that work? Anyway if I were gonna do anything like that, I would definately go with what I know--a TurboBuick LC2 would fit the bill. Don't think that hasn't crossed my mind. Maybe down the road but, for now I am looking for cheap and simple.
87 GMC Sierra SWB
82 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd
Old 02-11-2009, 12:39 PM   #12
boatpuller

shoot man.......if you can trade for some wheel's collecting dust.i say do it.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:33 PM   #13
maxreps

Go ahead and get it, all the cool kids are getting 73-79 stepsides!! (at least that is what I was told when the guy took my money almost 2 weeks ago for mine)
Attached Images

maxreps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:30 PM   #14
dammitmitchell
the pollock

dude get it get it!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=343538
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=386042
dammitmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:45 AM   #15
jared78

yeah man, I'd go ahead and do it. But I'd steer you towards a mild v8. It will get you just as good fuel milage, be cooler, and cheeper on you to build. The 5 speed and rear gear are the key to milage(if you're into that kind of thing). And with the money you save on not doing the 6 cylinder, you'll be well on your way to buying a fleetside bed. lol...
jared78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:14 PM   #16
jdurant

Well, the guy sold it out from under me. I couldn't ever catch him at home, to see if he had decided. I had all but decided I would go ahead and buy it if he didn't want to trade. When I finally caught up with him, he told me he has already sold it to a buddy. I'm pretty bummed out about it.
Oh well--heres the photoshop I promised.
87 GMC Sierra SWB
82 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd
Old 02-17-2009, 12:24 AM   #17
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdurant View Post
Nice work on the chop job. Too bad they don't make that wheel in a 20"....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:52 AM   #18
andrewmp6

Yeah get the truck and go for it.I will warn you tho the vortec 4.3 i had in a blazer got about the same mpg as the tpi 350 i had in a camaro.The stick will help but will still be the same mpg as a v8.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:57 AM   #19
f.monroe

Quote:
Well, the guy sold it out from under me. I couldn't ever catch him at home, to see if he had decided. I had all but decided I would go ahead and buy it if he didn't want to trade. When I finally caught up with him, he told me he has already sold it to a buddy. I'm pretty bummed out about it.
That is a nice looking chop . There are many cool things about that truck , stance , wheel/tire combo , color is awesome , and the look on folks faces when they see you in a right hand drive truck here in Tx., priceless . Just kidding about the right hand drive .

That would have been a cool build so keep looking and I am sure another stepper will show up .
Frank
Old 02-17-2009, 01:50 AM   #20
jdurant

N2TRUX--yeah, they are kinda huge. I always get carried away while in photoshop. 17s would be fine. You'll see. I'm putting those on a square body sooner or later!
Frank--Thanks. I did that because I had to flip the grille from another truck at the opposite angle to get the aspect right and insert it on this truck. Then it was easier to just flip the whole pic than the chevy logo. It's strange how if the bowtie is off just a degree, it will ruin everything. The whole thing looks wrong.
87 GMC Sierra SWB
82 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd
Old 02-17-2009, 09:02 AM   #21
PhilaTruck
Right on the line, baby!

Sorry to hear about that one. There's a better one around the corner.

Subscribe here!
Old 02-17-2009, 09:04 AM   #22
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

You didn't get carried away. you nailed it. That tire/wheel combo looks great, and I am very serious when I say it too bad they don't make them in a 20.

I think they would look good on a black fleetside too....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:41 AM   #23
jdurant

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
You didn't get carried away. you nailed it. That tire/wheel combo looks great, and I am very serious when I say it too bad they don't make them in a 20.

I think they would look good on a black fleetside too....
I might have one of those laying around.
87 GMC Sierra SWB
82 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd
Old 02-17-2009, 09:43 AM   #24
Cherub

Quote:
Me and my neighbor have been playing with the idea of painting my truck the lexus green color (Verdigris Mica). but man i love that color you have there.
Cherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:53 AM   #25
jdurant

Thanks. The truck was originally red. I would probably call it an olive green. I think it would look pretty good with a white roof, or maybe grey to match the wheels. If you want it. Take it.
87 GMC Sierra SWB
82 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd