The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-11-2009, 12:19 AM   #1
greenhorn male

Picture of lumber rack on your truck please

Can anyone post some pics of a 67-72 with a lumber rack?
I'd also like to see trucks with a tool box.
Thanks!

Last edited by greenhorn male; 02-11-2009 at 12:31 AM.
greenhorn male is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:06 AM   #2
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Re: Picture of lumber rack on your truck please

I have a '70 C-20 with a plumber's pipe rack and vice. That's about as close as I can get!
Attached Images

'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:02 AM   #3
67CHIP72
STOLEN

This is a pic of my old truck with racks my grandfather made a long time ago. special-K has some good pics if you pm him.
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2009, 02:47 AM   #4
greenhorn male

67 C30, I just installed something similar to that one but not as tall. It sits straight like that one so the front overhang is wider than the cab. The thing I like about the one I got is, it comes apart for easy removal, storage or one man installation. I'm not too crazy about how it is wider than the cab, but I guess it would make a good grab rail

67CHIP72 that's a nice heavy gauge rack which looks like it is even easier to take apart and store than what I have now.

Thanks for posting some pics guys, I am more interested in the racks that go over the cab. Hopefully special-k sees this. Maybe others have pics.

Anyone have the tubular type racks like rack-it?

Last edited by greenhorn male; 02-11-2009 at 02:48 AM. Reason: typo correction
greenhorn male is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:21 PM   #5
special-K
Special Order

I like racks that can haul whatever you can get on them.So,I weld them up out of heavy gauge steel tube.I started with round pipe with all those fish mouths and swithed to square,it`s plenty strong.I try to be minimal,yet fill the bill for fulltime use.They stand on 3 pcs of angle along the bed top.They angle in to be nearer the width of the top.The side rails are about 4" and plumb verticle.The most minimal rack I made just had the platform with 2" of verticle tube in each rear corner,4" verticle at front of bed,then just 30" lengths angling down to the platform frontwards & rearward for side rails.i also made the rear legs 1 1/2" shorter.I only made the platform 11',12' is normal.I always put expanded steel across the front,too.I had the last couple powdercoated.These racks last forever.

Round w/taller sides.My first set:

Square,part primered.Originally made for an`84,they exchange:

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 02-11-2009 at 12:24 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:36 PM   #6
special-K
Special Order

Just for kicks,here are the same two racks on other trucks...1st,the round racks and tool boxes on a`78 Dooley after I removed them from the`71:

After the`78 the racks got converted to fit an 8' Reading utility body:

The square racks on the`84 I originally made them for:

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 02-11-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:49 PM   #7
GOPAPA

You build them to last just like the Chevy trucks ..good looking trucks except for that blue and white one ..LOL j/k looks like mine except all grown up into a 4/4 and long bed.. I had a rack on my 92 Chev truck but sold it with the truck and thought I was retired ,,I need it once in awhile .. also them bridge planks ,,could use them too..
GOPAPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:10 PM   #8
special-K
Special Order

I have a rack built (posts in the ground) to store all that stuff.i wish it could stay thre every time I load it there.It never used to come home.That square rack I`ve had around for many years.In`92 I made a new rack since the beds tapered and it was a brand new truck.That got powdercoated.And,those are the tool boxes off the gold`84;

Those ended up getting adapted to a utility body for a`95.had to take the powdercoat off and powdercoated another color;

That truck ended up upside down on the racks:

Tim

Old 02-11-2009, 03:40 PM   #9
GOPAPA

Great looking racks ,,but you showed us so many trucks I got fused.. Which ones are still yours and which ones are not .. that first green one is like my truck only mine was blue and a 92 ,,did you take the long bed off of it and put a utility bed on?
And lastly ,,YOU KNEW that some one would ask how the heck did you got that truck thats all lbent up to turn up side down for you ,, LOL Good looking work trucks Tim ,,something I neve had ..with a rack and tool boxes and all..

Sorry Greenhorn male ;;this is not a Chevy but it is a make shift rack I came up with wehn building pole barns and hauling metal one day ..LOL

Last edited by GOPAPA; 02-11-2009 at 03:47 PM. Reason: spelling as usual
Old 02-11-2009, 04:06 PM   #10
pcorriveau951

Special-K what size are those tires on that blue/white 71/72 truck you posted?
pcorriveau951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:07 PM   #11
special-K
Special Order

That blue & white K/20 had 285/75 x 16s on 8" rims.I think it sat about 2" over stock.

I`m confused,too.All those trucks and only three different racks from 25 years to present.The only truck I still have is the Woodland Green`92 GMC.It now has a steel shell (Reading) on it.I hit a slick spot and that truck went into a slide with the passenger side leading the way,hit an oncoming car,went airborn over the car and landed upside down facing the way I came.It was a bad scene.They had just cleared a wreck and the road had something greasy on it.

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 02-12-2009 at 05:59 AM.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:26 PM   #12
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
That blue & white K/20 had 285/75 x 16s on 8" rims.I think it sat about 2" over stock.

I`m confused,too.All those trucks and only two different racks from 25 years to present.The only truck I still have is the Woodland Green`92 GMC.It now has a steel shell (Reading) on it.I hit a slick spot and that truck went into a slide with the passenger side leading the way,hit an oncoming car,went airborn over the car and landed upside down facing the way I came.It was a bad scene.They had just cleared a wreck and the road had something greasy on it.
I may sound like a kid in a candy store ,,but I would really like to own a blue and white 4/4 just like the one you had ..I guess because it's my favorite two tone and it would sure go good with my 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive of the same color.. Where did that blue and white one get off too ..
Old 02-12-2009, 12:28 AM   #13
Rack Man

Old 02-12-2009, 02:51 AM   #14
greenhorn male

Thanks for posting pics guys. Looks like if I'm going to haul anything substantial, I may need taller top posts or weld a top rail over the posts. I currently have 3-1/4" vertical posts in each corner. A 2" square tube should bring the height to 5-1/4". Luckily my first haul will only be base board moulding.

Special-K do all your racks have the center cross bar? I don't see them on construction trucks over here but it seems like a good thing to have specially when hauling flimsy stuff like moulding or corrugated roofing. Nice trucks and truck racks, by the way. I like how you use your trucks like trucks. If I could weld well, I would make one too but I'm afraid it would look like a bad "bondo" job.

How far did you haul that load on the blue and white truck?
Old 02-12-2009, 06:27 AM   #15
special-K
Special Order

That looks like a strong rack on that truck,Rack Man.
That`s a fairly light load up there.when I set up on a big job I carry 1@ 30',24',20',18' walkboards,4 24' & 2 18' aluminum pump-jack poles,1@ 40',32',and two 24' ladders.
I do use a center cross bar at the center of the bed and none are removable.That gets asked about more than anything else.I`ve never regretted it.I don`t haul refigerators or anything that wouldn`t fit.The racks can be removed if need be,too.When sliding something onto the rack,it`s nice to not have to extend 8' over the bed before you can rest on the rack(other than the rear bar.Also,sometimes I need to climb up there and I can step from cross bar to cross bar if I need to.I`ve had some heavy and long loads of lumber and never had one bend.
Larry,that truck is in the hands of a friend who bought it last spring.I didn`t want to let it go.I never saw another like it,all original paint Highlander loaded with options.Having a shortbed 2wd cruiser and a K/20 bruiser is my idea of a perfect pair. You like things to match?Do you and you wife wear matching jackets when you go out?

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 02-12-2009 at 06:35 AM.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:17 AM   #16
GOPAPA

Larry,that truck is in the hands of a friend who bought it last spring.I didn`t want to let it go.I never saw another like it,all original paint Highlander loaded with options.Having a shortbed 2wd cruiser and a K/20 bruiser is my idea of a perfect pair. You like things to match?Do you and you wife wear matching jackets when you go out?[/QUOTE]

I have never seen a k/20 blue and white truck in my neck of the woods ,,I don't believe ever ,,if I ever do I probably would morgage something and give the guy what ever for it to bring it home with me ..
I really like the middle cross bar on a rack and it is good to step on if needed while up on the load..
That over hang is more than I have seen in awhile and need to ask,, is it within the laws of your country or do you just do it anyway and so far have not been pulled over for it ?
You call them walk boards ,I call them bridge planks ,,difference in the miles between us I guess.. Interesting and makes no difference ,,same thing I guess.. and no the wife and I do not wear matching nothing , I would forbid it as it to me looks like some one is hen picked .. did you wear them sweat shirts that read this is Stupid and this is Stupids wife,,huh ah ! not for me .. LOL
Old 02-12-2009, 09:35 AM   #17
dieselarmy13
Phone's ringin Dude.

Hopefully they don't mind me posting this. This is Thorebeck Bros. shop truck. This thing is bad.

2003 SILVERADO SS--THE NEW GIRL

1972 GMC--THE OLD GIRL
dieselarmy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:42 AM   #18
special-K
Special Order

That`s cool.I always thought about a slammed work truck.People would be walking into things at chest level instead or hitting their heads.When I went to the blue 2wd Dooley I noticed people couldn`t walk under it.

I think we are allowed 3' front and back.I worried enough about it to build this truck:

That`s an 11' bead and the rack is 15'.My 30 footer was legal on that truck.We call them walkboards and the old guys called them "picks".I do see them used alot under bridges.That`s probably what they call them in hiway and commercial work around here,too.It seemed only the aluminum siding guys ever used these on residential work until recent years.Wood siding was always by the carpenters and they`d build scaffold off the walls with 2x.Painters use ladders.
There`s some differences in terms from east to west,that`s or sure.Not too many,though.Hey,I called the thing on my`92 a "shell" when we call them "caps" around here and around there you call`em "canopies" or "campers" and some call them "toppers".We mount them on our "beds" and some mount them on their "boxes".
I`ve seen some other blue`n`white 4wds around.Hey,why not start a "Let`s see 2-tone blue & white K/20s or longbed K/10s with the white in the middle and on top like my shortbed from the NW that might be for sale" thread?Or,could be less speific.

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 02-14-2009 at 08:10 AM.