The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-11-2009, 10:54 PM   #1
joekewl_chevyfreak

Need Help On A Dodge ASAP Please

I'm finally nearing the end of gettin my Dodge running, and the wiper motor went bad (I think) the fluid still works, so i figured it wasn't the switch, Now I know that this year dodge's have ground problems with the switches but I dont think that is the problem. What I am asking is if anyone has any diagrams or knowledge on the wires that go to the motor and or the switch?
It is an 87 Dodge Ram 150. I want to check if im gettin power to the motor before I get a new one. Also, I have a spare wiper motor that is in an RV, a Chevy RV that is located under the dash, inside the cab, just as are these trucks, my dodge however is under the hood, I am asking what kind of customizing will i need to do if I do plan to use this motor? (I will most likely get a new motor) I need to get this checked out and fixed before friday, being that we were planning on getting it insured so I can (After Two Years) finally drive it >_<. Please help, any insight will be apreciated.

'87 Dodge D150, 318 auto stock; D.D.

God meant for rubber to be burnt, not for an ear of corn

Myspace
joekewl_chevyfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:29 PM   #2
joekewl_chevyfreak

Re: Need Help On A Dodge ASAP Please

Anyone?

Myspace
Old 02-11-2009, 11:47 PM   #3
Bus Ted Knuckle
Son of a gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by joekewl_chevyfreak View Post
Anyone?
Joe, I recommend you go after the plug with a multimeter or test light with the key and the wiper switch "ON." Stick and check each slot in the plug till you know if you have power of not. BTW, have you checked the fuses? I would not just do a blanket rulling out of the ground problem, explore that further if needed.

May I recommend that you visit a site that specializes in dodges? Like www.dodgetalk.com/

Lastly, I would not try to rig up another brand and style of motor to work on your truck, a new motor will not break the bank.

BEATERS ARE NEATER
Bus Ted Knuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:58 PM   #4
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Just remove the harness plug from the wiper motor, Should be two wires one positive one ground. Put a test light on each wire to test for power through the switch to the motor, Then put the test light ground lead on the battery positive cable and touch the wire that didn't have power before. If the ground is good the test light will light up.

This test will eliminate a bad switch/ground.
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:04 AM   #5
joekewl_chevyfreak

I need to ground out the switches first of all, I've only heard of the lights switch being defective due to being poorly ground, but i will ground them both to be more positive. I have removed the wires and there are three or four wires going to it, ill have to check more in the morning.

Myspace
Old 02-12-2009, 06:32 PM   #6
slednD1

koeo tap lightly on wiper motor,i have had to replace these assy's for my customers before.as i recall it was a common problem after 80k.does the 87 have wiper delay?I cant remember,but either way it may need a new motor assy.
slednD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:52 PM   #7
joekewl_chevyfreak

nope, no relay .-. i've got a haynes repair manual that i bought a while back and it has Very poor details about the wipers and all, ill do a check again

Myspace