The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2009, 05:16 PM   #1
tommyd241

The 68' needs some love!

Its time to get my 68 with a 250 back into good running condition. I want to do a full tune-up and here is what I've come up with so far...

1. HEI distributor. From what I've read they require alot less maintenance then the points dizzys and give a little more performance. I've been looking at the factory GM HEI's at Langdons and I came across a couple on ebay. Are the ebay ones any good? I will also get some 8mm HEI wires too (only found those on ebay).

2. A rebuilt 2BBL Holley/Weber Carb, adapter, and 7.5" air cleaner from Langdons. I really just want the truck to start up easier and run smoother. Is this a good route to take? Are there any gains in performance using this carb? Also will this carb allow me to run an electric choke (I think I read that it would)? Seems like that might help when I start the motor up.

3. Other stuff like... Steel bodied inline fuel filter, oil change, tranny fluid change, radiator flush, spark plugs(what are some good ones?), etc...

4. The brakes really need some attention too. They are drum brakes on all 4 corners. They are really spongy and I really have to plan on braking way ahead of time and then press them with a good amount of force. Kinda scary actually! I'm not really sure where to start with the brakes at all.

So, if you guys would give me your input and let me know if there is any other tune-up stuff I'm missing it would be most appreciated. A lot of questions I know, but I will continue to search as well.

Thanks,

Tom
tommyd241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:05 PM   #2
Wrenchbender Ret

Re: The 68' needs some love!

Number 1. Good decision going to HEI. Ive always used factory used ones & gone through them.
2 That is a good carb but will take an adapter & modifications to install. The original Monojet is a good carb & easy to put a kit in.
3 The regular AC replacement plugs are good as any. You don't need these exotic metals & multiple electrods. I have had bad luck with Champions.
4 you can put power brakes on from a 67-70 model or you can change to discs useing 71-72 parts but then you need 5 hole wheels. I have found Carquest shoes to work very good.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:59 PM   #3
tommyd241

OK cool. So a Factory GM HEI and I can just get a rebuild kit for the monojet. I've never rebuilt or tuned a carb, but I guess no better time to start learning, right? Then some AC Delco spark plugs and some 8mm HEI plug wires.

As for the brakes.... Power brakes sound good. I can run power drum brakes all the way around right with a brake booster. This is gonna be a budget build so I can't afford to convert to 5 lug/disks/and drop spindles. Just too expensive right now. With those Carquest shoes is it a pretty straight forward replacement or do you have to get all the hardware and stuff too?

I found a pretty good looking bench seat on CL and eventually I want to do a 3/5 drop with coil drop springs up front and a flip kit in the rear since I have rear leafs.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:16 PM   #4
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

tommy,if you're going to do brakes,i suggest you go with a new M/C and new wheel cylinders also.They will probably run you $100-150 but will be the begining of a solid brake system.There's actually nothing wrong with drum brakes for normal use.They do tend to fade a bit when repeatedly used such as city stop and go driving.The HEI I used in my 250 cost me $25.00 at the JY.
When you do the brakes a kit with new springs and retainer parts is a good idea.The old ones are probably 30 years old.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:32 PM   #5
westofb
I really hate wet sanding!

you asked about plug wires, only finding them on ebay? Am quite sure you could buy a decent set from any parts store, 7mm stock replacement would save you some coin and for normal driving more than adequate. Spongy brakes, change mc first, bleed them and see what you got. If you wheel cylinders are not leaking (and working as intended too), I would leave them be, sometimes you open a can of worms trying to change them (breaking lines, bolts, etc). Good luck getting it road worthy!
westofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:33 PM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I bought an HEI from Skip White on ebay and I'm happy with it. I wouldn't recommend the 8mm plug wires, at least the ebay ones. Maybe it was just me but I couldn't get my crimpers to work on the 8mm wire ends so I bought a special one for the bigger wires and it still didn't work very well. If you get some that are specific to your engine with the dist. ends already on it this would be a moot point though....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:08 AM   #7
tommyd241

Thanks for the help guys. I think I will try and go to power drum brakes. Maybe just get a brake booster with a master cylinder change the fluid, bleed the brakes and see what happens.

Last edited by tommyd241; 02-13-2009 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:49 AM   #8
heavy71chevy

Im not trying to be a jerk man..but you have to be a suscribing member to post a want to buy ad..the mods will lock this if it g ets to bad
heavy71chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:48 PM   #9
tommyd241

Oh my bad. I'll edit my previous post.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:21 PM   #10
blakeaz33

I just went through something similar with my 68 with a 250 six. I bought an electronic ignition off ebay, bought the factory set of wires for a 1975 truck with a six and electronic ignition from Auto Zone - instead of rebuilding my original 1 bbl carb I exchanged it for a remanufactured replacement from AutoZone also - think the carb was about $130 so not too bad. Timed it to factory specs with the light. I did all this and put some miles on it on the freeway because it had just been lugged around on a farm forever and had alot of carbon build up. It's running great now, passed the strict emission guidelines they have here in the Phoenix area.
blakeaz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 04:22 AM   #11
mark 68

Don't forget to replace the the old rubber brake lines.
mark 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:50 AM   #12
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyd241 View Post
2. A rebuilt 2BBL Holley/Weber Carb, adapter, and 7.5" air cleaner from Langdons. I really just want the truck to start up easier and run smoother. Is this a good route to take? Are there any gains in performance using this carb? Also will this carb allow me to run an electric choke (I think I read that it would)? Seems like that might help when I start the motor up.
I used a Weber 32/36 on my truck at one point and although it got great gas mileage for awhile something went wrong with it and it then ran terrible. I eventually got a Edelbrock 1403 500cfm carb and it has way more power and not much worse mileage.

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:53 AM   #13
special-K
Special Order

I`d do the master & wheel cylinders as mentioned,as well as the hoses.I`d expect to replace a hard line or two,also.The ones at the wheel cylinders are usually froze and just inspect the lines on the frame for crustiness.Once you`re good on hydraulics the rest will be good.The brake hardware kits are cheap and make it a nice easy job.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:15 AM   #14
tommyd241

I'm seriously considering just getting a 6 lug disk brake/2.5" drop spindle/MC/Brake Booster kit. I figure I can get better braking and lower the front all in one shot. I can get all of that from Ecklers for under a grand shipped.

I want to stay with the original 16" 6-lug wheels.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:16 AM   #15
Skirkpat

1) I would Start with the brakes !! do it right, anything that is suspect should be replaced/repaired including the steel lines. Your truck not running is alot better than it not stopping!
2) Buy the cheapest spark plugs you can, if you pay $6 for plugs you are still going to get $1.39 worth of performance out of them. Be sure to get the proper heat range of plug.
3) Rebuilding a carb is pretty easy, but not something to figure out on your own, get someone who is GOOD at it to help or show you. Or as stated buy one already rebuilt, many trucks have burned because of a faulty carb rebuild.
4) Big spark plug wires are almost as big a waste as platnum plugs.
Skirkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:24 AM   #16
special-K
Special Order

That sounds cool,disc brakes and riginal 16" wheels.I`d look elsewhere for a better price.Eckler`s is high and on this kit they`re just marking someone else`s product up.A place like Early Classics Enterprise developes and makes these kits.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:30 AM   #17
tommyd241

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirkpat View Post
1) I would Start with the brakes !! do it right, anything that is suspect should be replaced/repaired including the steel lines. Your truck not running is alot better than it not stopping!
2) Buy the cheapest spark plugs you can, if you pay $6 for plugs you are still going to get $1.39 worth of performance out of them. Be sure to get the proper heat range of plug.
3) Rebuilding a carb is pretty easy, but not something to figure out on your own, get someone who is GOOD at it to help or show you. Or as stated buy one already rebuilt, many trucks have burned because of a faulty carb rebuild.
4) Big spark plug wires are almost as big a waste as platnum plugs.
Thanks man! Lot's of good info there. I'm definitely gonna go with the HEI conversion. Any thoughts on where I can get some good plug wires? I'm thinking just standard AC Delco for the spark plugs.

I started it up yesterday and let it idle for about 20 mins. Takes a few tries to get it started after sitting for awhile, but once it starts its good. Although, there is some white smoke when I first try and start it, but maybe cause I flooded it. I dunno. LOL.

I've noticed that it misses a little bit above 40-45 mph so thats why I think the carb needs to be tuned/adj/re-built.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:31 AM   #18
tommyd241

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
That sounds cool,disc brakes and riginal 16" wheels.I`d look elsewhere for a better price.Eckler`s is high and on this kit they`re just marking someone else`s product up.A place like Early Classics Enterprise developes and makes these kits.
Yeah I'll check ECE again. I priced all that stuff there and the shipping was ridiculous.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:26 PM   #19
Skirkpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyd241 View Post
Yeah I'll check ECE again. I priced all that stuff there and the shipping was ridiculous.
Good luck, the white smoke is probably gas, I would consider Disc brakes mandatory in my case, I drive a little to fast, and tend to space off in LaLa land occasionaly, if you have ever slammed on your brakes in traffic you will appreciate the disc's , remember in braking it is that last couple of inches that matter, good is sometimes not good enough ! if you are a safe driver, then drums might work, but please stay to the right lane if at all possible.. LOL, seriously though discs are nice when you can afford it, for my 69 Suburban I bought a disc setup of a '72, including front half of frame, and rear axle from a board member for $120.00 , It is 5 lug though... to me originality only matters when we are talking about what's in the drivers seat. I like the ease of finding 5 lug wheels as a bonus.
Skirkpat is offline   Reply With Quote